Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Default Products on part of the home page

Hi Eric,
This is our new theme: http://themes.tielabs.com/?theme=jarida
If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a scrolling box and a banner ad going across the page horizontally. In theory, the theme allows me to input HTML code into these sections if I want to place an ad in there, but these sections are not really widgetized in the same way that the sidebar is. Is it possible for me to put some store products in there instead of just in the sidebar? I want 2 rows of store products going across the page horizontally.
Thank you.
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I'm not sure how you would integrate products into the horizontal scrolling area at the bottom of the page.

If you know the proper HTML markup, then you simply need to create a new Custom View in the Factory, add a Product list module to the view and then add the necessary HTML to structure the data.

However if it's generated via JavaScript, it might be even trickier.

Eric
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:37 AM

That's the problem. I don't know the proper HTML markup. I thought you would help me with that. In the sidebar, the markup is created by your widget, right? So, how would I know it?
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

The proper HTML is dictated by your theme, not by Datafeedr. That is the problem, I don't know what the proper HTML markup is for the slider section at the bottom of that theme.

But the thing to know besides knowing the HTML required is how to embed store elements into your theme when a widget is not available. In this case you will use shortcodes.

Here are some examples of shortcodes: http://www.datafeedr.com/docs/item/185

You will need to use the PHP version (at the bottom of the page) and embed the PHP code into your theme's template file in the right place. I'm not sure what the right place is because that is completely dependent on your theme.

So basically, you will create a new Custom View or Widget, add a Product list module to the view, add the required HTML to format the slider as your theme requires and then using the shortcodes embed that widget into your template file.

Eric
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM

OK, so I created a widget. Now, I have to add the correct PHP tag into my HTML input field? So if I use this shortcode: <?php echo datafeedr_tag('widget/my-custom-widget'); ?>
I assume I have to insert the name of my widget into it? What is the name of my new Widget?
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Now you can access the widget via a shortcode in your templates like this:

PHP Code:
<?php echo datafeedr_tag('widget/home-page-bottom'); ?>
Eric
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM

That did not work. Nothing appeared. I have a feeling it wants just straight HTML.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

It worked for me. I imported your store into my test site and placed <?php echo datafeedr_tag('widget/home-page-bottom'); ?> into my theme's footer.php file and it output 10 products right into the footer.

I would make sure you are editing the right file as well as ensure that no caching plugin is running on your site or that your site's cache is cleared after every code change that you make.

Eric
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Eric,
When you say "footer", you mean the actual footer? I was talking about the Home Page Builder. There is a section in the theme's settings called Home Page Builder. That's what I was talking about.
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I was talking about my theme's footer.php file.

However if you are using some type of GUI page builder, you'll need to ask your theme developer how you are able to load PHP into a section of your page.

By default, loading PHP via a GUI page builder is probably going to be disabled for security reasons.

Eric
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM

OK, I"m trying to replicate what you're talking about, but without success. Where exactly did you enter that shortcode?
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:13 PM

Yes, I think that's what's happening. I need to enter the code via GUI. That's why I think it needs to be HTML, not PHP.
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolique View Post
OK, I"m trying to replicate what you're talking about, but without success. Where exactly did you enter that shortcode?
I put it in the theme's footer.php file however our themes are probably very, very different.

Quote:
Yes, I think that's what's happening. I need to enter the code via GUI. That's why I think it needs to be HTML, not PHP.
I would ask the theme developer how you can get some PHP into your template files.

Eric
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:51 PM

OK, I'll try
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:29 AM

Eric, here is what the developer had to say:

That is not a wordpress shortcode it is a php statements .. theme banners areas supports shortcodes which be something like

to add a php code you need to edit theme php files and add the code manually in it.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:42 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

That's what I thought. Ask the developer what theme file to edit.

Eric
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Here is what he says:

edit index.php file in the main theme folder and add the code above
<?php get_footer(); ?>
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Here is what he says:

edit index.php file in the main theme folder and add the code above
<?php get_footer(); ?>
That sounds about right. Did you do that?
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Yes. I placed the tag: <?php echo datafeedr_tag('widget/home-page-bottom'); ?> just where he said. But nothing happened. No change whatsoever. What am I dong wrong?
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I'm sorry but I really can't say why it's not working. I imported your store into my test site, placed this code <?php echo datafeedr_tag('widget/home-page-bottom'); ?> in my theme's footer.php file and it works fine for me...

It's not an issue with Datafeedr. I'm guessing the code is not being inserted into the right place in your index.php file...

Eric