Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Problems
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old May 14th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Default problem with a category

Hi

We seem to have a problem with one of our store categories- dresses.

I noticed last week that all products in this category by ASOS have disappeared, even though I have made no changes to the filters. I have successfully added these products back by using 'add products to this category' feature.

Now all products in this category by few other merchants (incl. John Lewis and House of Fraser) have also disappeared. Again, I made no changes and if I make a search using the same filters as I already have set up, these products show up in the search results.

Can you please look into this?

Thanks
yuliya
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Even if you don't change your filters products can still disappear.

If merchants change product information in their datafeeds it's possible products no longer meet your subscription search criteria. If that's the case products are removed from the category.

If I look in your category "dresses" all your subscriptions contain merchant filters. John Lewis and House of Fraser are not part of any of these filters. Therefore products from these merchants won't appear in the category.
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Hi Stefan

I have done an update last night and all the products have appeared again. I would like to get to the bottom of the problem anyway, because it might happen again. Not only this means that we are missing lots of products in the shop, but we are also featuring these products in our blog posts, which end up just empty.

It's can't be an issue with the way my filters are set up or with no products matching search criteria. If we take John Lewis as example:
1. My filters are set to find keywords 'petite dresses'. John Lewis is not excluded as a merchant, so if they have products with keywords 'petite dresses' they should appear
2. They definitely had products with these search terms, because when I did 'add products to this category', selected merchant John Lewis and searched for keywords petite dresses there were many results (I didn't save the search). Yet they weren't appearing in the shop.
3. The fact that all these products re-appeared after the update without me making any changes to filters and search proves the point. It's impossible that several merchants had no products matching 'petite dresses' search criteria and they all added them back again at once (they usually have 100s of products, not just a few).

To me it appears that there was some bug in the system. I'd really like to understand what happened to make sure it doesn't happen again.

On a separate point, all ASOS Petite (it's a brand by merchant ASOS) products have disappeared from the feed. Before I get in touch with ASOS directly I just want to double-check that it can't be something at Datafeedr end causing it?

Thanks
Yuliya
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM

It's difficult to say what happened because you already fixed things before contacting us. If this happens again let us know asap without fixing anything so we can take a look first.

As you don't mention any product names I don't know which ASOS Petite products you're looking for. Was "ASOS Petite" available in the product name?

I downloaded the latest ASOS datafeed and I can only find 2 products with "ASOS Petite" in the product name - "Catarzi Exclusive To ASOS Petite Fedora Hat" (brown and red).
Old May 15th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Hi Stefan

Actually I just realised the problem is not fully fixed and I have some examples, which I haven't now fixed.

Currently Marks & Spencer has only one product in dresses category and Miss Selfridge has zero. Both retailers have lots of petite dresses on their site (http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/women/petite/dresses and http://www.missselfridge.com/webapp/...=1&pageSize=40).

If you search for specific products in Datafeedr they do appear in search results (for example Speziale Petite Panelled Shift Dress or Petites Peter Pan Shift Dress) and they both have keywords 'dress' and 'petite'. Yet they don't appear in our dresses category.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks
Yuliya
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Also.. regarding ASOS. If you do a search for keyword 'petite' and select merchant ASOS there are 4 results. yet we have more products currently appearing in our shop (with the same search criteria plus additional). and none of ASOS products within datafeedr have images and product description. so there is something odd going on with ASOS
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:21 PM

As already mentioned above... all 4 search subscriptions in the category dresses contain merchant filters.

That means you only search for the merchants you specified in these filters. That is you only search in the Anthropologie, ASOS, Banana Republic, Dorothy Perkins, New Look, Wallis datafeeds.

Marks & Spencer and Miss Selfridge are not specified in any of the 4 subscriptions. Therefore you won't see any products from these merchants appear in your category.

You should add these 2 merchants in one or more of your current merchant filters or create new search subscription(s) for these merchants.
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombpetite View Post
Also.. regarding ASOS. If you do a search for keyword 'petite' and select merchant ASOS there are 4 results. yet we have more products currently appearing in our shop (with the same search criteria plus additional). and none of ASOS products within datafeedr have images and product description. so there is something odd going on with ASOS
A new Affiliate Window update has run and been activated an hour or so ago.

If you see different results on your site than in the Factory it probably means the automatic update on your site hasn't run yet.

If you click the "Update Products & Settings" button in the plugin you can update your store immediately.

If you send me some product names I can check the datafeed and see what ASOS provides as product info.
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
As already mentioned above... all 4 search subscriptions in the category dresses contain merchant filters.

That means you only search for the merchants you specified in these filters. That is you only search in the Anthropologie, ASOS, Banana Republic, Dorothy Perkins, New Look, Wallis datafeeds.

Marks & Spencer and Miss Selfridge are not specified in any of the 4 subscriptions. Therefore you won't see any products from these merchants appear in your category.

You should add these 2 merchants in one or more of your current merchant filters or create new search subscription(s) for these merchants.
Hi Stefan

In my 'subscription: Dresses' there are several merchants ignored (rather than included), which means that the ones that are not ignored should appear in the store. And some retailers such as Ann Taylor and John Lewis are not specifically included into any filters within dresses category, yet they do appear in the store. So something else is causing this problem.

Yuliya
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:12 AM

Update: I just did a 'Product and settings update' and again products in dresses category from several merchants have disappeared (Ann Taylor, House of Fraser, John Lewis and more). they were there 2 mins ago before the update. I did not make any changes to filters
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Update: I just did a 'Product and settings update' and again products in dresses category from several merchants have disappeared (Ann Taylor, House of Fraser, John Lewis and more). they were there 2 mins ago before the update. I did not make any changes to filters
When I run the stats of your store in the Factory I see

DRESSES: 357 products from 6 merchants (See screenshot)

Count the number of products in your dresses category on your site. It should be 357.

When I browse through the pages in your dresses category in the Factory I see products from these 6 merchants: Anthropologie, Banana Republic, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, New Look and Boden.

Boden has not been specified in the search subscriptions but these products have been added manually.

See the "Individual products added to this category" section.

If products from other merchants were available on your site in the category dresses it's probably because you added them manually.

I can see that of the products you added manually only 3 products are still available.

All the other products in that section are no longer available. I guess these were products from merchants not specified in the subscriptions like Ann Taylor, House of Fraser, John Lewis.

By doing the update these were removed from your store because the products are no longer available in the Factory.

So it's correct you don't see products from Ann Taylor, House of Fraser, John Lewis in your dresses category.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cats.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	710  

Last edited by stefan : May 16th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:59 AM

Hi Stefan

Sorry about the delay in my reply.

First of all, I've just done an update in Wordpress to make sure things on the site and Datafeedr are consistent.

I've also just renamed our Dresses subscription in Datafeedr to 'Dresses-Main' to make it easier for us to identify what we are talking about. This subscription ignores few brands, so all the remaining brands that available in the store should be by default be included in this subscription given the search criteria matches. Correct?

This seems to be the core of our confusion. The merchants that you mention (Anthropologie, Banana Republic, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, New Look and Boden) are included in the subscriptions other than 'Dresses - Main' or because they are manually added. But actually if you go to Bomb Petite website, in dresses category there are products from more merchants including Nordstrom and Macys UK. These are featured because of the subscription 'Dresses - main' - they are not specified in this subscription, but this subscription includes all brands expect of the ones ignored. So all the other brands that are not ignored should also be appearing in the same way as Nordstrom and Macys. Correct?

When I open this subsription and press find, this is the message that I get above the results:
Search results (factory products):Save search
Found 9,697 products | 4254 duplicate products excluded | Showing 746 most relevant results

So that's a lot more than 357 results that you mention in your previous reply.

Specific problems that we need to resolve:

1. Ann Taylor, John Lewis and House of Fraser: after the update the products for these merchants have re-appeared again. I DID NOT CHANGE THE SUBSCRIPTION IN ANY WAY. So the products for these merchants just randomly appear and disappear without me making any changes.

2. Marks & Spencer and Miss Selfridge: if you browse products in Datafeedr, and you select exactly the same search criteria as in our 'Dresses - Main' subscription and select merchants Marks & Spencer and Miss Selfridge you will get 51 results. yet on our website only one product appear for M&S and no products for Miss Selfrige.

please advise.

thanks
yuliya
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
But actually if you go to Bomb Petite website, in dresses category there are products from more merchants including Nordstrom and Macys UK. These are featured because of the subscription 'Dresses - main' - they are not specified in this subscription, but this subscription includes all brands expect of the ones ignored. So all the other brands that are not ignored should also be appearing in the same way as Nordstrom and Macys. Correct?
See attached image.

In your Dresses - main subscription you chose IGNORE SELECTED MERCHANTS.

So it's totally correct that products appear from NORDSTROM and Macys UK (including products from Ann Taylor, John Lewis and House of Fraser) in your dresses category as these merchants are not selected and therefore will not be ignored.

Quote:
So that's a lot more than 357 results that you mention in your previous reply.
The number of products per subscription will change all the time as we continuously update our database - new products are added and products no longer available are removed.

However, after a site update the amount of products on your site should always be the same as in the Factory.

Currently your dresses category in the Factory contains 1122 products. And that is what I count in the dresses category on your site.

Quote:
Found 9,697 products | 4254 duplicate products excluded | Showing 746 most relevant results

1. Ann Taylor, John Lewis and House of Fraser: after the update the products for these merchants have re-appeared again. I DID NOT CHANGE THE SUBSCRIPTION IN ANY WAY. So the products for these merchants just randomly appear and disappear without me making any changes

2. Marks & Spencer and Miss Selfridge: if you browse products in Datafeedr, and you select exactly the same search criteria as in our 'Dresses - Main' subscription and select merchants Marks & Spencer and Miss Selfridge you will get 51 results. yet on our website only one product appear for M&S and no products for Miss Selfrige.
In fact your Dresses - main subscription results in 9,697 products.

However, each search subscription in Datafeedr has a 5,000 product limit imposed on it.

Because there are 4254 duplicate products (not displayed) only the 746 most relevant results are displayed (4254 + 746 = 5000).

The majority of Miss Selfridge and Marks & Spencer products are probably part of the other 9697 - 5000 = 4697 products.

That may also clarify why Ann Taylor, John Lewis and House of Fraser products may appear sometimes and disappear again.

We'll look into it to see what it takes to not count the duplicate products in the 5,000 product limit so more non-duplicate products can be displayed in a search subscription.

In any way your Dresses - main subscription is too broad as it generates more than 5000 results.

To simplify things and make things more manageable and to prevent further confusion I strongly advise to set up search subscriptions separately for EACH merchant you want to display products from so you can tailor your search criteria per merchant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bp1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	716  

Last edited by stefan : May 22nd, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM

We made a change in our software so duplicate products are no longer taken into account in the 5000 product limit.

It means that your Dresses - main subscription is now showing all the non-duplicate products (instead of the 746 products showing before the change).

The search results are now: Found 9,697 products | 7817 duplicate products excluded.

The remaining 1880 products are now displayed in your subscription including the Miss Selfridge and Marks & Spencer products.

If the new code starts to cause problems - since the new change will create more load on our servers - we may switch back to the old situation at any time. If everything keeps working fine, we'll keep the change active.

Therefore I'm still recommending to create smaller search subscriptions - one for each merchant to keep things manageable.