Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Tips, Tricks & Tutorials
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old October 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Default Merchant Issues

Hey Team

I thought I just add some thoughts in relation to being an affilate of any merchant.

One of the main issues I have had is the responsiveness and willingness of merchants to resolve and fix issues, even if it means they have to spend money and time doing so.

In my travels I have had to point out very politely and nicely to affiliate managers that as an affiliate I am building there business, not mine, I do not get to keep the customer, eventually the cookie span falls off and they have got a customer for life that all my hard efforts have given them.

Many merchants quite frankly via their affiliate manager either do not repsond or have a attitude that is highly questionable to say the least. I mean they treat you like some piece of rubbish.

Personally I have been forthright with some really big merchants, again very politely and all I got was real attitude and even though their products may be excellent, I am no longer an affiliate of theirs.

You as an affiliate need to remember that you are spending time and money driving customers to these sites and in many cases for very little return.

It is the volume of customers that will be giving you the return. Sooner or later the cookie drops off and you loose any further income from that customers unless you figured out a way to get them coming back to your site first and then to go to the merchants site after that.

With one of my companies which just happens to be in China it has taken me months to get some changes happening, by being persistant and perseving but they are going to happen.

Also many of the people who are affiliates have a large amount of knowledge and experience at driving traffic (you may surprise yourself just how much you know) because that is how you are making your money online.

My point here is never under estimate yourself when dealing with merchants, you do have all this experience and knowledge and they should quite frankly be valuing you as an affiliate not like some second class citizen.

With the merchant I mentioned above, they have eventually made specific changes to their datafeed, they have increased my cookie time (quite frankly merchants should be giving all affiliates life time cookies) not just 30, 60, 90 day cookies. This cookie thing is really a rip off especially the lower ones, 30 days etc.

Why did they do this, it was not based on the sales, it was based soley on how much traffic I was driving to their site and very clearly pointed out this to them when talking with them. If I had made a sale for every visitor I had sent them, I would be writing this from some sunny location on a laptop because I would have a very large bank account.

Personally I think affiliates need to think through very clearly what value they are to a merchant and though your sent visitors may not be buying from the merchant in that instant or time, your efforts have got them there. I am not talking about rubbish visitors but highly targeted ones who would be very likely come back to the merchants site in the future.

You the affiliate are of a huge value to any company and if they are not listening to suggestions and replying to support and enquiry tickets, then move on and find merchants who do value you and all the effort you are making for them.

Be bold, be strong and be courageous and never let these merchants put you down in any way at all.

Last edited by nzcid : October 26th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Do you mind if I pass on this information to an affiliate manager who is writing an article for merchants?

Eric
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hi,

Do you mind if I pass on this information to an affiliate manager who is writing an article for merchants?

Eric
Hey Eric - no I dont mind as long as there is some credit where credit is due You may wish to pass along that I spoken to quite a few affiliates and many of them are getting really jumpy about what is happening right across this affiliate business, a lot to do with google, also a lot to do with how merchants do absolutely nothing for affiliates, meaning help them help themsleves so it becomes a win / win situation for all concerned. Days of merchants simply joining companies like shareasale or such like and expecting affiliates to market their goods are coming to a close because affiliates are getting smarter and demnding more to help them suceed and this should be coming from the merchants and currenlty it is not.

I belong to an Internet Marketing group in Auckland New Zealand and I can tell you affilates are starting to hurt a lot with what is happening within the affilate arena and quite frankly are tired of all the BS stuff around and tired of its all about me attitude coming from a lot of merchants and as I said merchants failing BIG BIG time to help their affiliates become successful. Why dont they have partnerships to help the affiliates with marketing etc.

Guess you tell I am a little bit *********************** with merchants and the commission structure and the whole way the affiliate thing is structured and works and being treated a some STUPID low class citizen

It is a divide and conquer thing and the thing is affiliates just sit back and take all this nonsense.

AND it has an impact on companies such as yours - you Guys would of noticed I gone from 5 shops to one... Have you asked me why??? It is because of this issue...

Last edited by nzcid : October 26th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.