Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM

Default Can I have a US and UK store under same store?

Hi,

I think I've done as much as I can in terms of putting together the store here and your video tutorials are 1st class btw.

I have some questions now that I hope someone may be able to guide me, I've spent a good while here reading posts and trying to figure it out but not succeeding:
  • Can I have 2 separate tabs along the top, one saying UK Store and one saying US Store?
  • How do I ensure that merchants products go into the right store?
  • Are there any videos showing how to have category drop downs along the top bar? Maybe that is a WP tutorial.........
  • Now I think the store is put together as much as I know how at the moment, is there a kind of 'check list' video so I can check off I've maximised it as best I can?

Sorry for so many questions but this is all really new to me. I'm looking at all the advanced guys in the forum talking about strings, php etc and thinking "what am I not doing?"

Thanks again Eric & Stefan

Trish

If you need it my url is - http://DogBedShowroom.com
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Yes, you can have 2 different currencies in one store but they can't be divided into 2 tabbed sections (like you described). Not unless you have a subdomain or subfolder for each currency:

DogBedShowroom.com/us
DogBedShowroom.com/uk

That would require building 2 stores and installing WP in 2 different locations.

That's the only way that it's really possible to support dual currencies while keeping the products separate from each other.

Eric
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks Eric, back to the drawing board now to create another store

Trish
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:47 AM

Default Separate UK and US stores on same domain

Hi Trish

I have done something similar to what you want on my Anything Left Handed site here:

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk

The root of the domain contains my own in-house e-commerce shop and a "real" wordpress blog and you can see links on the top menu bar of both to "UK Links" and "USA Links" - these are just wordpress links going to two separate folders as suggested above.

/uk/
/us/

Each of these folders has a complete stand-alone installation of Wordpress in it with adaptations of the custom theme I use in my main blog plus I have two completely separate shops set up in Datafeedr that then update into those two wordpress setups. (I have just upgraded both the V3 and am still getting to grips with the new ways of formatting so it is not looking perfect yet but is fully functional).

It is a bit fiddly to set it all up and you have to make sure you know which wordpress, shop etc you are working in to make sure it all stays consistent and get all the links between the various areas sorted out but once I got it all working it is really neat (well, I think so anyway!)

The biggest challenge is making sure that I only use UK merchants with Sterling pricing on their sites in my UK store and merchants with US Dollar pricing in the US store. At the moment, Datafeedr does not give any indication of what currency merchants use to price their products which makes life very difficult. I have mentioned this in the forum before but will raise it again as a feature request in case anything can be done now things have moved along a bit.

If anyone else has ideas on how to do this better I would be delighted to hear them and will always be happy to give things a try.

Best wishes to all
Keith

Left Handed UK Datafeedr site
Left Handed USA Datafeedr site
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithlefty View Post
At the moment, Datafeedr does not give any indication of what currency merchants use to price their products which makes life very difficult. I have mentioned this in the forum before but will raise it again as a feature request in case anything can be done now things have moved along a bit.
We do store the currency in V3 as a separate field if the merchant provides that kind of information of course.

Just click on the more info link of a product record in the Factory and you'll notice a separate currency field.

Note that not all networks provide a separate datafeed field for currency and if they do not all merchants use that field. That's why you may see empty currency fields.

BTW nice us/uk integration on your site!
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM

Thanks Stefan
I understand the issue and having the currency on the product is definitely a help. Shame there is not some standard way for merchants to declare what their home country or currency is so it could show in the merchant list.
Keith
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithlefty View Post
Hi Trish

I have done something similar to what you want on my Anything Left Handed site here:

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk

The root of the domain contains my own in-house e-commerce shop and a "real" wordpress blog and you can see links on the top menu bar of both to "UK Links" and "USA Links" - these are just wordpress links going to two separate folders as suggested above.

/uk/
/us/

Each of these folders has a complete stand-alone installation of Wordpress in it with adaptations of the custom theme I use in my main blog plus I have two completely separate shops set up in Datafeedr that then update into those two wordpress setups. (I have just upgraded both the V3 and am still getting to grips with the new ways of formatting so it is not looking perfect yet but is fully functional).

It is a bit fiddly to set it all up and you have to make sure you know which wordpress, shop etc you are working in to make sure it all stays consistent and get all the links between the various areas sorted out but once I got it all working it is really neat (well, I think so anyway!)

The biggest challenge is making sure that I only use UK merchants with Sterling pricing on their sites in my UK store and merchants with US Dollar pricing in the US store. At the moment, Datafeedr does not give any indication of what currency merchants use to price their products which makes life very difficult. I have mentioned this in the forum before but will raise it again as a feature request in case anything can be done now things have moved along a bit.

If anyone else has ideas on how to do this better I would be delighted to hear them and will always be happy to give things a try.

Best wishes to all
Keith

Left Handed UK Datafeedr site
Left Handed USA Datafeedr site
Hiya Keith,

Thanks for this and I just love your site. That is exactly what I would like to do. What a great idea, a site for left handed people, I would never have thought of something like that, good on you.

I don't know if I would be able to get around all the technicalities of how you have done this. You say here Keith "Each of these folders has a complete stand-alone installation of Wordpress in it with adaptations of the custom theme I use in my main blog plus I have two completely separate shops set up in Datafeedr that then update into those two wordpress setups."

So if I follow you right Keith, would I do something like this please?

One store called 'Dog Beds UK' and another store called 'Dog Beds US'
I would then upload via Filezilla a separate wordpress into each of those. So would I have 3 in total Keith, one for each store and one that brings them together?

Please excuse my questions if they're really stupid, I've never done anything like this until now so trying to get my head around it all.

Love your site though, brilliant job!

THanks
Trish