Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Default Custom Views in Product Lists

I originally built my site with too many custom views and by doing so it takes too long to make a simple change (I have to update all views). As I understand datafeedr more I realized I didn't need to do that and fixed it to reference one custom view.

I want to do the same thing with my product list page as it uses the same display layout. Is there a way to create a custom view that the product list can reference so I can keep all product lists consistent?

If so will this work with pagination as well if it is included in the custom view?
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I guess by "product list page" you mean the Category Page views? The default view for those pages is controlled by this view: The Factory > Your Store > VIEWS > CATEGORY PAGE > Default.

So if you configure the Default page, then all of your category pages (ie. Product list pages) will look the same.

By default, this is how Datafeedr is out-of-the-box.

Eric
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM

No what I have is multiple category pages that have a product list module in them. That product list module only holds the layout of the images be pulled in that category. Can I create a custom view and call it in the product list module?
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Maybe I'm more clear by asking can you call a custom view from within a product list module? If so what code do I use?
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaje View Post
Can I create a custom view and call it in the product list module?
Yes, you can do that using a shortcode: http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/185

Eric
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM

I guess to finish this off, I was looking for this code to add to my product list module so that I could pull a custom view

<?php echo datafeedr_tag('Add-Custom-Cat-Name?c='.$category->id); ?>

which does work, however doing this doesn't allow the page pagination to work.
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Datafeedr Team

Pagination doesn't work when custom views are embedded in other pages.

Can you explain what you are trying to do exactly?
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM

I have multiple categories. Almost all of the categories have the same product list code in them.

<div class="pl">
[product.each]
<div class="t1 col3">

<div class="image"><a href="[product.url]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="[product.name]">[product.image direct='1' tag='1' style="width:210px;height:100px"]</a></div>
<div class="backer"><a href="[product.url]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="[product.name]"><center>[product.name]</center></a><br />

</div>

<div class="clearingdiv"> </div>
</div>
[product.end]
<div class="clearingdiv"> </div>
</div>

Say I want to change the width or height attributes on the above code, then I have to individually go into every category page's product list to change the code (over 100 category pages).

I was hoping there was a way to set a custom product list module and assign that module to whatever categories I wish.
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

That's what I thought. You should only have 1 Category Page view to handle all categories that are the same. That should be your "Default" view.

If you need to have a custom layout for a particular category, then that's when you should create a new Category Page view. But for the most part, just use the Default view and the default code for that view to do everything you need to do. One change can affect all of your categories. There is no need to create all of those custom category page views...

Eric
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM

You've confused me Eric, as I have to create new category pages for each category right? (So I can add custom text, meta tags, page title etc.) If I create a category page then the default doesn't work any longer. So you are saying don't create category pages or custom views? All of my problems right now are happening in the category pages not the custom views.
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
You've confused me Eric, as I have to create new category pages for each category right?
No, this is incorrect.

Quote:
(So I can add custom text, meta tags, page title etc.)
Titles and meta tags can be handled in the Category Properties section. Just fill in the category's name, description and keywords and you can use placeholders such as [category.name], [category.description] and [category.keywords] anywhere in the modules in the Category Page view.

Quote:
If I create a category page then the default doesn't work any longer. So you are saying don't create category pages or custom views?
Yes, that is what I am saying.... unless you really need them... but it sounds like you don't need them.

Eric