Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old August 1st, 2014, 08:20 AM

Default how to backup with unlimited plan

Hi,

I just switched to an unlimited plan so I can backup my settings and searches etc while I have some work done on the site. I have the plan now, but don't know how to back it up.
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:22 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

You can backup your Store here:
The Factory > Your Store > Store menu > Additional Functions > Backup Store

You can restore a Store here:
The Factory > Factory menu > Restore From Backup

Eric
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:29 AM

just did it. So what this does is backup the store to my desktop? Am I saving all the searches/settings/etc? So if I accidentally deleted the whole store I could restore it from what is now on my desktop?
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:32 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Yes, it's an entire store backup. Searches, categories, etc...

Eric
Old August 1st, 2014, 09:15 AM

excellent. This will sound bad, but now that I have the backup will it work in the future if I downgrade my account again. I really can't afford $97/month at this time. But I needed the backup.
Old August 1st, 2014, 09:19 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

It's not possible to restore a backup file unless you are on the unlimited plan. I would downgrade after your developer is finished with his/her work.

Eric
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Hey Eric. It might be a while before he's done. I'm not using the unlimited plan for any reason other than to have a backup. (which I think you should consider offering on any plan for a nominal fee.) But is there a reason I can't downgrade now so I don't have to pay an additional $70/month, then if a problem arises I could upgrade the plan again and use the backup I took already?
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

It's a feature of our Unlimited Site Plan. Our Unlimited Site Plan is our best plan and that is an additional feature of our best plan.

If you would like to downgrade, you can do so. At the end of your Unlimited Site Plan's 30 day subscription period you can downgrade back to the 1-Site Plan. There are no pro-rated refunds on downgrades in these circumstances. Otherwise you would be receiving all of the benefits of the Unlimited Site Plan without paying for them and that would not be fair to those who do pay for the Unlimited Site Plan monthly.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Eric
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:58 PM

So basically I'm paying an extra $70/month just to have a backup of my work? Do you think that is reasonable? I understand you have other features/benefits in the unlimited site plan...and maybe one day if I can start making some money on this first store I would expand and open more. But for someone like me, who just has one site, there should be a reasonably priced option to back up your hard work. The way it is now it really amounts to $840/year just to have a backup saved to your desktop.
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I would suggest just making a backup of your store and then cancelling your Unlimited Site Plan. Then, when your Unlimited Site Plan subscription expires (in a few weeks) purchase the 1-site plan again.

Then continue with the 1-site plan. If something terrible happens and you need to restore to your backup, then you can upgrade to the Unlimited Site Plan again for another month. Otherwise, if nothing happens, you only pay for the Unlimited Site Plan 1 time (not every month).

Eric
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Hey Eric,

That's what I planned to do and wanted to make sure I could do that. I don't care about getting pro rated for the 3 weeks I don't use it when I downgrade. I just don't want to pay $70/month just to have a backup on my own desktop since I won't be using any of the other benefits of the unlimited plan other than I need a backup.

I think a good idea for both you guys and all of your customers would be to offer for a fee a backup. I think any level customer should have the option to back up their work especially if it's saved only to their own desktop. I have about 230 categories in my store. If it blows up there is no way I'd start over again. I'd lose all my work, you'd lose a customer...everyone loses. For 10 bucks or whatever you could offer a one time backup for non unlimited plan customers. Just a thought that I think would be fair and putting the seed in peoples' heads that they should have a backup would probably make you more money in backups then you'd lose in people who don't need the unlimited paying for it just for the backup.

Anyway, thanks.

ken
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the idea! It is definitely something to consider.

Eric