Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:15 PM

Default Blog post links

http://saveongolf.net/blog/

I have drip set to post to my sites' blog. I don't know if there is a setting I have messed up somewhere but right now if you click on the Title of each post it takes you to a "leave a comment" page. If you click on the image it takes you to the retailer's website.

Can that be changed? I really don't need either link going to a "leave a comment". Odd place to have it anyway, how would anyone know that clicking the title lets you comment?

So I'd like to know where I can change either both image and URL to go to the retailer page, or just the title would be fine.

Thanks,
Ken
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:21 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Your title links are working fine for me. They go to the single post page.

As for the image, it's not possible for it to link to the blog post... so you could turn off the link for that image here: The Factory > Your Store > VIEWS > DRIP TEMPLATE > Default > Product detail module > Theme settings ().

Eric
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM

They aren't working Eric. When I click the title of one of the dripped blog posts instead of taking your to the manufacturer's website it goes to a page just for that blog post with a "leave a reply" area below it. Totally useless.

http://saveongolf.net/blog/

UPDATE: Eric, I'm talking about the Title link on the dripped items in the blog, not the other products in other parts of the store. They are fine. When I click on the title of a blog dripped product it goes to a page just of that product, on my site, with a "leave a comment" thing below it. I would like it to go to the retailer's site. I'd like a leave a comment area under each post....but not where you have to click the title to get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blogcapture.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	788  Click image for larger version

Name:	blogcapture2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	789  

Last edited by yankeestonk : October 3rd, 2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarifying what page
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I see what you mean now.

You can add the following code to your theme's functions.php file and that will insert the link to the merchant's site into your drip post title.

PHP Code:
/**
 * Convert dripped post title into link to merchant's site.
 */
add_filter'the_permalink''dfr_insert_aff_link_into_dripped_titles' );
function 
dfr_insert_aff_link_into_dripped_titles$url ) {
    global 
$post;

$store_url get_post_meta$post->ID'store_url'true );
    if ( !empty( 
$store_url ) ) {

$url $store_url;
    }
    return 
$url;

Eric
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Hi Eric.

I asked someone who is better at this than I am to add the above code you gave. It still isn't working though. He wrote this to me:

Does your blog entry's Post Metadata contain the store's url?

This line we added says it must for this to work:

get_post_meta( $post->ID, 'store_url', true );

You'd no doubt have to enter that info when you create the post, and you can surely edit it now to add that info if its missing. NOPE, I just looked at your latest Post and there IS no field for store_url. You'll have to ask on the forum. Sorry.

Is it possible I have to add something in datafeedr for this to work properly? Or maybe only posts going forward will work?

Thanks,
Ken
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Dripped posts will have that post meta.

Make sure your theme uses the function the_permalink() to display the link URL.

Eric
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:18 AM

How do I do that?
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

You need to identify and view your theme's template file responsible for displaying this page http://saveongolf.net/blog/

That will usually be index.php, archive.php or possibly something else. All themes are different.

Try asking your theme developer about this.

Eric
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:28 AM

Unfortunately he's paid and done already. If you look at the page http://saveongolf.net/blog/ , all but the most recent 2 posts have the more information button. Is that orange button what it is supposed to show, and if not why not on the last two do you think?
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I don't see any orange buttons. I suspect we are viewing cached versions of your page.

Eric
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:41 AM

Is this orange button that says More Information what is supposed to happen with the code you gave me to add?

Some posts have this button and others don't. Even with the orange button there the title link still goes to a page that just has the one item again and a leave a comment area. If you click the orange button you go to the retailer's website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orangebutton1.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	791  Click image for larger version

Name:	orangebutton2.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	792  
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

The more information button is supposed to appear for all dripped products. I think the reason it's not appearing on all pages is because you are viewing cached versions of the pages.

If you want the button to appear on all pages, you need to change this:

HTML Code:
<?php if(is_single()) { ?>
<p><a href="[product.url]" title="[product.name]" target="_blank" class="dfbutton dforange dflarge" rel="nofollow">More information</a></p>
<?php } ?>
To this:

HTML Code:
<p><a href="[product.url]" title="[product.name]" target="_blank" class="dfbutton dforange dflarge" rel="nofollow">More information</a></p>
Here: The Factory > Your Store > VIEWS > DRIP TEMPLATE > Default > Product detail module > Theme settings ()

Eric
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:10 PM

Hi Eric,

I'm getting really confused at this point. Could you please tell me exactly where we are at? Originally you gave me the code to make the title of the dripped product a link to the retailer. I had that put in. It didn't work. I noticed that on some posts the "more information" button was there, on others it's not. I don't know if that orange button is what the code you gave me originally was supposed to do or not?

Also, in your last response, what do you mean "if you want that orange button on all pages?" By pages do you mean posts? Because right now it appears on some posts and not others within the same page? Are you referring to having that button on ALL pages of the site and not just the drip template. I'm really lost here.
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeestonk View Post
Originally you gave me the code to make the title of the dripped product a link to the retailer. I had that put in. It didn't work.
I'm not sure why that's not working. My guess is that your theme doesn't use the the_permalink() function in order to create links to blog posts. You need to ask your developer if the the_permalink() function is being used to create links to blog posts.

Quote:
I noticed that on some posts the "more information" button was there, on others it's not. I don't know if that orange button is what the code you gave me originally was supposed to do or not?
The orange button is supposed to appear (by default) only on single blog post pages. However, because you have WP Super Cache, it might appear randomly here and there. The code I provided in my last post was to show the orange button on every page, not just your single blog post pages.

Once you make that change, click the [Update Settings Only] button and then clear your cache, you should see the orange button on all dripped blog posts.

Quote:
Are you referring to having that button on ALL pages of the site and not just the drip template.
I mean to have the orange button appear on all dripped posts no matter if you're viewing your blog's main page, a category page or a single post page.

Eric
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:59 PM

believe it or not I'm still confused.

I think the problem might be with us using the word "blog". Right now I only drip posts in the blog page. I'm referring to the whole site as "the site". "The blog" is just the one section of the site.

When you say the "more information" button will appear on all pages including category pages where things are dripped, that isn't relevant to my site because I only drip to the one page. Is that correct? I don't want the "more information" button showing up on the other pages of the site. I have "see it" buttons etc. that go to the retailer's site there. So bottom line is I still don't get it.

What I should be doing right now to get this to work is check to "Make sure your theme uses the function the_permalink() to display the link URL." I asked one person to help me with how to find that and he had no idea. I'm waiting to hear back from the other.

If it's not set up correctly, we'll change that. Should that fix the issue of the Title not going to the retailer product URL?

Back to the "More Information" button.... I ONLY want that button on the dripped results. Do I make that change? I don't want any other results affected.

Thanks much Eric.
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:06 PM

Ok, I think I'm starting to "get it". I added the code and now the button is on all posts. I'm going to wait and hope my developer will help me determine if that link setting for the new theme is correct. thanks.
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:41 PM

found this code in the parent theme in the functions.php file. Is this what it is supposed to have for the dripped links to point to retailer?

/************************************************** ******
************ TEMPLATE MELA GET URL **********************
************************************************** ******/

function templatemela_get_link_url() {
$content = get_the_content();
$has_url = get_url_in_content( $content );

return ( $has_url ) ? $has_url : apply_filters( 'the_permalink', get_permalink() );
}

/************************************************** ******
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I really don't know... It's best to ask your theme developer about this.

Eric