Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Default One product, multiple categories

Hi Eric!

How can I add one product into multiple categories? The way my store is set up, I have one main category and then several sub categories. I'd like to know how I can add the product to the main category (clothes) and the specific category (swimwear).

Thank you.
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

That depends... Do you want the main category to ONLY display products from its sub-categories or do you want the main category to have different products than its sub-categories?

Eric
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM

I'd like the main category to display items from the subcategories. So if I add items to dresses, swimwear, etc - the items go into the main category as well.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

OK, if you want to only display products from sub-categories in the main category (and the main category has no products of its own), you don't need to add the product to both categories.

You just need to go here: The Factory > Your Store > VIEWS > CATEGORY PAGE > Default > View menu > View Properties and under When a category is empty... choose "Display sub-category products". This will give you the effect you want without going through the process of adding products to both categories.

NOTE: This strategy will not work if your main category has even 1 product in it.

Eric
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Excellent. I had the setting on but wasn't aware I can't add products to the main category. This makes sense. Thanks!

And can I ask how to move items around (from first page to last, for instance) here or do I have to start a new thread?
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

It's best to start a new thread. Thanks for asking.

Eric
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM

What if I wanted to display items in one category and filter to another. For example, if I added a dress to the "fresh" category (which is new items) and wanted that same dress to go into clothing and dresses. possible?
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

If those categories are on the same level, no, it's not possible. You'll need to add the product to each category individually.

Eric
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM

Ah gotcha. Perhaps a feature to consider.