Datafeedr Support Forums

Datafeedr Support Forums (/index.php)
-   Questions (/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Now that attributes are gone... (/showthread.php?t=3757)

badm00n January 23rd, 2011 11:36 AM

Now that attributes are gone...

How do I specify certain attributes across different categories in the store? For example in v1, I had a "best sellers" page and I products from a bunch of categories in there. I suppose I could make a "best sellers" custom view but wouldn't I have to re-add products that already exist in my store? Next I was thinking about adding a custom query string to specify the product IDS, but what if my page had hundreds of products.. that would be a huge query string!

Any best practices for this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric January 23rd, 2011 11:44 AM

I think the best way is to create a 'hidden' category, add your "Best Sellers" to that category and then create a custom view which displays only products from your 'hidden' category.

That way you are not dealing with many product IDs, you are simply dealing with 1 category ID.

badm00n January 23rd, 2011 11:59 AM

Ooops I guess this thread should be moved to the v3 threads.

The only issue I can see with doing it that way is that I will get duplicate product detail pages. Ones that are in the regular categories and ones that are in the best sellers?

Eric January 23rd, 2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badm00n (Post 17160)
The only issue I can see with doing it that way is that I will get duplicate product detail pages. Ones that are in the regular categories and ones that are in the best sellers?

That's right... unless you edit the link.

HTML Code:

<a href="[server.url query='view=product&p=$product->id']" title="[product.name]">[product.name]</a>
That will give you a link to the product details page and not the product page underneath the Best Sellers page.

For example, before editing that link, I got this URL:

/store/best-sellers/product-name/194700040367894/

After using the new tag, I got this:

/store/appliances/stand-mixers/product-name/194700040367894/

And the product is in the Appliances > Stand Mixers category.

Eric

badm00n January 23rd, 2011 12:38 PM

Hmm is there anything I need to add to that link? It still has it going to the best-sellers URL

badm00n January 23rd, 2011 12:44 PM

Just realized the category had to be hidden for this to work. Thanks again Eric.