Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Problems
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM

Default Search Operators returning unexpected results

Hi,

I'm guessing that I must be doing something wrong in my search, but I can't for the life of me work out what it is!

I am using the following search...

Product Name: enclosure -"trampoline with enclosure"|"Trampoline and Enclosure"|playmobil
Merchants: Hamleys, Prezzybox, Super Tramp Direct, Tesco.com, The Kids Window, Toys R Us

...and what I am expecting it to do is return products that have the word 'enclosure' in the product name, but not those that that have either 'trampoline with enclosure', 'trampoline and enclosure', or Playmobil in the product name.

What I am getting back is products where the product names are things like '8ft Trampoline and Enclosure'.

This contains the phrase that I asked to be excluded!

Also, when it brings back the results the words 'trampoline' and 'enclosure' are highlighted in the product name, but not the word 'and'. Surely if the highlighting is indicating what it is filtering on then the whole phrase should be highlighted?

Is there a problem or am I doing something really dumb? I can't for the life of me work out why this isn't working or what I need to do to get the results that I want for this category.

Thanks

Chris
shop=7168

Last edited by oconnor : November 2nd, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: forgot to include store identifier
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I think you were close but it's an unexpected conflict of search terms. Return products with "enclosure" but not with "... enclosure".

I would solve it this way by doing this search on the product name field:

enclosure -trampoline|playmobil

That returns all products with the word enclosure in the name but not products that have the word trampoline or playmobil in the name.

As for the "and" not being highlighted, it's a stopword and ignored.

Eric
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM

Hi Eric,

The problem is that the products I am trying to group in the category are trampoline enclosures. I just want the enclosures on their own in that category. I don't want to list trampolines that come with enclosures, so that's why I had my filter containing the phrases it had.

If I was to use your suggestion of...

enclosure -trampoline|playmobil

...then wouldn't that ignore all the items that are called a 'trampoline enclosure' ? Those are the very ones that I want (apart from the ones supplied with a trampoline!).

I get your point about 'and' being a stop word and not being highlighted. Does that mean that 'and' is also being ignored when I use it as a phrases to be filtered on?

From your reply...

Quote:
I think you were close but it's an unexpected conflict of search terms. Return products with "enclosure" but not with "... enclosure".
...it looks like that might be the case?

Chris
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I see... That's a tricky one!

I would probably set up a subscription like this and then click the "block from category" link to remove the trampolines. I don't often recommend using the "block" links but in this case, you might have to.

Eric