Datafeedr Support Forums

Datafeedr Support Forums (/index.php)
-   Questions (/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Many questions - Frustrated, Excited, and trying to obtain Patience. :-) (/showthread.php?t=10019)

TechMansoor December 16th, 2013 08:32 PM

Many questions - Frustrated, Excited, and trying to obtain Patience. :-)

askcarmel.com
http://askcarmel.com
ID: 1308012

I have a slew of questions whileI am still going through the videos. I have a few intimate questions indeed....

1.I plugged in categories to my store "Askcarmel". I'm focusing on the computers aspect of my store first. Upon adding products to my store,I add them multiple brands, the same price, and of course by the same keyword which is computer. When I try to add more keywords via categories properties like "all-in-one computer" or "all-in-one", they products do not show up in my store when I search for these products..The page returns there are no products in this store with that name?????

I guess we can start there...

Eric December 16th, 2013 08:39 PM

Hi,

The reason no products are showing up is because the words "all", "in" and "one" are all too short for your MySQL settings.

For example, if you type in "asus computer" you do get a good selection of products.

This might help: /showthread.php?t=1572

Eric

TechMansoor December 16th, 2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 46337)
Hi,

The reason no products are showing up is because the words "all", "in" and "one" are all too short for your MySQL settings.

For example, if you type in "asus computer" you do get a good selection of products.

This might help: /showthread.php?t=1572

Eric

Eric thanks for the reply..that doesn't really make any sense to me...i can type in all-in-one or all-in-one computer with my vendor tigerdirect and I get the appropriate response in call back results..but when I do the same thing for my site even though I have added computers by brand hp,dell,etc.. to my products catgory I get something totally different in my results... what do I need to do to get the correct results or the same results from my vendors on my site??? Try all-in-one computer on my site, it gets completely wrong results....:-(

Eric December 16th, 2013 11:03 PM

Hi,

The reason it doesn't work is because of how your database is configured. 2 and 3-letter words such as "all", "in" and "one" are not indexed by your database and therefore are not used in searches performed on your site.

TigerDirect is going to be using a much more configurable and powerful search engine than ships with the default WordPress.

If you want 2 and 3-letter words indexed in your database, you'll need to ask your webhost if they can make that change for you. However, it's an unusual request and they might not do it.

You can see that 4-letter words are indexed by your database because a search for "dell computer" does return accurate results.

Eric

TechMansoor December 16th, 2013 11:37 PM

Eric sir,thank you so much for your swift responses. Indeed sir, I am asking my host now to make changes. Luckily i know the owner. What you suggest I do to really refine the searches?

Like I'm not getting intimate feel I need from using this program just yet. Like, I want my consumer to really be able to find specifically what they are looking for.

For example, if I search "hp server" it doesn't give me the accurate results I want. It gives me motherboards and dell equipment. How do I make the searches more refined or more smart in a sense.

Eric December 17th, 2013 12:15 AM

Hi,

I think changing the character limit to 2 instead of 4 will help out greatly!

Eric

TechMansoor December 17th, 2013 02:47 PM

Eric sir you see this just is not making sense sir. I am beginning to get very frustrated with the software now. I just uploaded a category to my store called software. I did a simply "software" keyword and "brand" microsoft filter. When I updated the store via the datafeedr plugin everything went well. I go back to my site and do a specific search of "windows xp 32 bit", in which I saw that particular software in the first couple results when adding products, I get the wrong results upon doing this search. Can you please explain this one? I mean am I doing something wrong, or could I be doing something better?

Eric December 17th, 2013 02:52 PM

Hi,

This is exactly the same problem as I mentioned before. You are trying to search for 2 and 3 letter words (in this case "xp", "32" and "bit") but because of your MySQL settings, those words are NOT being indexed (ie. not searchable).

You MUST set MySQL's ft_min_word_len variable to 2 in order for your search to work.

This is NOT a limitation of Datafeedr. It is a limitation of your current MySQL database's configuration.

Eric

TechMansoor December 17th, 2013 02:57 PM

this is exactly what I realized right after i posted...sorry...acting out of frustation.. i just realized this right after posting..sorry..

In any case.. should I set it to 1??? windows "8" pro upgrade are common searches for IT guys, etc..

Eric December 17th, 2013 02:58 PM

Hi,

That's OK.

Setting it to "1" is pretty extreme. It might greatly increase your database size. I'm not sure what effect it will have on search speed.

Eric

TechMansoor December 17th, 2013 04:42 PM

Eric you've been great sir. The database has been set to "2".

But, I think its time for me to face reality. I might have to let this venture go. I still can not find all-in-one computers even though they are loaded into my products category. The same goes for windows xp 32 bit.

What do you suspect is the main difference between a huge store database like lets say newegg or compusa vs what I am doing? Are they using some elaborate oracle database or something?

Eric December 17th, 2013 04:47 PM

Hi,

Did you already restart your MySQL server and rebuild the index?
http://www.electrictoolbox.com/mysql...x-word-length/

Until you do those things, your searches won't work.

I have no idea what those other merchants are using however I doubt it is a vanilla installation of MySQL.

Eric

TechMansoor December 17th, 2013 07:02 PM

Eric, my host admin asked the following:

"Should the tables be all innodb or all isam, or should there be some of each?"

Eric December 17th, 2013 07:13 PM

Hi,

They shouldn't change. If they're InnoDB, leave them as InnoDB. If they're MyISAM, leave them as MyISAM.

Eric

TechMansoor December 17th, 2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 46382)
Hi,

They shouldn't change. If they're InnoDB, leave them as InnoDB. If they're MyISAM, leave them as MyISAM.

Eric

AS of now it is a mixture. Is that how it should be? Can you find out my good sir?

My host admin mentioned that they should be either 1 or the other..

Eric December 17th, 2013 08:51 PM

Hi,

It can be that way. That's the way it is now and it has worked fine that way for years.

Eric

TechMansoor December 17th, 2013 09:47 PM

Hear you loud and clear. Just a few more questions about this topic Eric if that's ok..

Was I correct about the tagging of keywords to categories?

The next thing I'm going after is clothing and adding my affiliate products. Let's say I add a bunch of brands via clothing, and in that categories properties I add keywords such as "underwear" "t-shirts", etc...

When a consumer searches for those tagged keywords, my database should pull those products or brands i specified as clothing correct?

That is the correct procedure?

Eric December 17th, 2013 10:04 PM

Hi,

It's not possible to modify the tags associated with a product. I would suggest adding your keywords to the product's description if you want a product returned by a specific keyword.

Eric

TechMansoor December 18th, 2013 05:33 PM

Eric hello again.

Indeed sir since moving to having 2 letter words recognized by the database my results are only slightly better. If you were go to my page and do once again "all-in-one computers", you see that one comes up on the 1st page, and a few others are sprinkled on the 5th page. What can we do to make the system that is on the 1st and 5th pages, show up on the 1st and following pages..????

Ive tried doing a filter using the product id in trying to find similar results, but there is an internal error that occurs. Anything else you can suggest would be great.

Eric December 18th, 2013 07:10 PM

Hi,

You are up against MySQL again. MySQL has stop words. These are words that do not get indexed because they are so common. The words "all", "in" and "one" are all MySQL stop words. You can see the full list here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...stopwords.html

There's over 500 stop words.

Here's how to get rid of the stop words feature of MySQL: http://www.nivas.hr/blog/2009/09/15/...ext-stopwords/

Eric

Eric December 18th, 2013 07:11 PM

On a positive note, other short words that are not stop words such as "xp" and "bit" are now returning proper results.

TechMansoor December 19th, 2013 01:51 PM

you're absolutely right my good sir..im having my host plugin the stop words now..more so getting rid of

TechMansoor December 20th, 2013 01:49 PM

Eric, any idea why the product id number and finding related items search doesn't work?

Eric December 20th, 2013 01:54 PM

Hi,

It's a simple algorithm that compares a few different fields of a product. It doesn't always return matching products. When it doesn't you'll need to do a regular search.

Eric

TechMansoor December 20th, 2013 05:25 PM

ok..turning off the stop words seem to have done the trick...we'll need to monitor performance now but my results are coming in much better now and more linear to search results...I'm going to start a new post for my other questions Eric so the users can benefit..Thank you so much for all of your help! Thank you!!