Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old October 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Default Creating Clickable images in categories

Hi Eric,
Ok I Plan on using custom views to put code into individual posts for comparison sets.

However, Im also manually created clickable images on category pages i.e. http://best-toy-prices.co.uk/lego/

I have just been thinking, Is there an easier quicker way to do this, rather than me create these imaged links, Can I use datafeedr to do this more quickly and automatically?

If so I can create the "template" or "box" I can have each product image it displays in?

I simply just want a row of 4 images, with the link of the product name (good for internal seo), so it takes the user to the post which has the comparison set in. I guess Ill have to manually input the link in to each page...but is all this possible?

For instance did the creator of this site do all this manually?

http://besttoysguide.com/top-toys-for-boys

Thanks
Dave
Old October 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Because the links are linking to Blog Posts and not pages from your store, I don't see how this will be possible to automate the process.

Also, the images you are using which say "Click For Prices" aren't products images so there's no way to automate that either.

I'm not sure how many pages you are considering making but if you are making a LOT, then I might look into writing your own PHP function that you can put in your theme's functions.php and let the function handle this.... But that might be overkill for what you are doing.

Eric
Old October 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM

Hi Eric,
Well I have a couple of sites I intend on having potentially a few hundred products on each.

When I say automating it, I was thinking just putting an image with the product name below it, and then I can manually add the post link to direct it to the right page. Possible?

It doesnt matter to much about adding a "template" like "click for prices" around it, I could just use a "compare" button below it, Im sure thats feasible.

Very kind of you to consider the function for me. One thing I do have to note though, due to the way Im displaying excerpts below the main product image list on that page. The content has been put into the categories, rather than on a page or post.

Would this be problematic?

Thanks
Dave
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Just thought id mention:

best-toy-prices.co.uk - will be individual posts with comparison sets

toptoysforeveryone.com - Im thinking purely for linking direct to Amazon via each product image
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Quote:
When I say automating it, I was thinking just putting an image with the product name below it, and then I can manually add the post link to direct it to the right page. Possible?
Yes, that's possible using Shortcodes but I'm not sure how you'll display exactly the 4 products you want to display.

Quote:
Very kind of you to consider the function for me. One thing I do have to note though, due to the way Im displaying excerpts below the main product image list on that page. The content has been put into the categories, rather than on a page or post.

Would this be problematic?
You would just have to edit the template which displays your category pages instead of the template for posts or pages.

Eric
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Ok,
Well in short Eric, Taking this site as example: http://besttoysguide.com/top-toys-for-boys.

want to be ale to do the same as this.

But on the best toys site have it link to the post.

and on the toptoysforeveryone.com site simply just link direct to Amazon.

Would he/she create the http://besttoysguide.com/top-toys-for-boys site manually? Or can I use datafeedr to speed up the process?
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Quote:
But on the best toys site have it link to the post.
I don't see how that will be possible because how can the Factory "know" the URLs to your Post pages?

Quote:
and on the toptoysforeveryone.com site simply just link direct to Amazon.
This is easy. You can just edit the link to make it link directly to the merchant's site by-passing your product details page altogether.

Eric
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM

HI Eric,
Yes your quite right I can create the Amazon side of things no problem, sorry i did know that.

Can you factory be set up so it places the image, with text link and/or compare button beneath it so I can add the link required manually for the blog posts?
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
Can you factory be set up so it places the image, with text link and/or compare button beneath it so I can add the link required manually for the blog posts?
Yes, of course. Just edit the Product list module's template.
Old October 4th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the help Eric,
Ill give it a go

Dave
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Hi Eric,
OK on my best-toy-prices.co.uk site I have embedded the code

[DFR:Hot Wheels Sky Jump]

Which ive set up as a price comparison set, it includes in its settings the ID code.

However its not displaying on my post:

http://best-toy-prices.co.uk/hot-wheels-sky-jump

What am I doing wrong?

Dave
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I don't think the product ID you entered is valid:

Also, you might consider reusing the custom view to display all of your comp sets as I outlined in this tutorial: http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/167

Eric
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Great Thats working!

OK, so next i want to set up 4 products in a row, displaying one image and "Compare" button and set up so I manually put a link in it to point to a blog post. ( as mentioned yesterday).

By using the custom view embed method, how do I do this mate?
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Datafeedr Team

What products do you want to display?
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Well basically all the products I have price comparison posts for.

So taking this example of Hot Wheels Sky Jump. I want a clickable link, ( as described above) pointing to the post from this page:

http://best-toy-prices.co.uk/action-toys/

I hope to create short code I can place in my category, which will display above the excerpts you can see, with a row of all the other products mentioned there.

Currently I manually create these links as you can see here:

http://best-toy-prices.co.uk/lego/

Am I able to do this?
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

If you just want to display all products with comparison sets, create a new custom view, add a Product list module to it and in the Product list module settings, add the following text to the query string field and choose "Use custom query" under Product selection:

compset_status=2

Then just embed that view using shortcodes into your site.

You'll need to edit the Product list view so it links to the correct post.

Eric
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Hi Eric,
OK Im not sure we're on the same wave length here, most likely my fault.

I dont want to create the link factory side, I want the factory simply to get 1 relevant image, with either a text link and/or a compare button. Then I put the short code onto my page itself, and from there I will add the post link via wordpress.

The factory is basically just setting that up for me so I can add the link myself on wordpress.

Problem is, I will only have the short code to work with wont I? So theres nowhere for me to add the link in on wordpress is there?

Sorry for over complicating this, I thought this might be a bit of a pain, im just trying to save myself time instead of creating these images and links manually, as the images are already there on the datafeeds, I thought I might be able to use them for this purpose.
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Datafeedr Team

It appears that this is the same issue here: http://www.datafeedr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5333

Thread closed.