Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:42 PM

Default How to populate "SID" in affiliate links for Commission Junction

We are in the process of setting up a new store that pulls product feeds from Commission Junction (CJ). CJ uses the variable "SID" in their affiliate links to track the individual that made the purchase, and we need to track this value. I can see that Datafeedr is already generating SID= in the affiliate URLs, but it's empty (see below):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rain+Com...5701102&loc=01

How do I populate the value for the SID? We will be generating this value on our side. I just need to know how to get it into Datafeedr and ultimately into the URLs that it is generating.

Thanks.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

What value do you want to use for the SID?

Eric
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

What value do you want to use for the SID?

Eric
Hi Eric,

A random SID is generated for each user when they register and then stored into a DB. When they log in, it is accessible to us as a variable. So we just need to figure out how the SID= portion of the affiliate URL is generated in Datafeedr. I know it has to do with the REFERRER_ID tracking parameters... I'm just not sure how those are accessed/set.

thanks!
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

We currently don't support custom referer_ids, so the only way is to modify the plugin like this:

Locate the line saying

PHP Code:
$track_id $this->track_id(); 
Edit this line and insert your SID variable instead of "$this->track_id()". Note that this code is inside a function, so you need to use a superglobal array like "$GLOBALS" or "$_SESSION" to refer to your variable, for example

PHP Code:
$track_id $GLOBALS['MY_OWN_SID']; 
or

PHP Code:
$track_id $_SESSION['MY_OWN_SID']; 
Just a disclaimer, we can't support the Datafeedr plugin if it has been modified.

Eric
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks Eric, I will try this out.

I'm curious why Datafeedr would generate affiliate URLs for CJ containing "SID=" with no supported way of populating it. Is it planned to be supported in the future?
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:21 AM

We DO use and populate the subid fields from the different affiliate networks by using the REFERRER_ID variable.

/show...69&postcount=2
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
We DO use and populate the subid fields from the different affiliate networks by using the REFERRER_ID variable.

/show...69&postcount=2

Thanks Stefan. So how then can I populate the SID? The post referenced above makes it sound like the SID is generated by Datafeedr and populated by default. In my affiliate URLs it is empty. They are in the format:

...(url)..&skuId=7750053&ci_src=11138&ci_sku=77500 53&AID=10474050&PID=5701102&SID=&URL=...

So is there a supported way that I'm supposed to populate that SID in Datafeedr? Do I replace REFERRER_ID in the "Affiliate IDs & Tracking Parameters" section with my own variable??

I am willing to try the method Eric listed above, but would prefer a "supported" method.

thanks again
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Basically, the REFERRER_ID is used to track users on your site and their purchases. Here's more info on how tracking works in Datafeedr: http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/146

Hopefully that will fit your needs in terms of the information you are trying to gather. If not, you still might need to make the change I mentioned above.

Eric
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosweb View Post
In my affiliate URLs it is empty.
That's probably because you didn't access your website from a third party URL.

If there's no referrer information the subid remains empty.

That's the case when typing in your URL directly in the browser or by accessing your website via the browser history or your bookmarks for example.

Just do a site: command in Google and click on one of your URLs. A unique number should have been assigned to the subid.

Then check the tracking section in Wordpress under Datafeedr > Tracking. That subid should now be available along with the referrer info.

If a subid is reported in your affiliate stats you can look up the subid under Datafeedr > Tracking and you know where your sale is coming from.

However, if you want to track other information like the ID of your users for example you have to follow Eric's method.

If you're not familiar with coding and want to make this work maybe David Hilditch from affiliatewebdesigners.com can help.

/showthread.php?t=8000

http://www.affiliatewebdesigners.com...web-designers/
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
That's probably because you didn't access your website from a third party URL.

If there's no referrer information the subid remains empty.

That's the case when typing in your URL directly in the browser or by accessing your website via the browser history or your bookmarks for example.

Just do a site: command in Google and click on one of your URLs. A unique number should have been assigned to the subid.

Then check the tracking section in Wordpress under Datafeedr > Tracking. That subid should now be available along with the referrer info.

If a subid is reported in your affiliate stats you can look up the subid under Datafeedr > Tracking and you know where your sale is coming from.

However, if you want to track other information like the ID of your users for example you have to follow Eric's method.

If you're not familiar with coding and want to make this work maybe David Hilditch from affiliatewebdesigners.com can help.

/showthread.php?t=8000

http://www.affiliatewebdesigners.com...web-designers/

Thank you Stefan, this finally answers my question 100%. I now realize that the SID is generated from referral info only... I was not grasping this before.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am all set to proceed with Eric's method.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Hi marcosweb,

I have the same requirements. Can you please advise if Eric's method worked for you?

Thanks,
Hemang
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourthevoice View Post
Hi marcosweb,

I have the same requirements. Can you please advise if Eric's method worked for you?

Thanks,
Hemang
Sorry for the delay... Yes, we were able to set the SID using Eric's method described above... Specifically, we are pulling the SID from a cookie value that is being set elsewhere on our site. Then inside datafeedr, if the cookie value is set, we directly assign its value to $track_id. Otherwise we redirect to a page telling the user to login. The first line is the original setting of $track_id, commented out, so you can see where in the code we put this:

//$track_id = $this->track_id();
if(isset($_COOKIE['members_id'])){
$track_id = $_COOKIE['members_id'];
}
else {
header('Location: http://please-login/');
exit;
}