Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Problems
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old June 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Default Category/Product Name NOT in Page Title?

Hi all,

My first post here so sorry if it's a easy one! Ok it would appear that the page title is being controlled by wordpress rather than the datafeedr plugin. Let me explain further:
When I set the page title in Settings>General this page title appears the same on every single page within my site. If I delete the site title the page title's are then blank despite editing the header within datafeedr views?

What I want is for my category and product detail pages to include the product name within the page title. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong or can point me in the right direction? I am using the socrates wordpress theme and also the wordpress ultimate SEO plugin.

My site can be found at the following url: http://www.directclothes.co.uk click on a category or product and you will see the issue.

Many thanks for your help/time on this

Regards
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Welcome to the forums!

You need to make sure that the theme you are using references the the_title() function in the header. If it is calling the_title() function in the header, then you will need to post everything between the <title> and </title> tags from your header.php file here and we can rewrite it for you.

Eric
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Hi Eric, Many thanks for fast response here!

OK here is the contents of my header when in Datafactory>view>view <head> elements

HTML Code:
<title>DirectClothes.co.uk | Designer Clothes | Diesel Jeans | Firetrap T-Shirts | Superdry | Fred Perry Polo Shirts | Miss Sixty Tops | French Connection | Bench | Nike |Mens Women's Direct Clothes | Offers | Cheap </title>
<meta name="description" content="Mens Women's Designer Clothes - 50% Off - Big Brands including Diesel Jeans | Firetrap T-Shirts | Superdry | Fred Perry Polo Shirts| Miss Sixty Jeans | French Connection Tops | Bench | Nike. Save Money on Big Brand Designer Clothes" />
<meta name="keywords" content="designer clothes; Latest Fashion; Cheap designer; Polo Shirts; Cheap Clothes; mens jeans; mens t-shirts; mens hoodies; mens trainers; womens jeans; women's tops; womens hoodies; womens trainers; Diesel Jeans; Firetrap; Superdry; Fred Perry; Miss Sixty; French Connection; Bench; Nike" />
HOWEVER the actual page title thats displayed in from wordpress>settings>general> site title - I want to make the datafeedr control the page titles. When I remove the site title from general settings in wordpress so it's blank so are all my page titles? Any help in how I can re-write them to include "the title () function" would be amazing as my pages are not going to rank well if at all in their current state.

Again, many thanks for this.......I can only assume I over wrote the original header code in datafeedr rather than modifiying it! Opps!
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

The code you posted is from Datafeedr. I don't need that.

I need everything that exists between <title> and </title> from your theme's header.php file.

Go here: WordPress Admin Area > Appearance > Editor > header.php and find the title tags in that file. Then paste what appears between the title tags here.

Eric
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Sorry Eric my bad, Ok here is my themes header.php info as requested:

<title><?php $metaSettings = get_option("metaSettings"); if(is_home()) { if($metaSettings['sitetitle'] and $metaSettings['sitetitle'] != '') {echo $metaSettings['sitetitle'];} else {bloginfo('name'); }} else { the_title(); }?></title>

Thanks again!!
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Can you try replacing the code you pasted above with the following code (which has been formatted to make it easier to read):

HTML Code:
<title>
<?php 
$metaSettings = get_option("metaSettings"); 
if(is_home() && !is_dfr()) { 
	if($metaSettings['sitetitle'] and $metaSettings['sitetitle'] != '') {
		echo $metaSettings['sitetitle'];
	} else {
		bloginfo('name'); 
	}
} else { 
	the_title(); 
}
?>
</title>
Eric
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Hi Eric, I have edited the socrates themes header.php file with the above code but it only displayed "Latest Items" on every page? I decided to remove the <title> code whilst i investigate further, now just the url appears. On the right track now, any ideas on how I can modify the code to show for example "Product Name | MyCustomText | Direct Clothes.co.uk"

Thanks for your continued support!
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Try this:

HTML Code:
<title><?php
	/*
	 * Print the <title> tag based on what is being viewed.
	 */
	global $page, $paged;

wp_title( '|', true, 'right' );

// Add the blog name.
	bloginfo( 'name' );

// Add the blog description for the home/front page.
	$site_description = get_bloginfo( 'description', 'display' );
	if ( $site_description && ( is_home() || is_front_page() ) )
		echo " | $site_description";

// Add a page number if necessary:
	if ( $paged >= 2 || $page >= 2 )
		echo ' | ' . sprintf( __( 'Page %s', 'twentyeleven' ), max( $paged, $page ) );

?></title>
Eric
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Hi Eric, Ok I have noticed that my page titles are coming from a page within my site called "Latest Products" Permalink: http://www.directclothes.co.uk/store

If I trash this page my site only displays the basic datafeedr contents so I guess it's important . This "Store" page appears to be the default page where my site's title's are generated from. If I change this page name the entire site titles change too. I have attempted to add your code to this page but not had any luck. Maybe I done something wrong when installing my site?

Cheers
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Can you PM me the following information:

BLOG LOGIN INFO with ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS (Temporary login information preferred)
Admin URL:
Username:
Password:

Thanks,
Eric
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM

PM Sent. Many Thanks Eric.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

This is basically a conflict with the SEO Ultimate plugin, which does not allow you to disable title rewriting on a page by page basis.

So you need to go here and disable the "Title Tag Rewriter" module.

As far as I can tell, that's the only solution.

Eric
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Hi Eric,

Spot on solution! Many thanks for your help on this, i'd never of spotted that. Now the module is disabled I have the page titles I am happy with. Fantastic support by the way. Thanks again.