Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old July 9th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Default limit size of product description

Hey guys,
What I would like to do is limit the length of the product descriptions on the detail page. (the page you go to when you click on a product, like this one... http://saveongolf.net/store/cobra-ir...7800864607568/

I'd like to limit that to a certain number of characters. The main reason is so things below it like coupons and comparison sets aren't so far down the page and to make people click the see it button to get more info.

Assuming this is possible, is there a way to add something to the end of each description that says something like "click see it for further details" or something like that?

Thanks.
Ken

http://saveongolf.net
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

You can change that here: The Factory > Your Store > VIEWS > PRODUCT DETAILS > Default > Product detail module > Theme settings ()

Change this: [product.description]

To this:
PHP Code:
<?php echo substr($product->description0160); ?>
160 is the number of characters to display. You can change that to whatever you'd like.

Eric
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:46 AM

That worked well Eric. Thanks. I changed it to 600 though. On the second part of the question... is there a way to have it say something at the end of the description like "..." or "...click see it for more details". ?
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Could the change I made cause the site to blow up in Internet Explorer? I just checked the site in I.E. and it's all messed up. I'm guessing it was a different update I might have did today but I updated two plugins and the theme today as well. Just didn't check I.E. until all was done. Yikes.

http://saveongolf.net
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Datafeedr Team

Those changes would have no affect in the browser. Those changes are all server side, not client side.
Old July 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM

Thanks.
However you still haven't answered the question about adding something to the end of the descriptions that are now shorter? Is there a way to add a "..." or "... click see it for more details"?
Old July 9th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

You could always add an ellipsis after the closing ?> php tag. To get a 'click to read more' will require significant HTML, CSS and JavaScript changes which are beyond the scope of support we're able to provide.

This might get you in the ballpark, though: http://css-tricks.com/forums/topic/j...e-less-toggle/

Eric