Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
cspdfadmin cspdfadmin is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
Default Duplicating Store to Modify It for Another Use, Yet Keeping Original for Later Use

Eric and Stefan,

I have asked this before in email, but figured we could make a post of it, so that others could benefit to.

In V3, if you want to duplicate a store and then alter the duplicate, but keep the original around for later use, how do you effect that?

Example.

I have 5 stores, and am paying my monthly fee for a 5 store account.

One of my stores is a seasonal store, and it changes every few months with a new seasonal theme and collection of products.

I have a valentine's store for my seasonal store currently. After Valentine's Day is over, I will want to copy the store, and then modify it for St. Patrick's Day. Once St. Patrick's Day is over, I will create a Spring/Summer version of the seasonal store.

As we roll through seasons, I ideally will want to keep the prior seasonal stores' subscriptions in "cold storage" until they are needed again next year.

In V1, you had to basically destroy each season's store with each new season. It would take me a whole day to rebuild the new seasonal store with all of the categories and product subscriptions re-edited for the current season.

In V3, can you keep copied stores "offline" and then swap out connection keys in the plugin on your WordPress page to bring those stores "alive" again in the future?

I have 3 specific "how to" questions

1) How do you duplicate a store?

2) Will a new connection key be created with the copied version of the store, and is that how one might go about swapping out the seasonal store contents at the plug in level....namely you just change the connection key, and boom....Valentine's Day store becomes St. Patrick's Day store (assuming I have already copied the Valentine's Day store in the Factory, modified it for St. Patrick's Day, and have a new connection key related to the copied/modified St. Patrick's Day store.) In a year's time, I would simply swap back in the connection key for the Valentine's Day store which was in "cold storage" into my plug in on my Seasonal store WordPress admin page, and its subscription searches would re-point back to the Valentine's Day store in the Factory, update and flow current products into my Seasonal store at that time. Correct?

3) I am hoping a duplicated, but not "active" store (i.e. a connection key not currently making active calls to the Factory from Word Press plug in), does not trigger additional billing concerns. In other words, if I only have 5 actively used connection keys, am I still ok billing wise with my 5 account monthly bill, even if over time, I have say 4 other "non active" copied stores sitting "inactive" in the Factory (not making active calls to the Factory from a plug in).

If the above is possible, you will have just saved me hours of time re-building my seasonal store every few months. That will make me very happy!

Let me know.
  #2  
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:17 PM
Eric's Avatar
Eric Eric is offline
Datafeedr Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,902
Default

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspdfadmin View Post
1) How do you duplicate a store?
Factory > Your Store > Store Menu > Duplicate store

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspdfadmin View Post
2) Will a new connection key be created with the copied version of the store, and is that how one might go about swapping out the seasonal store contents at the plug in level....namely you just change the connection key, and boom....Valentine's Day store becomes St. Patrick's Day store (assuming I have already copied the Valentine's Day store in the Factory, modified it for St. Patrick's Day, and have a new connection key related to the copied/modified St. Patrick's Day store.) In a year's time, I would simply swap back in the connection key for the Valentine's Day store which was in "cold storage" into my plug in on my Seasonal store WordPress admin page, and its subscription searches would re-point back to the Valentine's Day store in the Factory, update and flow current products into my Seasonal store at that time. Correct?
You will need to change your connection key as well as the domain name listed in the Basic Settings menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspdfadmin View Post
3) I am hoping a duplicated, but not "active" store (i.e. a connection key not currently making active calls to the Factory from Word Press plug in), does not trigger additional billing concerns. In other words, if I only have 5 actively used connection keys, am I still ok billing wise with my 5 account monthly bill, even if over time, I have say 4 other "non active" copied stores sitting "inactive" in the Factory (not making active calls to the Factory from a plug in).
Think of it this way... if you have the plugin installed on 5 different domains (or sub-domains or sub folders), you are fine. If you have 6 or more instances of the plugin installed, then you are violating your current license.

By design, you won't be able to update your store if you have 5 or more stores in the Factory under your account. So if you create a 6th store you will either need to upgrade your account or delete another store before you will be able to update the 6th store with products or update any of your already created stores.

Let us know if you have any questions about all of that.

Eric
  #3  
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:59 PM
cspdfadmin cspdfadmin is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
Default

Eric,

Thanks as always for the clarification.

I only have 5 Plug-ins installed on 5 subdomains, so fine on that front with my current license.

So, does "Duplicate Store" essentially mean "Make a brand new store utilizing the subscriptions of the store being duplicated?"

Contrast that to the notion of saving a particular store's subscription parameters so that you can quickly bring those search parameter's back into use in the Factory at a later date. I would not need a 6th store in such a case. I just would need to be able to re-import into the Factory the search parameter subscriptions for multiple variations/seasons of my 5th store. Imagine being able to save a .txt type file or whatever for each Seasonal store's search parameters (once created) that could imported back into the Factory. You can think of it not as a product backup, but a search parameter back up that can be re-imported. In the Factory, I can imagine two new menu items:

1) "Download A Backup of This Store's Search Subscription Parameters"
2) "Import A Backup of this Store's Subscription Parameters"

Again using my seasonal example, in a few weeks I will have to manually edit each category and sub category's search subscription parameters to replace search terms like "hearts, cupid, valentine's" used for Valentine's Day with terms like "shamrock, Irish, leprechaun" for St. Patrick's Day. That process is time consuming since I have 20-30 total categories/sub categories to make that change for, run product updates, and review search result product quality for relevance. If I can cut out the first step with a re-import feature, I save myself a bunch of time.

Right now, duplicating a store, or editing an existing store essentially leave me in the same operational place....time consuming manual edits to search parameters.

Make sense?

Is this now a new feature discussion vs. a How To discussion. If so, feel free to move the discussion to the new feature list area to keep it in mind for the next release.

Do keep up the good work...I am VERY excited about V3 features. You guys rock!!!!!!

When will the Beta period for V3 come to completion?
  #4  
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Eric's Avatar
Eric Eric is offline
Datafeedr Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,902
Default

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspdfadmin View Post
So, does "Duplicate Store" essentially mean "Make a brand new store utilizing the subscriptions of the store being duplicated?"
Duplicating a store duplicates everything. Categories, products, subscriptions, settings and Views stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspdfadmin View Post
Contrast that to the notion of saving a particular store's subscription parameters so that you can quickly bring those search parameter's back into use in the Factory at a later date.

1) "Download A Backup of This Store's Search Subscription Parameters"
2) "Import A Backup of this Store's Subscription Parameters"
This is not currently possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspdfadmin View Post
Is this now a new feature discussion vs. a How To discussion. If so, feel free to move the discussion to the new feature list area to keep it in mind for the next release.
As far as I know, there is no feature like this listed in the Feature Request forum. It's probably best that a new, concise thread be created there so the feature request does not become buried in replies and discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspdfadmin View Post
When will the Beta period for V3 come to completion?
We have no schedule. We are just working until we have a solid, stable Factory and plugin.

Eric
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.