Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old March 7th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Default Duplicate Content / Hidden Categories / Drip Posts

This is a general strategy/approach question for anyone who could kindly comment.

If one follows the default training videos, you end up with a store with nice, professional-looking Product Descriptions pages. Within the forum, you can further find out how to add Facebook "Like" buttons to these pages, etc.

Both within the video and in various forum postings, "duplicate content" and its negative effect on search engine rankings is mentioned. I understand "duplicate content" to mean:
a) Having 2 or more pages on your site with the same content (e.g. Product Description words appear on the store's Product Detail page and in the Blog if you set up a Drip feed that doesn't pull from a hidden category)
b) Having words on your site exactly match another site(s) on the internet. I saw a helpful post that suggested you copy-paste a series of words from a product detail page, then search for those words on Google to find other sites with the exact same wording.

I'm at the point of wanting to set up a drip feed, and I am confused about whether to have a Product Details page at all.

Q1: Having a Product Detail Page vs. Directly Linking to Merchant's Site. If by having a Product Detail page (unless you rewrite each product description ... which is not feasible/practical) you will always end up having content that will be found somewhere else on the internet, why would anyone with a Datafeedr store have a Product Detail page? On the flipside, if you remove the Product Detail pages from your store, don't you need all of those keywords in the Product Titles and Descriptions to rank?

Q2: Drip Feed: The training video suggests setting up a Hidden Category with products NOT in your store and dripping products to the blog from this category (not sure if I had a Yoga Blocks store, why I'd set up a drip feed with products that aren't Yoga Blocks ...?). If you remove your Product Detail pages to prevent duplicate content per above, wouldn't it be better to drip products that are in your store leaving you with Product Descriptions only in your blog. However, you'd still end up with text in your blog matching other sites on the internet and be subject to duplicate content issues.

I'm probably misunderstanding something, so appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosfield1010 View Post
Q1: Having a Product Detail Page vs. Directly Linking to Merchant's Site.
Personally I never use the standard product detail pages and not because of duplicate content issues.

Don't forget... you're an affiliate.

Why should you (as an affiliate) send store visitors from a category page to a local details page on your site (even if descriptions had been rewritten) while they can check out the same information (and more) on the merchant's site?

Keeping visitors on your site won't generate any commissions. That's why I prefer to send visitors asap to the merchant's site in order to set the cookie.

Also I add for each product in the store a unique product review (blog post) including price comparison set. I consider these as my "product details pages".

That's doable because I prefer to keep stores small (less than 50 products in most cases).

So basically there are 2 scenarios:

- a visitor lands on a store category page. Each link goes to merchant's site.

- a visitor lands on a product review blog post. Each link goes to merchant's site or a store category page.

Once again that's my personal view. Other set ups may work as well.

Quote:
Q2: Drip Feed.
Regarding your drip feed question I can't really give any good advice here as it's a feature I never use. So I can't really speak from experience what would work best here.
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Many thanks!
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:39 PM

Hi quick question.

I just implemented the above to link directly to the Merchants site (product.link => product.url).

I noticed this takes me to the merchants site in the same window. Is it possible instead to have a new window open up for the merchants site so users don't have to hit the "back" button to get back to my store?

Thx.
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Is it possible instead to have a new window open up for the merchants site so users don't have to hit the "back" button to get back to my store?
Yes, that's possible. See /showthread.php?t=9829
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Also ...

1) In the video (and the snippet code), "[product.url]" is noted. However, in the default "Buy" link code one finds "[product.url direct='0']"? Are these the same thing? (see #2)

2) In the video you deleted the "buy" button, but I noticed the code for the Buy button includes more than the Details button. Should you keep the "nofollow" and "target=" code ... so to link directly to merchants site, the code should be the following:

<a href="[product.url direct='0']" title="View details of [product.name]" class="dfbutton dforange dfmedium dfrounded" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Details</a>

?
Thx.
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Excellent - got that to work. So my remaining question is whether the code should include " rel="nofollow"?

This is not mentioned in the video, but it is included in the default "Buy" code.

Thanks!
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
1) In the video (and the snippet code), "[product.url]" is noted. However, in the default "Buy" link code one finds "[product.url direct='0']"? Are these the same thing? (see #2)
By default affiliate links ( that is [product.url] ) are masked.

Basically [product.url direct='0'] is the same as [product.url].

If you want to see the raw affiliate URLs you should use [product.url direct='1'].

Quote:
Excellent - got that to work. So my remaining question is whether the code should include rel="nofollow"?
Yes, it's recommended to include the rel="nofollow" to ALL your affiliate links.