Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old January 9th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Default Replicate a V1 Product Block

I know I know... somethings are just going to be different.

On some of my sites, on the home page, I had a product block (from V1) with specific products in it (ie the most popular products). I did this by marking those products as featured and then chose to display only featured products in the product block module.

So how do I replicate this in V3.

There is now only a Product List in the Views. I can remove the pagination, set the number of products, specify where I want the urls to go to... but where do I specify the products?
I see in the module settings there is custom query string.... can I set this to point to a hidden category, as you mentioned somewhere before? Or is there another way to do it? How can I enter multiple product ids in the query?
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

It sounds like you are almost there.... and if I hadn't forgotten to document that part of the query string, you probably could have gotten it! Here's what you need to do:
  1. Add a product list module to the page where you want to display the 'product block'.
  2. Click the "settings" icon for the module.
  3. Configure your module's settings like so:
  4. In the Custom query string field, you can enter product IDs separated by commas. For example: p=850800195448491,194700040367924
  5. Make sure you also choose the "Use custom query" option.
  6. Configure the module's layout by clicking the template icon.
  7. Update your store.
  8. I did something like this but you can configure the layout to look anyway you want it to look:

It's much easier in V3 to get product blocks looking exactly how you want!

Eric
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Okay so that would work.
But also, while you were busy creating that, I also just found the "Hidden" option for a category. So is this an alternative way to do it?
Set up a hidden category of the most popular products and then use a custom query, on a product list module, to only show that category?
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM

By using a hidden category, that way it would be easier to actually "see" what products I had in the "most popular" category, rather than a list of meaningless numbers.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagonia View Post
But also, while you were busy creating that, I also just found the "Hidden" option for a category. So is this an alternative way to do it?
Set up a hidden category of the most popular products and then use a custom query, on a product list module, to only show that category?
Yes, that's also another way to do it. Just add "c=123456" or "c=category-slug" to the query string field and those hidden products should be viewable.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagonia View Post
By using a hidden category, that way it would be easier to actually "see" what products I had in the "most popular" category, rather than a list of meaningless numbers.
I agree, it's much easier to manage. I just tested using a hidden category and it worked beautifully!