Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old August 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Default Amazon API but not yet affiliate -- can i search products ?

Hi !

Just joined datafeedr. I'm currently developing the website, nothing ready yet.
I applied to the Amazon API, and they sent me the "Access Key ID" and the "Secret Access Key" so I can get their product descriptions and start building my website. I also applied to the Amazon affiliate but got rejected, not surprisingly, since i just had a very simple demo of the website.

Now in datafeedr, when I want to search Amazon products, it's asking for:
- "Access Key ID"
- "Secret Access Key"
which I both have.... and
- Associate tag

which I do not have since my website is under construction and thus my application cannot be accepted.

I'm probably missing something, I just want to search their products (to which they gave me access through the API), setup my categories, but not yet get any commission on it.

How can I skip the unneeded associate tag field ? if I dont fill anything, then it says I need to fill it, if I fill it with say "no", it raises an error while searching for products.

Thanks a lot, everything else pretty working pretty great !
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

You will need to have your Amazon keys in order to search Amazon products. The reason for this is because Amazon limits request to their API. So if we put in our own keys into the Factory, then the limits would be reached very quickly and no one would be able to search for products from Amazon.

I would suggest submitting another site you own to Amazon to get approval. Once you have approval, you can use those keys on multiple site (I believe).

Eric
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm still confused though, because I do have the keys you are talking about: the "Access Key ID" and the "Secret Access Key" for the Product Advertising API. According to the email Amazon sent me: "The Product Advertising API gives developers like you access to Amazons product selection and discovery functionality to support advertising of Amazon products."
and
"As a Product Advertising API developer, you will need an Access Key ID and Secret Key to call the API. Obtain your Access Key ID and Secret Key here" (which I did).

So that's all I need to have access to their API through my own account.
What I do not have is what you call the "Amazon tag", which comes when joining the affiliate program, which I cant get now (and i dont have any other website). But that's not yet necessary.

Am I rightly confused ?
Thanks !
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

The problem is you also need your Amazon Associate tag in order to make an Amazon API request.

So you will need both in order to query the API.

Eric