Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old April 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Default Display images by category?

On my parent category page, I would like to display a row of 3 products from each child category. How would I do this? You can see what I mean here.

http://www.personalchecksfast.com/sh...merica-checks/

Thanks
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I don't think that is possible. Your best bet is to add and display a category image.

Eric
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Wow that's a huge problem. You don't think there is anyway around this maybe through custom coding?
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Datafeedr Team

I guess you could try setting up a custom view and pass the category ID to the custom view. In the custom view you would have a product list module which would only display the product loop and inside the loop, you would have just a product image tag. For the custom query string, you would need c=%ci to capture the category ID being passed to the view.

That should work...

Eric
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Eric, I've created a custom view and put a product list module into it. I have a 3 column template inserted into the module and it constrained to displaying only 3 products.

Could you explain a little more the code I would need to use to pull the category ID into this?
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

What's the name of custom view you created?

What's the name of the Category Page view you are trying to display the sub-cat images on?

Eric
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM

The custom view is named "history" and I'm trying to display the history images on the American-checks page (http://www.personalchecksfast.com/sh...merica-checks/) using a product list module on the american-checks category page that calls [DFR:history]
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Here's what I have done and it's tested and working.

In your Category Page view, I added a category list module. That module is configured to only show sub-categories and the template looks like this:

Then in your custom view named "history" I modified the Product list module to look like this:

And that module has the following settings:

That should get you going!

Eric
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Eric, thank you thank you! It's so close.

Just a couple things that I'm confused about. Why is the padding so tight? Is it because it's in a list? Is there any way to remove the bullets and make the headers bigger?
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

You'll just need to edit the image dimensions in your history custom view and tweak the CSS.

Eric
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Eric, the image dimensions are consistent across the site. I'd prefer not to make one pages images smaller then the others. Is this squeezing happening because it's displaying within a list? Is there any code that will widen the <li> margins/padding so that it's not so squeezed?
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I see you've set the the image width in the style attribute to 220 in your view. Why not reduce the size?

Eric
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Because all the other categories look right and are set at the same as these are. I think it's got something to do with being in a list as there is less space to work with due to the indenting. Is there a way to adjust the amount of indenting within lists on this page?
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Eric I did just make all checks smaller. It works fine. Thank you for all your help. You guys give great support. I really appreciate it.