Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old October 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Default Adding New View Master Comparison Sets

Hi Eric,
Ok ive tried adding a new custom view shortcode to my category page:

[DFR:Lego Compare Sets]

I was hoping it will display a row of 4 "master products" which then link through to each of the comparison sets.

Can you please advise what im doing wrong?

Thanks
Dave
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
I was hoping it will display a row of 4 "master products" which then link through to each of the comparison sets.

Can you please advise what im doing wrong?
What is going wrong?
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Also is it possible to only display certain comparison sets?, as some of the ones ive already created ive embedded then directly on to the page useing custom view "Embed Comparison Set", so I dont want these on the product list under the view "Lego Compare Sets".
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Well basically I think i may be doing it wrong, I have 2 kind of views :

1) Embed Comparison Set - for embedding comparion set straight onto teh post No problem)

2) Lego Compare Sets - I want this displaying a product list of what I grab from the feed, display just the master image, and have it click through to the comparison set with description etc.

Dave
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
2) Lego Compare Sets - I want this displaying a product list of what I grab from the feed, display just the master image, and have it click through to the comparison set with description etc.
But what's the problem? What isn't it doing or what don't you know how to do?
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM

if you see here http://best-toy-prices.co.uk/lego/

the shortcode is literally displaying, but id expect to see master product images here right?

Which hopefully would link to the comparison set for that product;

so 1) why isnt there a master product list displaying

and

2) once it displays will it link to the comparison set, if not how do i do it?

thanks
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

1. You need to add some HTML to your comparison set template area. It's empty.

2. Where exactly did you place the [DFR:Lego Compare Sets] code? In a template file or in a blog post? Somewhere else?

Eric
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Oh so these requires html code to make this work?

2) the code is placed in a "category" I do use pages and posts, but the way this sites been set up, so I can have excerpt posts at the bottom, i need to build the page in the category section.
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Oh so these requires html code to make this work?
Yes, but just use one of the snippets provided. It's easy.

Quote:
2) the code is placed in a "category" I do use pages and posts, but the way this sites been set up, so I can have excerpt posts at the bottom, i need to build the page in the category section.
I'm confused as to how a code can be placed in a "category". Do you mean you added it in the category description field for one of your categories?

Eric
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM

sent you a msg mate
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
sent you a msg mate
I see you have the shortcode inside your category's description (along with lots of HTML). Shortcodes are not processed inside there.

I think storing all that HTML code in your category description is not the best idea but I will leave that up to you. But shortcodes will not work in there.

What will work is adding the following code to your archive.php file (the file responsible for displaying your category pages).

I added the following code to that page (between the category title and the posts) and it displays your comparison set on the page. Here's the code:

PHP Code:
<?php if (is_category('lego')) : ?>
    <div style="margin: 10px 0;">
        <?php echo datafeedr_tag('Lego Compare Sets'); ?>
        <div class="clear"></div>
    </div>
<?php endif; ?>
Basically, that code says "If this category has the slug "lego", then display the "Lego Compare Sets" view. If this category's slug is NOT "lego", don't display anything.".

You should remove the shortcode from your category descriptions.

Eric
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM

Hi Eric,
OK ive took on board what you said about it not being a good idea to keep all that html in categories. So I have now moved them over to pages. Unfortunately I lose the page excerpts, but I think thats a minor thing.

OK, Right now http://best-toy-prices.co.uk/lego/ is displaying a product list.

However, it doesnt seem to be teh master, and when I lick on it it doesn't display the corresponding comparison set. Its linking to "detail" but i want it linking to the comparion set and detail" How do I do this?

Also, I need to have certain master/comparison sets related to the view "Lego Compare Sets" For instance its showing "hot wheels" right now which obviously isnt a lego toy. SO can i choose which comparison sets I want to relate to the view "Lego Compare Sets"?

Thanks
Dave
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM

HI Eric,
OK I think ive sorted out the details page end. basically Ive just added comparison set to it in the default view.

SO what I want to be able to do now is associate certain products with the custom view "Lego Compare Sets" and then embed the shortcode on my posts to only display products relevant to that category.

Is there a way of doing this? otherwise Ill just have a load of unrelated products all put together in one place wont i?

Thanks
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

We're still looking into the issue mentioned in post #12. There seems to be a bug. I will update this thread once that's resolved.

In the meantime, you should have a look at custom query strings: http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/154

Eric
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM

OK thanks Mate!
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Ah I think ill be doing this with the category ID wont I? Then embedding the short code for that category, which will then link to the detail/comparison set.

So its just a case of now waiting to see if the master image can be displayed for each product under the category, which I presume is what your working on.
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

The reason not all 8 comparison set master products were being displayed is because only 2 of the products actually exist in the categories in your store.

So, you will have to make sure that the products you want to appear in the list you are generating are also in a category in your store.

Yes, you will need to also add a category ID to the query string like this: compset_status=2&c=123456 (where 123456 is the category ID).
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Hi Eric,
Ok cheers for that. Wen creating the category set. For instance im doing " Lego city"

Do I need ot add each product for instance "LEGO City 7498 - Police Station", Ive created a comparison set for this. But when I click back on the category Lego City theres no products displaying in the factory.

So do I need to add them all individually first to the category and then create a comparison set?

Then presumably use the code compset_status=2&c=123456 and link it to the Lego City category, which I then embed on my page right?
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Yes, just add those products to one of your current categories. Then you should be good to go.

Eric
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Right Eric I think im making progress now, couple of quick questions if I may:

How do I delete a comparison set, Cant seem to figure it out! sorry!

And

I need to make the images smaller http://best-toy-prices.co.uk/lego/ so I can fit 4 in a row, Although i thought I have already opted for 4 in a row?

Cheers
Dave