Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM

Default Speed of Category Lists

Hi again - I'm still optimising the site. I've managed to get the custom views loading blindingly fast but now I'm having issues with the category lists. The biggest category by far on our site is 'bicycles' and on that page, I've identified the category list is what is taking the time to load.

I've created a custom function to list all the brands the user can select, and obviously I could do the same for the categories, although probably I'll generate some static HTML instead and store this but I really like the features of the category list creator - e.g. the ability to alter the code depending on current category, parent category etc.

Do you have any advice for how to improve the speed? I'm currently seeing 60 seconds coming just from the category list on this page:

http://www.fitness-saver.com/fitness...egory/cycling/

Here's the code:

<?php
if (function_exists(wpTuneMarkTime)) wpTuneMarkTime('DFR: category list'); // WPTUNER: ** Time how long this next bit takes **
?>
<h4>Categories</h4>

<div id="fscatlist">
[category.list before='<ul>' after='</ul>']

[category.if active='self']
<li class="currentcategory">
[category.name] <span class="catcount"> ([category.count] items)</span>
[category.repeat]
</li>
[/category.if]

[category.if active='child']
<li>
<a href="[category.link]" title="[category.name]">[category.name] <span class="catcount"> ([category.count] items)</span></a>
[category.repeat]
</li>
[/category.if]

[category.if active='parent']
<li>
<a href="[category.link]" title="[category.name]">[category.name] <span class="catcount"> ([category.count] items)</span></a>
</li>
[/category.if]

[category.if active='no']
<li>
[category.repeat]
</li>
[/category.if]

[/category.list]
</div>
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

My suggestion is to cache this view. You have over 500 categories with 3 different levels of hierarchy. No matter how you slice it, that query will take time to load. If you turn on caching, this list will be stored as an HTML file and the list generating query will not run. The cached version of the list will be served straight out of a file. I don't see any other way to optimize such a large, nested list like this.

Eric
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Yeah but at least a minute every time is a bit excessive, for only 500 categories.

What I'm going to do is generate the static HTML and include that file here and then I'll modify this category generator to update the list using javascript. That way it should presumably load in less than 100ms.
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM

I discovered this was nothing to do with the category list - the slow performance was actually caused by the setting 'if this category is empty, show sub-categories'.

The code performs a cat_id in (x,y,z) type statement if this is selected and then the product list within is massive (in our case).

By unchecking this box, all product pages on our site now load fast. Maybe add a warning to that box for large sites?