Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:59 PM

Default What's a good host for a lot of Datafeedr sites?

I've got a dedicated server, but I think it's too costly for me with the given traffic and bandwidth it serves. My new project is to peel 1-5 domains (depending on size) into smaller shared hosting accounts or reseller accounts. Currently, with all the automated backups and extra memory for CPU plus management (fast acting response) I'm paying $387/month. For 12 months that's $4644/year. If you take a single account at e.g. Bluehost or something comparable, that's something like $85/year .. I could in theory have 25 single accounts instead of 1 large account! Really, however I only have about 5 sites that a shared hosting will not work but, all the rest could be peeled into single or up to 5 sites on one account I figure, and maybe I could do this with no more than 15 single accounts and save over $3000/year ..

What I would like to hear is suggestions where I can easily move and operate my http://HARTmarket.com domain that has about 50 subdomains that I'd probably just keep at that if I can get 50 stores going ... currently only have 9 fully working stores with the new design and latest plugin.

I have been thinking Bluehost ...

Q) Will Bluehost work for 1 multisite having 50 (or more?) store activity with all the CPU calls needed?

Q) If you don't think Bluehost works well with Datafeedr sites - what do you recommend?

>> I would want cPanel and all that access - but don't believe in VPS (and their pricing) and just want a simple cheap hosting account that works 99.9999% of the time.

Thanks.
HART
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi Hart,

Answering your questions is nearly impossible to do... The answers depend on so many variables such as amount of traffic, size of websites, WP configuration, server configuration, MySQL configuration, PHP configuration, caching, etc, etc...

But what I can say is that it seems you are paying a lot of money... although I don't know the size of your site or the amount of traffic they get.

Personally I use LiquidWeb for all of my personal websites. I have lots of personal sites, some with lots of traffic and/or lots of data (files + DB). I only recently had to upgrade to a plan that costs me $250/month but that was because of a 'friend' of mine was using some space on my server and allowed it to get hammered with spam. I think if I had identified and fixed the issue before upgrading servers, I could have continued using the $204/month plan.

They have awesome support, have cPanel + WHM, and will work with you to tweak your server's configuration so that it is optimized for your needs.

I've been very, very happy with LW and have been with them for about 8 years or so. I would suggest looking at their reasonably priced dedicated server plans.

I've also heard good things about rackspace though I've never tried them.

Eric
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM

Thanks ... will check out LiquidWeb dedicated servers.

But - would that mean you are not familiar how good "multi-Datafeedr-sites" are on single shared servers? I recall reading or listening once that you don't have many Datafeedr sites yourself, except maybe a few for testing - because your business is making the datafeedr sites, not using them. I'd hate to move to a shared server and start pounding out a hundred stores locked in for a year and then it crashes on week 1. And, on the other hand .. I'd hate to have to move to another dedicated server unless I am sure it can handle my CPU and is cheaper.

Currently, my dedicated server is with Singlehop and has 12GB RAM plus $387/mo price includes a secondary hard drive where all my backups go.

This is what I got:

Main: 1 TB drive
Backup: 1 TB Drive
RAM: 12 GB
Bandwidth: 10,000 GB
Network: 100 Mbps
Processor: 2.4GHz E5620
cPanel/WHM

This is what I'm paying for:

Current Charges:

Server $309.00
Managed: Flexible Take 2 $ 49.00
cPanel/WHM License (1 Server) $ 19.00
1 TB Seagate (7200RPM Sata) $ 10.00
Current Charges: >> $387.00

This kind of looks like that $279 plan except liquidweb has 4GB RAM and mine has 12 GB RAM ... I have no clue if tweaking resources will make it work or not - or if it's like putting a triangle piece into a square box - otherwise I would have tried that already. I know I've been asking for that and squeeking along minimizing plugins, theme redesigns, etc to help if I can.
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800HART View Post
But - would that mean you are not familiar how good "multi-Datafeedr-sites" are on single shared servers?
The thing is, there's no easy way to estimate what you need until you need it. It's based on so many things (that I mentioned in my previous post) and I'm unfamiliar with any calculator where you could punch in the variables and see what resources are required.

Shared servers can be hit or miss. Sometimes the server you're own is great and always up. Sometimes there's a user on the server that always overloads the server. Sometimes hosts don't oversell the server too much... other times they do.

My experience with shared hosts, VPS and dedicated servers is that I eventually always out grow them. Usually this is because of traffic to my site. So I consider it a good problem. Because the more traffic, the more revenue I have. The more revenue I have the more I can spend on servers to keep the sites up more often.

But honestly I can't really answer your core question. It's a really difficult question that depends on so many unknowns.

Eric
Old February 21st, 2013, 02:51 AM

Thanks

I am in alignment with everything you have said.

Unfortunately, I am at a bad time for online stuff until July (timewise due to offline busy season) ... Ideally, I should be concentrating on "breaking the server" with traffic and revenue records and then peel away the winners (or losers?) to ease the load. Unfortunately, without traffic and revenue records it's an added burden financially to just double up or wait for things that aren't happening quite as planned. I either have to move - or stay.

HART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hi
The thing is, there's no easy way to estimate what you need until you need it. It's based on so many things (that I mentioned in my previous post) and I'm unfamiliar with any calculator where you could punch in the variables and see what resources are required.

Shared servers can be hit or miss. Sometimes the server you're own is great and always up. Sometimes there's a user on the server that always overloads the server. Sometimes hosts don't oversell the server too much... other times they do.

My experience with shared hosts, VPS and dedicated servers is that I eventually always out grow them. Usually this is because of traffic to my site. So I consider it a good problem. Because the more traffic, the more revenue I have. The more revenue I have the more I can spend on servers to keep the sites up more often.

But honestly I can't really answer your core question. It's a really difficult question that depends on so many unknowns.

Eric