Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > General > News & Announcements
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Datafeedr Team

Thumbs up New Factory... Launched!

The new Factory is now live and in Beta!

We are very excited to hand over the keys and let you take the new Factory for a test drive. We've added over 30 million new products (bringing the total to 33,969,772 products) and nearly 200 new merchants, mostly from Commission Junction and ShareASale.

Feel free to login and start building and downloading new shops!

We've imported your old Factory's shops to the new Factory so you should already have some shops waiting for you in the new Factory.

Here are a couple of important points regarding the new Factory that you should keep in mind:

1. You MUST upgrade to version 1.3 of the Datafeedr plugin. This is not optional!
http://www.datafeedr.com/members/download/

2. If you created a shop in the old Factory in the past 2 days, it may not have been transferred, but it will be transferred in the future.

3. Regarding transferring your old shops into the new Factory, most of the shops imported fine, though some didn't fair so well... If you find that 1 or more of your shops have disappeared or have significantly fewer products, this is because the products that were in your original shop do not exist in the new Factory. (ex. Merchant canceled account with network or removed products from their datafeed)

4. While we are in Beta mode, there may occasionally be some downtime as we make any necessary tweaks to the Factory.

5. We'd love to get some feedback regarding your experience in the new Factory. Please post any comments and/or suggestions here:
http://www.datafeedr.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

6. As we make the transition to the new Factory, Datafeedr will be hosted on 2 different servers. One server just for the new Factory and one server for everything else (forums, videos, plugin download, etc...).

Therefore, to login to the new Factory, follow these steps:
  1. Login here: http://www.datafeedr.com/amember/login.php
  2. Then go here: http://www.datafeedr.com/members/manage-feeds.php
  3. Watch the 2 videos on the Factory's homepage. They contain a LOT of good information!

So, that's it for now. We will be moving all of Datafeedr over to the new server later this week or next. At that time, there will be a short period where Datafeedr will be completely unavailable. We'll notify you of an exact date later this week.

But for now, enjoy!

Eric
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Hi - new member here ...

It says ... new members, please download the plugin below (old version) until your account is active ..

Question: how will we know if our account is active and would it not be better to wait rather than upgrade shops?

What does it take to make an account active?
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Great question!

To see if your account is active, try to login and if you can't get in then your account is not activated.

I checked your account and you are good to go!

Let me know if you have any other questions or any problems.

Thanks,
Eric
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM

So far so good ... of my stores, I just created the http://medieval.HARTmarket.com products ....

Learning curve! I'll have to do this all over again it would seem... unless you can suggest ???

I unfortunately, created many subscriptions of tag searches - under one category topic called "Medieval & Renaissance". I thought that this was more or less for administrative purposes .. as about half the products included both terms in the description. I didn't want to duplicate products.

So - now I've got about 10-12 search subscriptions .. one category ... is there a quick an easy way to somehow get all the store categories that are appropriate for my sidebar like the other shops in @HART Market?

It was an empty store, so there was no previous products. I did have the old plugin and upgraded. I also imported it using the "Merge" radio button.

HART
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi Hart,

It's definitely a completely different way to create a store compared to the previous version. And I'll admit, at first it took me a few tries to get proficient at it.

But, after spending a little time using the new factory I think you'll see how easy it is to build focused, keyword-targeted sites. I've already built over 20 sites and there's not a product in them that I didn't want!

As for your issue, I would suggest adding more categories such as books, costumes, posters, etc... You will have to give some thought to the categories you want your store to have. But once you know the categories, then adding subscriptions and products to them will be a piece of cake.

I see now that you've added a few thousand products to 1 category via the 12 subscriptions. It would probably be better to break that 1 big category into many small categories and just use 1-3 subscriptions per category to narrow your results. I'm not sure if you watched the video but if you haven't, check it out as it will definitely provide some insight into how to create focused categories with specific products.

Another difference between the new factory and the old one is that the old one relied on merchant specified category information. That was great if the merchant actually provided good category information but so many merchants only provide the product's title, description, image and price with no mention of keywords and categories. This way, you are not relying on the unreliable data merchants provide. On the other hand, if a merchant does provide good category information, we've stored that info in the tags.

I hope this helps you out and please feel free to post any more questions that you might have. It will only help us improve on the new version of the factory.

Thanks,
Eric
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Thanks Eric .. // and, yes I watched the video when it first came out quite closely.

I will just redo - to practice - and watch the video again (for the 3rd time)

Quote:
On the other hand, if a merchant does provide good category information, we've stored that info in the tags.
I think it would be nice if there was an option to keep the merchant's recommended categories for the products. I mean, if we don't like it - we can always change it pretty readily and easily if we wanted to anyway.

HART

//// added ////

It would be also nice if you can "add all" of only one network. Say, for this instance instead of all networks, I was thinking of just shareasale and all the vendors came up. Would it be possible to include a tick box to include all vendors ?

Last edited by 1800HART : October 7th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800HART View Post
I think it would be nice if there was an option to keep the merchant's recommended categories for the products. I mean, if we don't like it - we can always change it pretty readily and easily if we wanted to anyway.
Thanks for that feedback! We really apppreciate it.

You do have access to the categories that the merchant provides. They are just in the form of tags now.

But, I think I know what you are saying. You want, with 1 click, to add all of the merchant's categories. Right? This method is great when 1.) the merchant has added proper category information to the datafeed and 2.) you only want to add 1 merchant's products.

But if the merchant didn't provide good category information, no category information or products in categories you didn't want to use, then after you import your feed into your blog, you'd still have to go in and manually move products and categories around. You'd also have to do the same if you were using 2 or more merchants because rarely did their categories match up (ex. 'Rock 'n Roll Music' vs. 'Rock and Roll Music').

Lastly, I know it takes more time to build a store with the new Factory. This is 1 downside. But the flipside is you have much more control over the kind and type of products that get put in your store than you did in the past.

I know your probably feeling like I am trying to convince you of the power of the new Factory over the old Factory (and I am ) but I actually experienced the same thing you did, but then grew to really love the new Factory and got excited about building stores again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800HART View Post
It would be also nice if you can "add all" of only one network. Say, for this instance instead of all networks, I was thinking of just shareasale and all the vendors came up. Would it be possible to include a tick box to include all vendors ?
This is already possible.

If you type in a keyword, tag or price with no network selected, the results will be for all networks and merchants.

If you just select a network, the results will be for all products within that network.

If you type in a keyword, tag or price with a network selected, the results will be for all products from that network that match your input.

Does that make sense?

Eric
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Hi Eric ..

I am wondering if I can do the above - except in reverse?

I was updating and converting a few stores, to include the pepperjam, the v1.3.9. plugin, and all that - and got product happy. I have in my XMAS store about 75 or so merchants from CJ, SAS, PJ, NS etc etc etc.

So - I went thru and applied to the ones that I haven't already applied to and most were immediately accepted. Some were/are pending approval and some ended up being rejected because of my Canadian Address.

My question: How can I get rid of these vendors in my datafeed store? I can't see anyway other than to scroll down each category in the Factory (i only have about 12 categories), and then scrolling each page (some of mine have about 80 pages of products) then removing individual products from these vendors from my store.

Quite inefficient and confusing trying to remove all the products from all the vendors blended into these shopping product downloads. I need to eliminate 14 vendors and just don't have the time to go through 6000 products. And, when I go into the shop in the future, and I never want to see these vendors again and their products.

Is this possible? //

HART
http://christmas.HARTMarket.com
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi Hart,

We are working on making this process easier and more efficient. We know exactly what you are talking about.

Eric