Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old July 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Default Question about Michael Kane

I was reading this:

http://www.datafeedr.com/webinar-mkane.pdf

And what constantly sprung out to me was "What websites do you run?" but it didn't seem to be in that document. I'd have thought proud examples of what makes Michael such a great affiliate marketer would be linked to frequently?

So, what websites does Michael Kane run?

Thanks
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Michael does not wish to provide any URLs of his websites. He has done so in the past only to be copied and have his sales affected.

Eric
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM

That's massively odd. Google is sophisticated enough to recognise duplicate content - and which site had the original content. And what's to stop one of his regular visitors deciding to plagerise? How can someone who's supposedly THAT successful also be SO vulnerable?

Does he shy away from link building for the same fear?

Sorry, but that Case Study just wreaks so much of the type of Internet Marketing BS which I've seen so often. The expert always "sounds" smart. They always make incredible sums of cash. But they're never actually willing to provide a link to their work.

When any expert gives advice on their field of expertise, they load it with references. If I were an Affiliate Marketing "guru" I would absolutely provide real life examples and proof of my authority.

Last edited by andrewjg : July 24th, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I really can't speak for Michael. I only know he does not share his URLs any more.

You don't have to believe anything in the interview. Personally, I do because we've known Michael for 4 years. If you feel it is BS, that's fine. Michael is the first person to say you should try new things and not to follow his techniques "word for word".

He doesn't sell himself as an internet marketer. That's not his business. In the world of internet marketing, he does not generate enough revenue to be considered a big fish. Big internet marketers make WAY more than Michael.

We knew Michael was having good success with Datafeedr and we asked him if he'd like to do an interview for the benefit of other Datafeedr members. He doesn't sell his services nor does he really have anything to gain from offering the information he offered. He simply asked that we not share any of his URLs. We honor his wishes.

If you get no value from the interview, that's totally fine. I think Michael would be the first person to say forget everything he said and blaze your own path.

Eric
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:41 AM

I'm sorry if I came across as disrespectful. It's just when I clicked on the link "Interview with long time Datafeedr member on how he successfully creates & promotes Datafeedr websites." I thought I would get to see at least one of these websites.

And then I started to think about the countless interviews I've read or watched where the expert seems like such an authority - they sound so smart - they're super convincing - only for them to never disclose their work. No doubt they convert to sales though.
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

No disrespect taken.

Eric
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjg View Post
I'm sorry if I came across as disrespectful. It's just when I clicked on the link "Interview with long time Datafeedr member on how he successfully creates & promotes Datafeedr websites." I thought I would get to see at least one of these websites.

And then I started to think about the countless interviews I've read or watched where the expert seems like such an authority - they sound so smart - they're super convincing - only for them to never disclose their work. No doubt they convert to sales though.
What you have raised here is an issue for all newbies in affiliate marketing. Like you I have watched a lot of interviews and spent countless hours putting many things these people have stated into practice only to have limited success.

The part that is missing (and is deliberate) is precisely how to make it work and without this part you will have to take the bits that are offered from people like Michael and soldier on. I was offered personal one to one coaching at price that was way beyond my ability to pay and when I offered alternative pays to pay the price quoted I was informed to go and look elsewhere.

I appreciate what Michael gave us and totally understand how he wants to protect his income and lifestyle but without actual examples to follow it makes it that much harder to succeed in what we are trying to do, which is, be successful like him and be able to give up our day jobs

One of my sites makes a little amount of money and that is it and I continue to work on it adopting many of the things Michael stated in his interviews. Original content, do not use prices (though on other sites Michael said he did - trial and error thing). I don't stack the store with zillions of items as the main aim is to get them to the merchants site.

I also found a plug-in for WP that allows me to see what search terms people are using on goggle to get to my site. If the same search term keeps coming up I get an article written around a combination of these search terms which should assist in driving more traffic to the site. However it is not just traffic that we want, it is the buyers we are looking for who already have their wallets open and are ready to buy.

I have chosen one of the hardest markets around and one Michael steers away from - electronics because if I can succeed in that market I would surely have no issue in other niche markets.

But back to your point - actual examples of success and one to one coaching. I found unless you have the ability to pay large dollars to someone who can prove beyond doubt they are highly successful affiliate marketers then it is keep focused on what you are doing and learn as much as you can and outsource as much as possible within your budget.

Also do not get into the mode of putting up lots of sites as all you are doing is spreading your precious time thin on the ground. Run one or two sites that you have really researched and make those site successful. After that you can duplicate over and over.

Just my thoughts..
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:57 AM

Thanks Nzcid, good post.

I think the key is to be very, very niche (my main site - outside of my Datafeedr store - which is www.cheap-computing.com) is too broad and therefore my visitors aren't targeted enough. They come in for a huge variety of reasons and therefore my sales are low.

That said, I actually made sales when I had the extremely limited Popshops.com tool integrated seamlessly into my pages of original content. I've yet to make a sale with Datafeedr and that's probably because all products are now on a separate site (since Df requires WP). My main site is not built on WP and therefore I can't integrate Df feeds into my existing pages.

For all I know, Michael may not even exist. Either way, it's the same old story. Claims of incredible success, spoken by someone who sounds incredibly logical and smart, but there's never a real life example in sight. Personally, I believe that's because it's sales talk. People love to hear success stories and it converts to sales. Yet they never stop and ask "Which site did you learn all this from?" or "What site are you running that's so successful?"

The notion that they're afraid they'll be copied is absurd. Besides, you know you're onto something good when others start trying to imitate.

And, in fact, all of the information that so regularly gets provided in webinars and 'expert Q&A's is just a rehash of the same old stuff and it's all available from any Affiliate or Internet Marketing site. Ultimately, it all boils down to the same sensible approach - keep it real, keep it original, spin it in a unique way, offer visitors REAL VALUE.

I think Datafeedr is a great piece of software. And it could be incredible if it could be integrated onto non-WP sites in the way that you can with Popshops. But webinars such as the Michael Kane one, which no doubt converts to sales brilliantly, offer nothing particularly original. And to those of us who've been doing this a while, it's flawed by the expert being unwilling to say what site he runs.

Can you imagine a lecture on business by a CEO who is unwilling to reveal who he works for? Or which companies he runs? It wouldn't happen. But, if it did, it would completely revoke his authority as a successful businessman.

Here is ACTUALLY a website that I know for a fact makes BIG money:

http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/

Surprised?

Look and feel is basic.

No fancy tricks.

It gets at least 10k visitors per day and makes a lot of affiliate sales. How?

The owner KNOWS her stuff and has written tons and tons of great pages and sliced in some products that she can personally vouch for. THAT is how it's done.

Last edited by andrewjg : July 25th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old July 25th, 2012, 05:53 AM

I certainly understand the pain and feel it as well. Unless someone steps up and gives all that you have mentioned we just have to keep, keeping on

Being far too broad with the niche is perhaps what I am guilty of as well being electronics and Michael in fact said something along those lines in one of his audios.

One issue is finding a niche like the web site you have kindly referred to. Guess it could be anything whatsoever as long as you become the expert in that niche, again like the site you have referred.

Seeing I have been made redundant need to decide where to go from here. Thanks for your comments and pray you do really well in your endeavors.
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:

For all I know, Michael may not even exist. Either way, it's the same old story. Claims of incredible success, spoken by someone who sounds incredibly logical and smart, but there's never a real life example in sight. Personally, I believe that's because it's sales talk. People love to hear success stories and it converts to sales. Yet they never stop and ask "Which site did you learn all this from?" or "What site are you running that's so successful?"

The notion that they're afraid they'll be copied is absurd. Besides, you know you're onto something good when others start trying to imitate.
That's actually funny, but not too hard to believe However, as long as I have been here (since April 2008) and started reading Michael's posts and listened to his podcasts and interviews ... I know of 6 sites that he started, 2 of which are defunct which I presume did not work out so he moved on, and 4 that are still going on today. I have no idea how many sites he has in total, but all sites were readily found in these archives and his interviews, if you listen. But, I too will respect his wishes and not publish any of his sites in here in public or private.

Over the years I have purchased many ebooks and read and listened to a lot of people and did so, and continue to do so for two reason ..... (1) to figure out how they managed to get me to buy their ebook or read their information and (2) use their ideas to brainstorm some of my own ideas.

Mostly, I am more interested in item (1)

It's like that song "Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen" (search for the lyrics).

"The notion that they're afraid they'll be copied is absurd. Besides, you know you're onto something good when others start trying to imitate."

It's tricky to start copying other people and always worry that you might get sued or even worse .. 'crowd-busted' or flamed online in public by someone who doesn't appreciate your attempts to mimic their work.

I know myself, a lot of the (appearance of) success of Michael seemed to relate to article marketing methods that I'm just not prepared to spend time, so I could never copy or imitate him anyway. From all the interviews and case studies in here, I did not get the impression (other than the URL's) that he was trying to lie or mislead anybody with his statements or results. And, i don't think for a minute that he is some secret partner or actually Eric or Stefan trying to better market Datafeedr.

Quote:
Here is ACTUALLY a website that I know for a fact makes BIG money:

http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/

Surprised?

Look and feel is basic.

No fancy tricks.

It gets at least 10k visitors per day and makes a lot of affiliate sales. How?

The owner KNOWS her stuff and has written tons and tons of great pages and sliced in some products that she can personally vouch for. THAT is how it's done.
I like the disclosure page on this site!

Last edited by 1800HART : July 27th, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:16 AM

Thanks 1800HART, good post.

I think what gets most people to buy an Internet Marketing e-book, or to sign up for a service like Datafeedr/PopShops/WordPress (etc), is stories of "I was just an average guy..." and "If *I* can do it, ANYONE can!". Books, in particular, 'dangle a carrot' (as the expression goes) and hint at some secret that, once revealed, will bring huge success. I see a lot of people chasing this proverbial last piece of the jigsaw, which they believe will unlock huge online success.

Thinking about it now, it seems to me that there are two types of sales. Either it's "promised land" stuff where the item for sale seems to hold the answer to things you want but have yet to get. This includes self help ("personal development") stuff; Internet Marketing materials; vile "Get Rich Quick" schemes; those sorts of things. While the other side of the coin is buying something because you're reliant on the recommendations of an expert. That's why www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com is so successful. It comes down to being an expert on a particular subject - having bags of passion for it - translating that into great content - and then being able to naturally recommend products from the context of an article.

Annelie, who runs that site, is someone whose passion (rose gardening) happens to be a very in demand topic and the competition - at least when she started - was poor. She put a great spin on something she loves and her natural authority on the subject engages her visitors and they trust her opinion on what to buy.

That kind of enthusiasm and expertise is impossible to fake. And I'd be surprised if Michael Kane has zero interest in any of the subjects of his successful sites.

One of my problems is that my niche (new PCs / PC repair) is saturated. There are a lot of experts and tons of great sites with good content. My other big passion is guitar but, again, it's a saturated niche and it would be very difficult to stand out from the crowd.

But I'd be loathsome to start a site in a niche that has outstanding demand and little supply/competition if I knew nothing about it. I know for a fact that Annelie makes good money but I'd never copy her site concept because I know nothing about the subject. And copying her content would be utterly pointless because Google is sophisticated enough to recognise duplicate material. Any form of plagiarism and deviation away from "keeping it real" is a total waste of time. This isn't a game to fool people - that's not how successful businesses work. And that is why I don't understand anyone who gets shy about revealing their sites...

Michael's sites must be full of unique content and have good inbound links. But if they do rely very heavily on autofed Datafeedr stuff, he must have found niches with high demand and low supply and, in that case, I could understand him keeping them to himself. But I'd bet that they have a limited lifespan.

Last edited by andrewjg : July 31st, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:27 AM

Actually, given that Datafeedr creates thin and duplicate content, I think Google's Panda has ultimately written its future.
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Actually, given that Datafeedr creates thin and duplicate content, I think Google's Panda has ultimately written its future.
Google Panda has killed the business of knocking out a website in 5 minutes and making easy money from it. DFR, like a number of similar tools, still has a massive future but you need to do more than just set it up and walk away. These days you have to add value, what benefit is your site offering the user over those already in the listings? If the answer is none then you won't rank. If the answer is some you will rank poorly, if the answer is lots then you will rank well