Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Tips, Tricks & Tutorials
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM

Default Is it Possible to Merge Category content?

Hi,

Brand new to Datafeedr and was curious if it was possible to merge traditional categories from a Wordpress site that already has content into exact same category name from a Datafeedr category?

I'm trying to create a kind of store within my already existing blog. For example, If I have a custom category mysite.com/wordpress-guides; I then create category in Datafeedr using exact same category name, could I merge content; my blog posts with products from Datafeedr on same category page?

My ideal category page would have written content at top with both products and blog posts. I've created customized categories so I can insert html in category pages (mostly for SEO purposes as I would like to rank for my category pages), I currently use Yoast's SEO plugin and strip out category name (not sure if that would affect this), and I would like to strip out the word store in URL structure (I've seen video on this and will implement.

Any ideas?

Nick
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forums!

This is not possible. The only way to get products into posts is by using the Drip functionality. http://www.datafeedr.com/videos?vide...rc=yt#videotop

Eric
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:36 AM

Hi Nick: (and Eric too!):
Your question got me thinking, so I tried an example, and it seems to work:

Initiate a drip-feed into a specific category that is set up to receive the feeds. ("WebStore" or whatever you want to call it). After the drip has posted to that category, edit the post and, if you wish, insert content above & below the drip. (The drip shows up as a short-code so adding the content is a very clean procedure).

Now change the category of the dripped post from "WebStore" to whatever existing category you really want it to appear in. It will appear in chronological order, so if you have existing posts in the category, there will be content posts beneath it. Then create a new post in that category. The result is a product-post mingled between content posts, (and your product post now includes your added original content as well!).

This is not automated, per se, but doesn't take much effort.

An example is here: (no spam intended; gentle comments are welcome: I'm still very new at this!)

http://fitforlifeatlast.com/category/favorite-recipes/

That site is still in development so please don't be too harsh ...
And I realize a heart-rate monitor in a recipes category is a stretch, but it was for examples sake! (Although not a true cliff-hanger, I must admit the segue was, um, innovative ...)

Question for Eric: (I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but it's late & I just want to throw it out there):
Is there a way to schedule a drip for a specific product? If so, then this could become a way of interlinking relevant products with content, and with a little forethought, the 'cliffhanger' could be genuinely effective!

Hope that is useful!
Markz

Last edited by markz : January 27th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Question for Eric: (I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but it's late & I just want to throw it out there):
Is there a way to schedule a drip for a specific product? If so, then this could become a way of interlinking relevant products with content, and with a little forethought, the 'cliffhanger' could be genuinely effective!
There's no way to schedule a specific product, just specific product categories.

Eric
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Suppose I really want to embed a hot product within a blog category, would this work:

The Product is The All New Super Duper 1234-ABC Thing-A-Majiggy. It's currently in my store in the Thing-A-Majiggy category.
Could I create a new category, ("NewCatForDrips"), and add only the desired product to it. The product should still be included in the Thing-A-Majiggy category also, so I've done no damage to my existing store, correct?

Next, manually drip the new category into my store. Then do what I mentioned above to get the product in my blog category with posts around it.

Finally, delete the "NewCatForDrips" category from the Factory, so it doesn't appear in any category listings on my site. (Since I'm using custom menus on my site to display categories, this step could be eliminated, and I'd have the category in the factory ready for the next single product addition).

Seems like that should work ... any thoughts?

Thanks!
Markz
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Datafeedr Team

Or you could just add it using the short code and its product ID like this:

[DFR:drip?p=1632600194192615]
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:51 PM

But what would I do with all the spare time you just saved me?
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
But what would I do with all the spare time you just saved me?
Build more stores!
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM

That would mean I'd need to upgrade my subscription ...

... I think I'm being up-sold here! Clever of you!
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
That would mean I'd need to upgrade my subscription ...

... I think I'm being up-sold here! Clever of you!
Guilty