Datafeedr Support Forums

Datafeedr Support Forums (/index.php)
-   Questions (/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   One product, multiple categories (/showthread.php?t=6490)

dk3 March 13th, 2012 09:34 AM

One product, multiple categories

Hi Eric!

How can I add one product into multiple categories? The way my store is set up, I have one main category and then several sub categories. I'd like to know how I can add the product to the main category (clothes) and the specific category (swimwear).

Thank you. :confused:

Eric March 13th, 2012 09:56 AM

Hi

That depends... Do you want the main category to ONLY display products from its sub-categories or do you want the main category to have different products than its sub-categories?

Eric

dk3 March 13th, 2012 10:19 AM

I'd like the main category to display items from the subcategories. So if I add items to dresses, swimwear, etc - the items go into the main category as well.

Eric March 13th, 2012 10:23 AM

Hi

OK, if you want to only display products from sub-categories in the main category (and the main category has no products of its own), you don't need to add the product to both categories.

You just need to go here: The Factory > Your Store > VIEWS > CATEGORY PAGE > Default > View menu > View Properties and under When a category is empty... choose "Display sub-category products". This will give you the effect you want without going through the process of adding products to both categories.

NOTE: This strategy will not work if your main category has even 1 product in it.

Eric

dk3 March 13th, 2012 10:33 AM

Excellent. I had the setting on but wasn't aware I can't add products to the main category. This makes sense. Thanks!

And can I ask how to move items around (from first page to last, for instance) here or do I have to start a new thread?

Eric March 13th, 2012 10:35 AM

Hi

It's best to start a new thread. Thanks for asking.

Eric

dk3 March 13th, 2012 01:03 PM

What if I wanted to display items in one category and filter to another. For example, if I added a dress to the "fresh" category (which is new items) and wanted that same dress to go into clothing and dresses. possible?

Eric March 13th, 2012 01:20 PM

Hi

If those categories are on the same level, no, it's not possible. You'll need to add the product to each category individually.

Eric

dk3 March 13th, 2012 04:08 PM

Ah gotcha. Perhaps a feature to consider. :)