Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Default To Drip or Not to Drip?

I keep going back and forth on this question and can't decide which is the best way. My thoughts are below. I would love to know what other people think, or are doing.

PROS:
  • I like the fact that the drip function creates new posts. Also, the images on the drip posts are larger than the images on the product feed posts, so they look better.
  • The drip posts seems to index faster and rank better than the product posts. I may be wrong, but this has been my observation.
CONS:
  • The content on the dripped posts is identical to the content on the products pages. I don't want to get penalized by Google for this. The only way I can see to make the content on the drip posts different from the product posts is to add a header and/or footer before or after the DFR code. Am I missing anything?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Susan
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanks View Post
The content on the dripped posts is identical to the content on the products pages. I don't want to get penalized by Google for this. The only way I can see to make the content on the drip posts different from the product posts is to add a header and/or footer before or after the DFR code. Am I missing anything?
This doesn't have to be this way.

If you set up a hidden category and add only the products you want dripped to that category (and ensure that those products don't exist in your regular categories), then you won't have duplicate content issues.

Eric
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
This doesn't have to be this way.

If you set up a hidden category and add only the products you want dripped to that category (and ensure that those products don't exist in your regular categories), then you won't have duplicate content issues.
Thanks Eric,

I just wanted to clarify what you are saying.

Do you mean add a hidden category in the factory and include products I do NOT want in my store? Then Google won't see they product posts, but will see the drip posts?

I tend to add all product categories that I can think of that fit within my niche. To make the drip posts relevant I would have to have the hidden category within my niche, but excluded from my store. Is this correct?

Susan
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanks View Post
Do you mean add a hidden category in the factory and include products I do NOT want in my store? Then Google won't see they product posts, but will see the drip posts?

I tend to add all product categories that I can think of that fit within my niche. To make the drip posts relevant I would have to have the hidden category within my niche, but excluded from my store. Is this correct?
Yes, this is correct. It may not work for your situation but it is an option.
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks Eric,

I will consider that option.

Susan