Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old October 1st, 2011, 07:40 AM

Default Creating categories in bulk? Or alternative?

G'day, we just subscribed to Datafeedr today. 10 Site Option, shall see how we go, hopefully have to upgrade to Unlimited before the month is out, haha.

Tonight I'm getting the hang of what Datafeedr can do & where it differs in method from other ways of processing data in bulk into online stores.

Okay, we've got a Halloween costumes WP website & decided we could have a go with Datafeedr on this one first.

The merchant whose datafeed we were going to use via Shareasale, after data cleanup, has 6 primary categories (which end up as head menu items on their website) & about 280 subcategories distributed amongst these 6 categories.

QUESTION: How do we add these categories & subcategories in bulk into the Store in our Datafeedr Factory? I only see the ability to add them 1 at a time.

Or is that wrong . . . now? Maybe with Datafeedr there's a better NEW way? If so, what is it, folks, & can you point me to where I can read/watch video on it?
Wb: BrentWilliamz.tel
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

This is currently not possible but a bulk adding of categories is scheduled to be released in version 3.4. We will be releasing version 3.3 on Monday.

Eric
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks for letting me know, Eric.

You've got a heck of a lot of powerful features built into Datafeedr already so it'll be really nice when you add a few bulk editing capabilities like the categories thingie I was looking for.

The merchant site I was referring to was http://HalloweenMart.com & the 280 subcategories can be seen on their primary menu items.

How do affiliates using Datafeedr do something like this at the moment? Do they just sit & type the 280 categories in, one after another from the pull-down menu, oh boy, or do they approach it from a different angle?

I started reading your recent post /showthread.php?t=3853 about categories versus search functionality. However, being new to DFR, I'll have to reread this a couple more times before I see what you're meaning here. Is this thread the sort of approach I should be looking at in my Halloween example?

I look forward to a bit more real-world feedback which will help me get a handle on Datafeedr methodology sooner!
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I know of at least one user who uses a Firefox plugin called iMacros to automate the process. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...s-for-firefox/

More info: /show...ighlight=macro

Eric
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM

My partner said, "What am I whinging about? Shut up & just type all the subcategories in. Won't take that long."

Maybe I shouldn't have shown her Datafeedr's Duplicate Store function; now that's a real beauty for time-saving.

And I've installed the iMacros extension for Google Chrome to help simplify the repetition of the task a bit . . . but I won't tell her my little secret weapon, haha. Ta muchly for that suggestion.