Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old February 24th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Default Change product URL Path

Good Morning,

After reading a recommendation on another thread, I wanted to ask a related question and thought posting here could also help others.

It has been recommended to block the robot.txt from 'product' level so that the unique content at category level is still seen (sorry if using the wrong terms), however it looks like I have the URL's setup incorrectly to do this.

To block the product detail pages from the robot.txt could I add /product between store/ and /cs% and then block and therefore have

store/product/%cs/%ps-%pi/

If I can simply add the extra step into the path does anything else need changing or are there any negative implications other than breaking any previous links to product pages ?

Appreciate your help!

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giftoly View Post
If I can simply add the extra step into the path does anything else need changing or
No, that should be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giftoly View Post
are there any negative implications other than breaking any previous links to product pages ?
No, just broken links that were indexed in the search engines.

Eric
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Sorry for such a delay in looking at this, I have been distracted for a little while with other projects.

I am trying to update the robots.txt file to block the product pages as advised but I don't seem to be able to find it..

I know this is more of a WP issue but didn't know if it's one that anyone else has come across.

I have WP installed in a sub folder /giftoly and the domain www.giftoly.co.uk points to that folder.

If I go to http://www.giftoly.co.uk/robots.txt I can see the basic file but that doesnt appear in the /giftoly folder.

I know I'm being a little slow but........ ??

Any ideas ?

John
www.giftoly.co.uk
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

The robots.txt file is probably being generated dynamically by WP or a plugin you have installed. I'm not sure how it got there as I don't see it in your page source.

Eric