Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM

Default How to "SEO" Handle Tags, Merchant, Price Searches pages?

Hello,

This one is directed at Eric and Stefan, but I would like to hear other opinions as well.

There are a ton of new pages listed as tags, merchant search, term search, etc. (My XML sitemap is picking them up) How are you guys handling these when it comes to SEO? Are you place no index meta tags or are you leaving them and letting Google (and the others) figure it out?

I just have never been sure about pagination pages. Even a category page has many pages with the same Header information. In my Webmaster Tools, they suggest I have too many duplicate title and meta tags.

Any thoughts? Any are appreciated

Thank you!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashnow View Post
I just have never been sure about pagination pages. Even a category page has many pages with the same Header information. In my Webmaster Tools, they suggest I have too many duplicate title and meta tags.
If you find you have too many pages in a category and you want to avoid massive pagination consider to...

- decrease the number of products in the category by decreasing the number of merchants or further refining your search subscriptions

- display more products per page so the total number of pages in a category decreases

- further categorize the category in subcategories

- add a pag number to your titles and/or description to make titles and description somewhat different

Last edited by stefan : January 24th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
- add a pag number to your titles and/or description to make titles and description somewhat different
To do this add the code [store.if page="on"] Page [store.page] [/store.if] in the title field (View > View <head> Elements).

This would add Page 2, Page 3 and so on in your category page titles. Works in meta description too if you want to make that one somewhat different.

Last edited by stefan : January 24th, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Yes, that is exactly what I want. Just to make them a bit different. Thank you, Stefan!
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Stefan,

Can you give me an example how to add it to my meta description?

Right now it looks like this:

<meta [store.if page="on"] Page [store.page] [/store.if]name="description" content="Hand-picked unique christening gift ideas from the web's best stores." />

Is this correct?
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashnow View Post
Stefan,

Can you give me an example how to add it to my meta description?

Right now it looks like this:

<meta [store.if page="on"] Page [store.page] [/store.if]name="description" content="Hand-picked unique christening gift ideas from the web's best stores." />

Is this correct?
This is not correct. You should add this in your category's View > View <head> Elements.

<meta name="description" content="[store.if page="on"] Page [store.page] [/store.if][category.description]" />
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
This is not correct. You should add this in your category's View > View <head> Elements.

<meta name="description" content="[store.if page="on"] Page [store.page] [/store.if][category.description]" />
This is how I put in my category's View > View <head> Elements:

<meta name="description" content="Hand-picked unique christening gift ideas from the web's best stores. | [store.if page="on"] Page [store.page] [/store.if][category.description]" />

But I get a lot of red code, and it does not appear when I view source for the category page.

What am I missing here?
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Datafeedr Team

You can't have nested double or single quotes. You can have single quotes nested inside double quotes and vice versa.

Try this: <meta name="description" content="[store.if page='on'] Page [store.page] [/store.if][category.description]" />
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You can't have nested double or single quotes. You can have single quotes nested inside double quotes and vice versa.

Try this: <meta name="description" content="[store.if page='on'] Page [store.page] [/store.if][category.description]" />
Okay, it got rid of the red code but still no dice. I rewrote it like this

<meta name="description" content="Hand-picked unique christening gift ideas from the web's best stores. [store.if page='on'] Page [store.page] [/store.if][category.description]" />

And in view source, it shows this <meta name="description" content="Hand-picked unique christening gift ideas from the web's best stores. " />

Any Ideas? If not, no big deal. Google does not weigh the meta tags into their rank factors. The most important thing is the title tags - and that works perfect.
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Datafeedr Team

What's the store ID and View name of the page in question?
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Store ID is 6719
View Name is Christening Gift Ideas
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Datafeedr Team

I copied and pasted your <head> code into my own test site and it seems to work fine. The page number is added to the description when on page 2 or above but not on the initial page.

What's the URL of the christening gift ideas page on your site?

Eric
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:05 PM

http://www.forbabygifts.com/store/ca...ng-gift-ideas/
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Okay, brain fart - I was checking the original page not page two or three. Just did and I see it too.
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Should this be in the Tips section?

It's certainly a great tip :-)

Easy-Email - Access ALL your email accounts with one login & synchronize automatically on all your computers.