Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old November 14th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Default Advice on Indexing / Non-Indexing

http://SportStylist.com
http://sportstylist.com/store

Hi Guys,

I'm sure you are asked this question a lot and I know it depends on the goals of the site and a number of factors.

Should we be non-indexing every page in our store?

The traffic of our site and sales were hit quite considerably at the end of September / beginning of October. Whilst we used to punch high generically in the google rankings for a lot of the products in our store…we now don't appear to rank nearly so high.

As discussed in a previous conversation with Eric, the future plan is to pull sportstylist.com onto a bespoke platform using the V4 Datafeedr API - but in the interim, it would help us to continue getting sales on the current platform!

Is our site too affiliate heavy? We currently have about 7000 products on the site but we are beginning to change product descriptions, add reviews etc

Would appreciate some general advice / tips here - mainly around indexing and non indexing.

Thanks
Richard
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM

It all depends.

Personally I have never blocked store pages on my sites. But that's because my stores are really small (a couple of dozen products or so).

The main part of my sites is content (like review blog posts with comparison sets, "101" articles, how to articles, ...) and a small store in the background.

On the other hand if your site contains many thousands of products and hardly useful content blocking your store pages may be an option to consider.

It may help if you understand what Google's advice is when it comes to affiliate sites.

Google doesn't like "thin" affiliate sites - whether that's a store or any other type of affiliate site.

Read Google's advice about affiliate sites: http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=76465 and keep the guidelines in mind when building your site.

Your focus should be on adding unique content and value and on making the affiliate program content (= store content) only a small part of your site.

You can create value by adding:

- original reviews (personally I prefer 1000+ word reviews)

- comparison articles (compare different best selling products against each other)

- news worthy articles if applicable (launch of new products in your niche, ....)

- overview of the latest summer, winter, ... trends

- how-to articles (problem solving, ...) if applicable

Then try to rank the content pages instead of the store pages and lead traffic into your store through these content pages.

Just my 2c.
Old November 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM

Ok - thanks for your help Stefan.