Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Default Using teh good method for search

HI,
Ok im goign to use the "good method" when adding products via the save search route.

Usually I create comp sets and create the short code via that way surroudned by original content on wp, but with golf clubs its proving more difficult due to the lack of exact model numbers etc.

SO its easy doing a saved search under "factory products" using negative keywords etc you can get a good list which will be automatically updated.

However,Say I want to add that same list on the Amazon tab, how do I go about doing that?

Can I not save the same search i did on the "factory products"??
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Due to Amazon's very strict usage of their API and their Licensing Agreement regarding the API, integration of Amazon's products is much different than the other affiliate networks.

Saved searches for example can't be used in the Amazon section. See /showthread.php?t=5313
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Cheers Stefan,
OK so if I simply add the products from Amazon to the category they will then display with all the other products from the other merchants if I was to display shortcode for that category id?

Dave
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
OK so if I simply add the products from Amazon to the category they will then display with all the other products from the other merchants if I was to display shortcode for that category id?
That's correct.
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM

OK so before i go ahead with this this is my thinking: Bear in mind thisis for golf quipment

example: (this is how itll look in the factory:

Callaway
Drivers
mens driver
womens drivers
kids drivers
Golf Bags

Now I want to use filters obviously, but theres 2 ways i can do this:

1) Create a category page on WP for each of teh above categories ie Mens drivers, kids drivers, golf bags etc. on each page just use teh shortcode for each approproiate cetagory id.

OR

2) Still keep the same method above as I think this is the best way to SEO a website, but somehow use datafeedr itself to use the filter functionality

WOuld this work ok with the layout I have in the factory, bearing in mind I want to have other options to search like left hand, right hand, iron type (ie 3 iron) prices, brand etc?

I could literally create a page for every one of these categories on WP couldnt i? and create the saved searches on DF, and put them in each wp category page, using widgets to point to the most relevant page..is that how youd do it? Be best for seo Im thinking.
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I don't think either of those 2 methods will work. When you embed views into WP posts or pages, you:

- lose pagination functionality. So your visitors won't be able to view page 2, 3, 4, etc... of your category pages.

- lose any search filter functionality. Those only work on Datafeedr store pages, not WP pages.

Eric
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:50 AM

HI Eric,
ok thanks..hhmm right...So in short, whats the best way i can have the store functionality, but have it so I can have all the content written direct to WP.

I outsource my content to a writer that has access to my CMS, but they dont have access to datafeedr.

Is this at all possible? I dont want any content pulled from datafeedr whats soever.

The only thing I want datafeedr to do is display the list of products ( from saved searches & added products from Amazon) and also so the user can filter and search with the following criteria:

(ideally all of the below categories will have their own unique content written directly onto the wp page.

drivers
woods
irons

mens
womens
kids

left handed
right handed

1 wood
2 wood
3 wood
etc..

1 irion
2 iron
3 iron
etc

golf club sets

golf bags

golf balls

accessories

clothing
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

You could add a Custom Field value to each posts that corresponds to the category in your store it relates to. You would want that to be the Category ID.

Then add a WP query to a Text view on your Datafeedr category page. Pass the Category ID to the query so that it only returns the post with that category ID stored in the custom field of that post.

Here's more info on Custom Fields: http://codex.wordpress.org/Custom_Fields

Here's more info on custom WP queries: https://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query

And here's more info on querying based on a custom field value: https://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Re...eld_Parameters

Eric
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM

Right ok Cheers Eric..Oh Joy things are about to get technical! ha

I need to learn this though, because I think ill be needing to know about this set up for other sites I have.

SO before i start to play around with the above, is the layout I currently have in my factory for the golf domain ok to go ahead with??

OR

Have I broke down each category to much and theres no need for me to do it that way?

I was thinking have a category for each cat id so I can add it directly to the wp page, but your suggesting that i do it differently?

Basically what im asking is, with the product list I have in mind, whats the way to create the categories in the factory?

cheers mate
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

If you want a unique article for each one of those categories, then having specific category IDs for each category (instead of setting up filters) will work best for you I think.

Eric
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Ok ill keep it teh way ive got it set up now then, it smore work initially but leats itll update automatically nicely, and itll be very easy to add merchants to wont it?

SO if I do use this method, whats the way a user searchers and filters? Would they use the categories widget on WP or the datafeedr widget?

Or is filtering not an option via this method??
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Filtering is an option using this method: /showthread.php?t=3853

And they would use the built-in Datafeedr search widget.

Eric
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:35 AM

and this would be displayed on a wp category page on the side bar which when clicked ie "mens 3 iron - left handed - price range 300 - 400" it takes them through to the domain.com/store which I can be blocked form the search engines right mate?

Out of curiosity Eric, (Ill have to get a techie to do this for me I think), how much would you charge for this to be set up as an installation service?
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Yes, that is correct.

Unfortunately we don't do custom work.

Eric
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Right ok Eric thanks...Ill have a go and get back to you if i get stuck.

Dave
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Sorry mate just had a couple more thoughts:

If i set up the wp pages for each category, using custom fields and queries etc (whatever they are! ha)

Will the categories which will be displayed on relevant WP pages (via shortcode) have the pagination functionality?

In my head the front end will all be WP searchable categories, with pages set up for each category unique content and cat id short code underneath. ( everything rankable to search engines).

The back end would be the domain.com/store "blocked from the search engine)

From the "front end" would you click direct to merchant OR somewhere into the store?

From an seo perspective I would have thought youd not want want to be sending the user straight to the merchant from here do you??, Im thinking it may look a bit deliberate and google will see right through that wont it?
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
If i set up the wp pages for each category, using custom fields and queries etc (whatever they are! ha)

Will the categories which will be displayed on relevant WP pages (via shortcode) have the pagination functionality?
If you are setting up WP pages and placing Datafeedr shortcodes in those WP pages, paging and filtering functionality will not work.

Quote:
In my head the front end will all be WP searchable categories, with pages set up for each category unique content and cat id short code underneath. ( everything rankable to search engines).
Yes, all content on your pages no matter if it's displayed in the store or via a shortcode will be indexable by the search engines.

Quote:
From an seo perspective I would have thought youd not want want to be sending the user straight to the merchant from here do you??, Im thinking it may look a bit deliberate and google will see right through that wont it?
I guess that depends on your overall strategy. However I'm not an SEO expert so I can't say for sure if this is good or bad in Google's eyes.

Eric
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Hi Eric,
OK the biggest problem I have now then, if I add short code for cat id's, say for Mens-righthanded-drivers

say theres 100 products in the category, how do I display it on teh "front end" (wordpress post)?

each button/image will be clickable to the /store thats no problem, but if it doesnt have pagination Ill only display about 20 or so of them dont i on the WP page?

AM I not able to display all 100?
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

You can set your Product list to display 100 products (or more) using the Products per page field in your Product list settings ().

Eric
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:50 AM

Jobs a good un! Thanks for your help Eric, I think I know how to go about this now...fingers crossed it works!