Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:07 AM

Default where can I change title tags for each category?

Thanks, Eric!

Also while I''m here - where can I change title tags for each category? Is this in URL settings? Because I don't know what %cs/ is or %pi
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Datafeedr Team

POST MOVED TO NEW THREAD. ONE ISSUE PER THREAD.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

You can control what gets displayed in your category <title> tags here: The Factory > Your Store > VIEWS > CATEGORY PAGE > Default > View menu > View <head> Elements

The category title is your Category Name.

Eric
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM

I did this but it didn't work. I also have multiple categories so I'm confused how to title each one of the categories. (Sorry.)

This is what I have for the homepagen but it still shoes the URL. Maybe I did something wrong again. Please help because I'm frustrated. Thank you.

<title>Style on a Budget, Affordable Fashion & Fancy Goodies | I'm Too Fancy </title>
<meta name="description" content="I'm Too Fancy is a curated online clothing shop for the gal on a budget. We bring you the latest and best fashions from stores like Zappos, Asos & more! " />
<meta name="keywords" content="comma,separated,list,of,keywords,about,yo ur,store" />
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I'm confused... In your first post you asked "where can I change title tags for each category?"

But the code you posted above is for your store homepage, not your category pages... So, can you explain exactly what you are trying to do? I'm pretty sure it's possible but I really don't know what you're trying to do.

Eric
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Okay, sorry. :/ I just want custom title tags on every single category page and the homepage.

But either way, this code doesn't work for the homepage either.

And this is what I put into the category page:

<title>[category.name] | Style on a Budget, Affordable Fashion & Fancy Goodies | I'm Too Fancy </title>
<meta name="description" content="[category.description]" />
<meta name="keywords" content="[category.keywords]" />

I also have multiple categories so I'm confused about how to have title tags for each individual category page.
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

OK, I think I see the issue. Your theme has NO <title> tags in the header... This is not good at all.

Even if I go to your about page here /newsite/about/, there is still no title tag.

You should add the following PHP code to your header.php file immediately before the closing </head> tag:

<?php wp_head(); ?>

Eric
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Hey. My dev fixed the issue. It works now but I'd still like to have unique title tags for all categories. Would I change the category.name and just replicate the below code? Many thanks for your help.

<title>[category.name] | Style on a Budget, Affordable Fashion & Fancy Goodies | I'm Too Fancy </title>
<meta name="description" content= test, test, test"[category.description]" />
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

The code you have in your post will show the unique category name for each category. So I think it will give you what you want.

Eric
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM

Sorry but what post?
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Datafeedr Team

Post #8 of this thread.
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:36 PM

I'm either stupid or tired. Maybe both.

I did this:

<title>[category.dreses] | Test | I'm Too Fancy </title>

It didn't work. Is there a more comprehensive explanation because I obviously don't get it.

Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

You have 2 sets of tags:
HTML Code:

<title>[category.dreses] | Test | I'm Too Fancy </title>
You should only have one like this:

HTML Code:
<title>[category.name] | Test | I'm Too Fancy </title>
Don't forget to click the [Update Settings Only] button after you make changes to your Views.

Eric
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM

I have two sets of codes because I thought I was supposed to replicate the other to create title tag for the other category. I'm seriously confused and don't understand why this is so hard. Maybe because I don't understand code but this thread hasn't helped. :<

I have about 10 categories (clothes, dresses, shoes, heels, etc) and I want them all to have individual title tags. Can you make believe I'm a second grader and just tell me how to do it. PLEASE! I want to move on from this issue.

Sorry for not understanding and thanks for your help.
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Do you want the individual category <title> tags to be different than the name of the category itself?

Eric
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:33 AM

Yes, I'd like to customize every single title tag in every category. Just having the name of the category in the title tag isn't that SEO friendly.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

This is not possible if you are just using the default settings.

One thing you can do is use the Category Keywords field for your custom title. Google pretty much ignores the meta keywords field so you don't necessarily need it.

Put in your custom category title into the Category Keywords field, then use [category.keywords] in your <title> tag instead of using [category.name].

That would be the easiest solution.

Eric
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM

Will Google bots read this way as a title tag? I know about SEO so I know keywords don't weigh heavily. I also know there will be a new Google update so I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I worked hard on my titles and I want to get ranked.

Also, what other setting would allow me to have title tags per category without doing it guerrilla style.

This is crazy to me that it's not a default setting in the first place. Not having title tags is like a book without a title!
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk3 View Post
Will Google bots read this way as a title tag?
Of course! It won't matter at all.

Quote:
Also, what other setting would allow me to have title tags per category without doing it guerrilla style.
Using PHP to inject a unique title.

Quote:
This is crazy to me that it's not a default setting in the first place. Not having title tags is like a book without a title!
It is a default thing and from an SEO standpoint, it's been argued that having your <title> contain the same words as your <h> tags in the content of the page is a good thing. Having a unique category title, different from your categories' names, is not the default way it is done in the Factory but it is possible.

By default, the Datafeedr plugin WILL put the category name as the first piece of text in your <title> tags. This is exactly how it works so I don't know why you are saying that there are no <title> tags.

Eric
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Okay thanks for your help!

It's not that there are no title tags, it's just not how I've worked with them before. I'm sure having the category name in the title followed by the the same title across all pages can work for established brands and not those who are looking to have a substantial portion of their traffic from organic search.