Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old April 6th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Question Which videos for Widget Context plugin & shortcodes

Eric, I watched some more DFR videos yesterday. In 2, you mentioned others where you would go more in-depth with Widget Context plugin & also shortcodes.

Looking at the Video Tutorials page, a few mention widgets in their caption & 1 says shortcodes but I'd rather go straight to the right ones; otherwise I'll get off-track with what I'm wanting to do.

Which videos are these, please?
Wb: BrentWilliamz.tel
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Datafeedr Team

Here's the one that covers the Widget Context: http://www.datafeedr.com/videos?vide...rc=yt#videotop
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM

OK, I was afraid the Widget Context video was the long (13+ mins) one!

Oh well, we don't get anything for nothing. Thanks, Eric, I'll get into it now.

I presume the shortcode one is http://www.datafeedr.com/videos/?vid...rc=yt#videotop AS CAPTIONED because you haven't said otherwise.
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:40 PM

Nope, http://www.datafeedr.com/videos/?vid...rc=yt#videotop ISN'T the one for shortcodes.

However, in this video you said, "You may remember we covered how to put shortcodes into a post in another video."

SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT >>

Well, the OTHER video you're mentioning is the one I want to watch to make sure I haven't missed anything important about DFR shortcodes into WP.

Do you remember which video now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shortcodes in DFR.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	457  
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

These are the videos with shortcodes:
http://www.datafeedr.com/videos?vide...rc=yt#videotop
http://www.datafeedr.com/videos?vide...rc=yt#videotop

Also, see these:
http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/185
http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/167
http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/184

Eric
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Thumbs up

Except for the 1st one (which I've watched 3 times already), the rest are exactly what I need.

Definitely food for thought. Very powerful use of shortcodes with Datafeedr; might even go nicely with our PremiumPress themed websites. Shall do initial testing tomorrow.

You obviously put a lot of creative brain juice into this one, Eric. Let's see if we can maximise its capabilities for OUR sites.

Thank you very much. G'night.
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwz View Post
Except for the 1st one (which I've watched 3 times already), the rest are exactly what I need.

Definitely food for thought. Very powerful use of shortcodes with Datafeedr; might even go nicely with our PremiumPress themed websites. Shall do initial testing tomorrow.

You obviously put a lot of creative brain juice into this one, Eric. Let's see if we can maximise its capabilities for OUR sites.

Thank you very much. G'night.
You mean like this http://www.holisticnz.com/ which is using the custom view "get products". I thought I try that view first rather than just embedding one product.

I then went through all my posts and used the short code to show three products related to the post heading, bee Pollen, Bee Venom and so forth.

Also did this on another site with a completely different set of products so it will be interesting to see what happens along with my other little tool I use to get the posts out there in this huge world of internet.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:53 PM

Is the slogan on your banner supposed to be "You speak" or "You seek" 'cos it says, "You seak" instead.

On a major high note, very good work on HolisticNZ.com.

Ahhhh... I see what you mean, nzcid.

Quote:
...which is using the custom view "get products". I thought I try that view first rather than just embedding one product.

I then went through all my posts and used the short code to show three products related to the post heading, bee Pollen, Bee Venom and so forth.
Well done & thank you for sharing it. Gonna help us get a better handle on this.
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Is the slogan on your banner supposed to be "You speak" or "You seek" 'cos it says, "You seak" instead.

On a major high note, very good work on HolisticNZ.com.

Ahhhh... I see what you mean, nzcid.

Well done & thank you for sharing it. Gonna help us get a better handle on this.
Great pickup - all fixed "You Speak" thanks a heap. Thanks for the feedback, try my best and I getting the hang of it and now it be nice to see some dollars rolling back the other way

Yep the "get products" to me gives a far better result and easier to work with as you are only using a word (used in the products somewhere) to get them to appear.

Try this site and see what you think;

http://www.topclassjewelry.com/
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:21 PM

This

http://www.topclassjewelry.com/

needs now to be this

http://www.truetonz.com/
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:26 AM

nzcid, another good site for customers to buy great NZ products.

Yours are coming along nicely. We're slowly working on too many sites at once, same end point as you though.

You see, we had a plan, we got sidetracked, got back on track, plan changed with more sites & more products & more merchants than intended. So, of course the decisions are more numerous, the timeframe is extended. Otherwise I'd put a URL up here myself.

Anyway, the 2 important things you really need to get done with both those sites, to bring in droves of buying customers, are:

1. Meta-titles = page titles = search engine results = Headline
70 characters max., using keyphrase + call-to-action/buy-now reason
EXAMPLES
SLUG/URL: exclusive-new-zealand-jade-wood-bone-hand-carvings-pearl-shell-pendants
META/PAGE TITLE: Exclusive New Zealand Jade Wood Bone Hand-Carvings Pearl Shell Pendants (72 characters, so a coupla letters chopped on SERP won't matter)

Tie in 1. with 2. >>

2. Meta-descriptions = on-page category descriptions = semantic Google juice
150 250 words incl. category keyphrase about the category. Interesting blurb too.
Just grab a few sentences from your products for each category, not much work that way. Only have to edit a little to get them to flow together, & search engines don't give bad marks for normal "non-award-winning" writing. Put it above or below (or split it into 2 bits for both) the products. How easy is that!

When you've got your descriptions done onpage, add them & meta-titles into the category page meta-fields using an SEO plugin such as All in One SEO Pack or WordPress SEO by Yoast. They'll save some labour here. (I don't like how everyone relies on these plugins for page titles, hence my suggestions in this post).

REMEMBER: Nothing beats strong Headline/Page Titles matching customer search engine enquiries. Just think what you'd click on in the SERP: Home, or NZ Jewellery & Gifts, or "Buy Genuine New Zealand Carvings Greenstone Maori Art Necklaces Jewellery" ?

80% Done is better than perfect, & you're nearly done, mate. Great work.

PS Your website banner name is Holistic.com; doesn't it need NZ?
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
nzcid, another good site for customers to buy great NZ products.

Yours are coming along nicely. We're slowly working on too many sites at once, same end point as you though.

You see, we had a plan, we got sidetracked, got back on track, plan changed with more sites & more products & more merchants than intended. So, of course the decisions are more numerous, the timeframe is extended. Otherwise I'd put a URL up here myself.

Anyway, the 2 important things you really need to get done with both those sites, to bring in droves of buying customers, are:

1. Meta-titles = page titles = search engine results = Headline
70 characters max., using keyphrase + call-to-action/buy-now reason
EXAMPLES
SLUG/URL: exclusive-new-zealand-jade-wood-bone-hand-carvings-pearl-shell-pendants
META/PAGE TITLE: Exclusive New Zealand Jade Wood Bone Hand-Carvings Pearl Shell Pendants (72 characters, so a coupla letters chopped on SERP won't matter)

Tie in 1. with 2. >>

2. Meta-descriptions = on-page category descriptions = semantic Google juice
150 250 words incl. category keyphrase about the category. Interesting blurb too.
Just grab a few sentences from your products for each category, not much work that way. Only have to edit a little to get them to flow together, & search engines don't give bad marks for normal "non-award-winning" writing. Put it above or below (or split it into 2 bits for both) the products. How easy is that!

When you've got your descriptions done onpage, add them & meta-titles into the category page meta-fields using an SEO plugin such as All in One SEO Pack or WordPress SEO by Yoast. They'll save some labour here. (I don't like how everyone relies on these plugins for page titles, hence my suggestions in this post).

REMEMBER: Nothing beats strong Headline/Page Titles matching customer search engine enquiries. Just think what you'd click on in the SERP: Home, or NZ Jewellery & Gifts, or "Buy Genuine New Zealand Carvings Greenstone Maori Art Necklaces Jewellery" ?

80% Done is better than perfect, & you're nearly done, mate. Great work.

PS Your website banner name is Holistic.com; doesn't it need NZ?
Wow so much in one posting. What you talk about is where I fall down and struggle with but I am determined this time around not to give up. I am really looking to do something with these sites.

Thanks for the header pickup - a issue with me personally, had since I was born, miss a letter,word or number(s) or I reverse them. Really should get someone to double check what I have written.

As far as the yoast plug-in I try to avoid overloading wp with plug-ins so I like to try and use DF categopry headings etc if I can get away with it.

May want to use one of the contact forms on one of the sites to email me personally as I see you are involved in SEO stuff and we may be able to do something there.

Know you are busy, just a thought as SEO is a weakness of mine, and I would say a lot of people on this forum. Hence it was great that the team here had Michael talk to us.

Last edited by nzcid : April 9th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.