Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old April 24th, 2013, 05:37 AM

Default Questin regarding product display

HI Eric,
OK usually i try and use price comp sets and have them surrounded by unique content images etc. I find this is better for seo.

However Im trying a new method.

Im going to set up category pages ie "golf shoes for men" Write unique content and then display the feed which comes though the shortcode using the ID.

Now is there anything i need to be aware of in regards to seo here?

Will having this display of products increase my duplicate content? Should i, or can I block what comes through the shortcdoe?

Will it be enough to rank from the unique content around the products themselves ( maybe this ones more a question to Stefan).
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:20 AM

I guess you mean setting up BLOG categories? Then posting unique content in those categories and then displaying related products at the end of the articles via the shortcode?

I don't see any issues with duplicate content as long as you don't display the product descriptions (unless you completely rewrite the product descriptions).

Adding a rel="nofollow" to your buy links (affiliate links) is always a good idea too.

Last edited by stefan : April 24th, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Hi Stefan, thanks for that mate. No I only ever use the titles i dont use the descriptions.

Is there a guide as to how I add these no follow links in the factory? Presumably under the product detail view?

Also on a different subject If I add 3, 4, 5 or more "saved searches" under one category name...

When it comes to displaying the ID (via shortcode) list, how does everything get displayed? ie I have a category named "4th july" - "mens". In that ive added saved searches for "lincoln", "4th july mens", "ben franklin". Will the shortcode therefore display all 3 sets of searches in a list?? if so randomly or grouped together?

Hope ive explained that clearly.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

As for nofollow's, any link that looks like this:
HTML Code:
<a href="[product.url direct='0']" title="[product.name]" target="_blank">
Should be changed to look like:
HTML Code:
<a href="[product.url direct='0']" title="[product.name]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
Here's more info on nofollow's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow

Yes, a shortcode displaying products from 1 category will display products from all of those search lists. They will not be grouped together. They will be sorted/ordered in the manner that you Product list module is configured to display products.

Eric
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Hi Eric,
Great thats fantastic thank you.

SO presumably they are sorted randomly at first? which is what i want really.

I guess I could on that page, have a search option, or price filter, etc..Would this work considering id be using short code?
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Also mate, in the list will it or can you avoid duplicate products being displayed?
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I believe products are sorted by price ascending by default. It is possible to sort products randomly. If you are embedding the products into a WP page or post, I don't believe filters will work.

Yes, you can avoid duplicates from being displayed. Just make sure there are no duplicates added to your category. This can be done by using the duplicates filter when creating your search subscription.

Eric
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Say I get a few different saved searches, there might be some cross over.

So when the list is displayed it will show duplicates from different saved searches, what you suggest wouldn't address that would it?
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I see what you mean, now. There won't be any duplicates when your store is imported into your website.

Eric
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:33 AM

Hi Eric,
am I right in saying the no follows are the default set up for each store anyhow?
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
am I right in saying the no follows are the default set up for each store anyhow?
Yes, rel="nofollow" should be added by default to the buy links.