Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old January 16th, 2012, 03:38 AM

Default Anyone using GoDaddy shared hosting?

Hello everyone... and a happy new year to all...

I was wondering if anyone here is using GoDaddy shared hosting?

I have just signed up for their 4GH shared hosting package because they're offering unlimited scalability (whereas with Bluehost you have limited CPU)...

However I was very surprised to find that GoDaddy apparently has a 1024 files per directory limitation, which would render the datafeedr product image caching unusable.

So is anyone using GoDaddy shared hosting?

If so have you experienced any problems with enforcement of the 1024 files per directory limitation?

Thanks,

Anders

Easy-Email - Access ALL your email accounts with one login & synchronize automatically on all your computers.
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Hi Anders,

I use GoDaddy hosting and have had no problems at all. I'm on the following web hosting plan

Hosting - Web - Deluxe - Linux - EU Region - Monthly (recurring)

More than happy to check anything else to see if similar to yours.

Let me know

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:58 AM

Hi John,

Thats the same plan I am on...

Are you caching product images locally?

How many products do you have in your store(s)?

And how many images in the /wp-content/uploads/store/products/images folder?

I approached support about this and asked if this limitation was also valid for their 4G Hosting (which offers automatic scaling on virtual servers - awesome!)...

They confirmed that the limitation also applies to their 4G Hosting, and that they have no intention of lifting this limit. :-(

However I suspect they are not enforcing the limit...

The store I have set up had 2000 product images cached yesterday...

Because the automatic scaling is so important I might just give this a run and hope for the best...

Thanks for your feedback, John.

Cheers,

Anders

Easy-Email - Access ALL your email accounts with one login & synchronize automatically on all your computers.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:04 AM

Nice website by the way! ;-)

Old January 17th, 2012, 06:49 AM

I used Godaddy a couple of years back when they introduced this limit. If I recall correctly from conversations on the live chat, you can have as many files as you wish in a directory but they will only back up 1024 so if you have more than that and the server dies you wont get them back.

They may have changed their policy mind you,
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks for that - I'd be quite happy to live with that ;-)

Old January 17th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Oh, dear...

A bit of digging around shows that they do enforce this limit (albeit a bit randomly):
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/g...uplaoded-files
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/h...pend-my-domain
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/t...ad-directories
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=943194
http://virtualmechanics.infopop.cc/e...91/m/157108674

Guess you're ok as long as you don't store product images locally...

Cheers,

Anders

Old January 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM

In that case I would move away from them. Loading the images each time will kill your page loading speeds, which in turn will kill your rankings.

Have a look at jaguar pc, their shared hosting is good
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:35 PM

Hi AyoroFrance,

To be honest, I'm not really sure but don't think I am caching images locally! Is that a setting within Datafeedr I can check ?

I've currently got just over 10.5k products but that's actually more than I realised so I think an update must have dragged a lot more items into the store with some saved subscriptions.

Thanks re site. I'm not that keen on it, I see all the flaws but it's only been online a week so things take time hey! Got loads of ideas bubbling away on my wish list haha.

John

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giftoly View Post
To be honest, I'm not really sure but don't think I am caching images locally! Is that a setting within Datafeedr I can check ?
It's something that is OFF by default. If you right click one of your images and open it in a new tab, you can see they are not hosted by you:
http://images.play.com/productimages..._180x180_1.jpg

They are also very slow to download from the merchant's site. Storing these images locally would definitely speed up your store.

Eric
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Ah OK I see..

Where do I change the settings to store locally ?

I'm guessing I may get busted by our friends at GoDaddy though! but worth a try I guess haha.

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Where do I change the settings to store locally ?
http://www.datafeedr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5770
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Apologies Eric I typed here before searching and found that article.

I actually have those options selected (i think) but I have a feeling we may have changed some settings due to images not loading and Stefan asked me on email to change some product.image settings, or something like that.

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Datafeedr Team

Did you also create the necessary directories here: WordPress Admin Area > Tools > Datafeedr > Directories
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Hi Eric,

I think they were all already done OK ?

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Datafeedr Team

I guess the reason why your images aren't being stored locally is because those images have access control permissions on them preventing them from being downloaded. So, even if you wanted to store locally, you wouldn't be able to download the image.
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcow View Post
In that case I would move away from them. Loading the images each time will kill your page loading speeds, which in turn will kill your rankings.

Have a look at jaguar pc, their shared hosting is good
Agree... just turned off caching to see what it brought in terms of load times, and they went from around 1-2 secs to 8-10 secs...

Will not use GoDaddy for Datafeedr stores...

Had a quick look at jaguar... thanks for the tip...

Old January 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Hi AyoroFrance,

I've currently got just over 10.5k products but that's actually more than I realised so I think an update must have dragged a lot more items into the store with some saved subscriptions.

Thanks re site. I'm not that keen on it, I see all the flaws but it's only been online a week so things take time hey! Got loads of ideas bubbling away on my wish list haha.

John
I'd say with your load times that you are actually storing images locally... have a look at the number of files in your /wp-content/uploads/store/products/images folder...

If you do get busted by GoDaddy you can always just delete the contents of the folder... might get them off your back for a while...

Good luck with that...

Cheers,

Anders

Old January 18th, 2012, 03:55 AM

Thanks Anders!

I thought my load time was pretty poor and I've been trying to speed it up.

Are you / have you moved from GoDaddy ? If you do find somewhere else suitable, can you let me know as I could be tempted to move too to not be in breach of T&C's.

If easier my main site email is john@giftoly.com but also on G+ and Gtalk etc as jrmacpherson@gmail.com

Are these forums public ? Am I about to be spammed haha.

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:49 AM

Hi John,

The forums are private, so you should be fine ;-)

I have been using Bluehost for some years now. Their disadvantage is that they (as most shared hosting providers) tie you to one server, and thus limit the CPU you can use... they also have some limitation on the number of database tables on one account, which I ran into at some point... but unless you have 15 - 20 sites running off of one account you should be fine...

I have had CPU utilization issues on one of my accounts, but to be honest I think that was related to the server generally being overloaded...

The attractive part about the GoDaddy shared hosting is that it is build on virtual servers and that they automatically scale up the server resources if your site becomes hugely popular... very neat...

I had a quick chat to the jaguar pc people recommended by digitalcow above, and they look allright too... they do tie you to one server too and there are some resource restrictions...

I will keep my GoDaddy account because I have some Joomla sites that I hope will get a lot of traffic soon, but won't be running my shops from this account... I'll just stick with Bluehost for shops for the moment...

If you search for scalable wordpress hosting you will find some other alternatives... best offer I saw I think was with Rackspace for about USD40/month/site...

I use gtmetrix.com to measure performance... they also give you the Google Page Speed and Yahoo YSlow scores plus recommendation on what you need to do to improve them...

And looking at one of your category pages I can see that you load your images from the merchants servers and that your response time seems to be around 5-6 secs...

I'd recommend you use W3 Total Cache with CloudFlare (free) and a Content Delivery Network (I use Amazon) and store your images locally to get the best possible load times...

Anyways, gotta dash....

Cheers,

Anders