Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Problems
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old February 19th, 2011, 08:08 AM

Default v3 product pages not being indexed in Google

I've updated a fairly large number (over 20) of v1.x DFR sites to v3.x

The product pages on these sites were all heavily indexed in Google under v1.x, with product pages getting good longtail and having (in some cases) their own pagerank. These sites date back to July 2009.

I started updating the sites to v3 straight after launch (second week of January), and the url setting were set to map the old pages to the new v3 pages on update.

Thus far, all of my product pages have been removed from Google, and across all 20 sites I can't see a single v3 product page in the index for any of the sites, which is very worrying.

I wanted to ask if anyone else is seeing G index v3 product pages, or seeing v1.x product page urls in G update to v3.x?

Obviously there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, but I'd have thought that the indexed URLs should have updated to v3 URLs, not be completely removed?
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I went to both of your sites (CB & BB) and I see your product pages have canonical links all pointing to your homepage on your category and product pages. This is the problem.

We have taken the steps to remove any erroneous canonical links that WP might insert into the <head> element but it is possible for themes and plugins to bypass the override. You should check your theme settings as well as any plugin settings because something in your settings is inserting a canonical link on your store page.

Eric
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks Eric, I'd not spotted that, but it's now removed.

Interestingly, the theme is the same for the v1 and v3 sites, but only the v3 sites do this, in the v1 sites using this theme the canonical links are showing the correct v1.x DFR product urls.

The code generating the correct canonical links in v1 and the incorrect homepage links in v3 is:

<?php if ( is_single() OR is_page() ) { ?><link rel="canonical" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" /><?php } ?>
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Datafeedr Team

I downloaded the theme you are using and searched every file and I do not see any reference to a canonical link in the code...
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I downloaded the theme you are using and searched every file and I do not see any reference to a canonical link in the code...
Hi Eric, the theme being used is Atahualpa343, and the canonical code shown above is in the header.php file of the download (ie was in the basic theme files as supplied) - like I say it worked fine with v1, but obviously not with v3.

It doesn't appear to be in the header file of the latest release of the all new Atahualpa2.

Thanks for the feedback though, big weight off my mind knowing what the issue is! Hopefully the pages will reappear in a relatively short time.