Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old February 7th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Default search results problems

I've noticed that in order to find a product from the main search bar of my store you really have to know what the product is called. I'm trying to broaden the results a bit but not sure how to do it without going to far in the other direction. I'm hoping if I give you an example of the problem you could give me a suggestion?

If someone was looking for all results for golf putters, and wanted a particular and popular brand, one might search for "odyssey putter" or "odyssey putters". If you did either of those you'd get zero results.

However if you search for "odyssey" or "putter" or "putters" you get plenty of results. I checked and many results show the words "odyssey" and "putter" or "putters" in the title. So I don't know why when you type both words you get no results.

here is the code I think you might need to see under the search category.

HTML Code:
<!-- Search Heading -->
<h2>Your Search Results:</h2>
<!-- /Search Heading -->

<!-- Search Fields -->
<ul>
  <?php if (@$_GET['word']){ ?><li><b>Word: </b>[store.get param="word"]</li><?php } ?>
  <?php if (@$_GET['merchant']){ ?><li><b>Merchant: </b>[store.get param="merchant"]</li><?php } ?>
  <?php if (@$_GET['tags']){ ?><li><b>Tags: </b>[store.get param="tags"]</li><?php } ?>
  <?php if (@$_GET['price']){ ?><li><b>Price: </b>[store.get param="price"]</li><?php } ?>
</ul>
<!-- /Search Fields -->

<!-- Pagination Links (Top) -->
<div class="pgr">

could it be as simple as changing "word" to "words"?

This is the code for the search bar located in Wordpress:

HTML Code:
<form role="search" method="get" id="searchform" class="search-form" action="/store/search/">
    <div><label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">Search for:</label>
   <input class="search-field" type="text" name="name" id="s" value="<?php echo esc_attr( @$_GET['word'] ); ?>">
    <input class="search-submit" type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search"><input name="saleprice" value="1-" type="checkbox"><strong style="color:#fff;margin-top: 5px; display: inline-table; margin-left: 5px; float: left;">On sale</strong>
</div></form>
http://saveongolf.net

Thanks,
ken

Last edited by yankeestonk : February 7th, 2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

This is because you are using the "name" field which only searches the name field. I've already outlined the difference between the 2 fields here: http://www.datafeedr.com/forums/show...2748#post52748

Eric
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:01 AM

I don't want it to search tags and descriptions. Just the "name" (title) But it's seems to only search exact order of words. "Odyssey Putter" yields zero results, but "Odyssey" and "putter" searches yield many results. The results for "Odyssey Putter" gives many results with "odyssey" and "putter" in the title. But since they aren't adjacent to each other it shows no results.

One of the results for "odyssey" is for "Odyssey White Hot Pro Mini D.A.R.T. Putter" . If I search for "Odyssey White" I get a ton of results. However "Odyssey Putter" yields zero.

So the problem isn't that I'm searching just the title. The problem is that to find anything you have to type in the exact phrase in the exact order...or just search for one word.

Here are the 3 search results for "Odyssey Putter". "Odyssey" and "Odyssey white."

Search for "Odyssey Putter":

http://saveongolf.net/store/search/?name=odyssey+putter

Search for "Odyssey":

http://saveongolf.net/store/search/?name=odyssey

Search for "Odyssey white":

http://saveongolf.net/store/search/?name=odyssey+white

The search for Odyssey will retrieve many results with both search terms in the title. So it's not that the words aren't in the title, it's that they may not be in the exact order. Is their a way for this to search for words in the title and not "a word" or an exact match?
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Yes, that is a limitation of the "name" search. It's phrasal. The "word" search is more open.

Unfortunately there's no workaround for this.

Eric
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM

That's a big problem that you guys should really address. Nextag and the other big price comparison stores can search title much broader. The tag and description searches are way too broad and return many false results. Not being able to find items in a title search unless you type the exact phrase is useless unless you know the exact phrase. You really should address this.