Datafeedr Support Forums

Datafeedr Support Forums (/index.php)
-   Questions (/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Display categories as drop down select menu (/showthread.php?t=11408)

tiptop January 9th, 2015 07:28 PM

Display categories as drop down select menu

lowestpricechecker.info

Hi

I have put a categories list on top of the home page content body, but its a simple bullet list
but i want to make it look nicer styled buttons instead. there is no option for that.

the reason for this is that on mobile devices the side widget cat list comes right at the bottom
so not very user friendly.

also the welcome or heading text appears to low on the website with too much space above, want to pull it up.

thanks

Eric January 10th, 2015 10:41 AM

Hi

One idea is to add your categories in a select menu so that your categories appear as a drop down menu.

To add your category list as a dropdown menu, add a new Category list widget to your Store's front page view.

Then add the following code to create the select menu which will automatically load the category page when selected:

HTML Code:

<script type="text/javascript">
        function redirectMe (sel) {
                var url = sel[sel.selectedIndex].value;
                window.location = url;
        }
</script>

<select name="myselect" onchange="redirectMe(this);">
        <option value="#">Select a category</option>
        [category.list before='' after='']
            <option value="[category.link]">[category.name]</option>
        [/category.list]
</select>

That will add a drop down select menu to your store's front page to save space.

Eric

tiptop January 10th, 2015 11:55 AM

Thanks Eric

But i pasted that into store default page on datafeedr the box is showing but nothing in the dropdown.

Howver I would rather have nice button for each of the category list, could perhaps add a category template with nice buttons for the categories instead of just bullet points.

I would like a rectangular button with the categorie inside in a vertical list.

This will also fill the page better.

The main reasonf or doing this is that the usual layout is very bad for mobile phones, because the categorises will come at the bottom of everything else because its a side panel widget.

Or is there any other way you can suggest to make a mobile version of the site.

Thanks

tiptop January 10th, 2015 11:58 AM

also sorry forgot please go to www.pricerunner.co.uk from your phone to see what i mean.

thanks

Eric January 10th, 2015 04:38 PM

Hi

I don't see it on your Store's Front Page view. Make sure you add it to a Category list module.

Regarding the 'button' layout, that's much more complicated and beyond the scope of support we're able to provide.

Eric

tiptop January 10th, 2015 09:22 PM

re

Hi Eric

Really you only need to add another categories template with a the categories names inside rectangular buttons please. instead of just bullet points.

thanks

Eric January 11th, 2015 10:32 AM

Hi

Correct, but you also need to handle all of the CSS styling to go along with it. There are lots of tutorials on the web for handling list items with CSS. However, doing this level of customization work is beyond the scope of support we're able to provide.

Eric

tiptop January 13th, 2015 08:41 AM

Hi eric, i have done as you suggested with a drop down menu on home page, which is working ok

thanks

Eric January 13th, 2015 08:47 AM

Great! Thanks for the update!