Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old September 15th, 2012, 02:07 AM

Default How are people using the Spin Content feature?

I've been thinking that rather than creating a unique set of Spin Content keywords and replacement words and phrases for each store, trying to create a standardized GENERAL dictionary or wiki or spin content entries that I can replicate and copy into every store I have.

And, when I say I'm trying to create a standardized GENERAL diction or wiki of spin content, I mean that I'm "thinking" of doing that and, actually have not done a bit of work on this yet!

I thought I would check with the forum first.

Q) Are you even using the Spin Content feature?

Q) what's your strategy?

HART
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800HART View Post
I've been thinking that rather than creating a unique set of Spin Content keywords and replacement words and phrases for each store, trying to create a standardized GENERAL dictionary or wiki or spin content entries that I can replicate and copy into every store I have.

And, when I say I'm trying to create a standardized GENERAL diction or wiki of spin content, I mean that I'm "thinking" of doing that and, actually have not done a bit of work on this yet!

I thought I would check with the forum first.

Q) Are you even using the Spin Content feature?

Q) what's your strategy?

HART
Greeting Sir

A) No not using the spin feature

B) Articles and reviews are now outsourced, therefore unique.

C) Strategy - is use unique copy not spun or scapped , no matter how good it may come out.

If Mr Google goes about penalising every single affiliate store for duplicate content because of the descriptions in the datafeed, then I think Mr Google is buying a huge fight with a lot of people. To expect every single ecommerce affiliate site to have unique descriptions is ludicious and that is sayting it nicely.

Some of the stores I seen are carrying thousands of products and who is going to change every single description of these products.

The Guys here cannot be expected to code something into the factory for this type of mind boggling behaviour of a company that is trying to address issue in regard rubbish sites and seems to have lost its way on how to do this this.

What it is doing is penalising a lot of genuine affilate businesses and people are starting to get a tad upset. And the way they go about it another issue itself, dont tell you why they have banned your site, just some vague policy as a guideline and then send you to a forum to enquire from people who seems to not employed by Google to tell you why this happened.

Absolute power corrupts and creates revolutions.
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM

I agree that unique content is much better than spin content, but I'm even too lazy to spin the content and too poor (at the moment) to finance outsourced content.

So - this evening I took a closer look at the drip feeds and posts that are coming out of my feeds from the stores created .... and the only thing I could think of that could generically be applied to all stores - were to change the content of the buttons
eg.
"Learn More About This Product" ... (details link)
"Buy This Product From" ... (merchant link)

The only common thread that might apply to many stores may be phrases in the description "make money online" or "how to make money" and most feeds do not seem that congested and keyword stuffed i.m.o. AND if I were to fix that I'd probably make it worse. So, I decided to just leave all of that blank and ignore.

Quote:
Some of the stores I seen are carrying thousands of products and who is going to change every single description of these products.
Exactly - with one store it's crazy enough if you have a lot of products .. with a multitude of stores I know I don't want to even try.
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Hart - I think it would be a bad idea to go for the spun content. Here's why:

Google Panda penalises sites based on user metrics - primarily a high exit rate, presumably combined with another search for a similar term or a click on a different link in googles search results telling google that the site was crap.

If you put spun content on your pages your exit rates will be extremely high and you will be hit by the Panda algorithm (once your traffic gets above a certain amount so they can actually measure the user-metrics).

re: 'duplicate content' there is a common misconception about the duplicate content penalties that exist with google - it's not really true in the sense you're thinking. Duplicate content in google terms refers to the case where you have two very similar pages with duplicate content on your own site.

This 'duplicate content' penalty exists because in the past it was possible to artificially lift your page rank value by creating thousands of identical pages - each page contributed 1 point to your page rank value (plus extra points for any links to that page).

In this way, sites were able to create 1000 pages all pointing at 1 other page to give that other page a page-rank of 1001. The duplicate content system now distributes the page rank value of 1 equally amongst all the duplicate pages on your own site - e.g. in this case, each of the 1000 pages gets a page rank of 1/1000th. This means the target page has a pagerank of 2.

In practice, the numbers are a little different but you should get the idea.

The real point with Google and thin affiliate sites all boils down to user-metrics. If the user experience is fantastic and you have content copied from elsewhere the fact that your user experience is fantastic and users are staying will instruct google that you are the authority for this information - even if you did not write it originally.

Dave Hilditch
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the insights Dave!

I've already decided not to use the Spin Content feature inside the Factory. Now I kind of wonder why it's even there?!

HART

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysaver View Post
Hart - I think it would be a bad idea to go for the spun content. Here's why:

Google Panda penalises sites based on user metrics - primarily a high exit rate, presumably combined with another search for a similar term or a click on a different link in googles search results telling google that the site was crap.

If you put spun content on your pages your exit rates will be extremely high and you will be hit by the Panda algorithm (once your traffic gets above a certain amount so they can actually measure the user-metrics).

re: 'duplicate content' there is a common misconception about the duplicate content penalties that exist with google - it's not really true in the sense you're thinking. Duplicate content in google terms refers to the case where you have two very similar pages with duplicate content on your own site.

This 'duplicate content' penalty exists because in the past it was possible to artificially lift your page rank value by creating thousands of identical pages - each page contributed 1 point to your page rank value (plus extra points for any links to that page).

In this way, sites were able to create 1000 pages all pointing at 1 other page to give that other page a page-rank of 1001. The duplicate content system now distributes the page rank value of 1 equally amongst all the duplicate pages on your own site - e.g. in this case, each of the 1000 pages gets a page rank of 1/1000th. This means the target page has a pagerank of 2.

In practice, the numbers are a little different but you should get the idea.

The real point with Google and thin affiliate sites all boils down to user-metrics. If the user experience is fantastic and you have content copied from elsewhere the fact that your user experience is fantastic and users are staying will instruct google that you are the authority for this information - even if you did not write it originally.

Dave Hilditch
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM

It could still be a useful feature for very niche sites - if you stay under the Panda radar by having < 200 visits per day then it could be useful.
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysaver View Post
It could still be a useful feature for very niche sites - if you stay under the Panda radar by having < 200 visits per day then it could be useful.
Greetings Dave

Thanks for the insight, however makes me wonder how then my site got whacked by google. It has less than 200 visits per day, uses only unique written reviews and articles.

Here are the stats from Google analytics

Visits: 426

Unique Visitors: 325

Pageviews: 1,259

Pages / Visit: 2.96

Avg. Visit Duration: 00:04:30

Bounce Rate: 57.98%

% New Visits: 76.29%

The bounce rate is high, so from what you wrote because that is high Google has deemed this is a thin affiliate site and decides to pull it from their search engine.

No oine else can tell me the reason why this has happen to my site and what was pointed out to me, I fixed on the spot which was only one alteration.

I see other datafeedr shop sites just displaying products and nothing else, meaning no articles or reviews and they are not banned so ??????????????????????

My site I decided to add some value by having articles written around some search terms, same with reviews (only two so far) and I get kicked out of Google - no sense to me.

Last edited by nzcid : September 16th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Theres more to a Google slap than just content especially with the recent Penguin update which targets websites with over-optimised links. Second, if your content, unique or not, is similar in style to ehow and others like it (lots and lots and lots of how to articles!!?), then again you can get punished. Going forward content needs to be unique, good quality and if you can, don't make it obviously keyword focused - this is very easy for Google to spot. For instance I read about a real estate agency who wrote lots of articles about "real estate" which is to most people boring and dry and got nowhere....then they started thinking outside the box...did a piece.. "a valuation on the White House" which went viral - lots of traffic, links etc. You can read the full article here.

FB
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:55 AM

I think you got hit by something other than Panda. Something useful to check in Google Analytics:

Only view traffic for new visitors

This gives you the best sense of how your site is performing without polluting the stats with data from your friends and family or your own traffic.

I see you've added the delivery brand association to your site as I recommended which is awesome - should help with your conversion and bounce rates. I still think you need to improve the image you have at the top. That's got to be hurting your bounce rate.