Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old June 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Default "Image unavailable" product pictures

Hi,

I include the "images: product has image" option in my product searches. Unfortunately, eBuyer.com upload a branded "Image unavailable" picture when they don't have a product photo. So their products that do not have images bypass Datafeedr's checkpoint.

Is it possible for someone at Datafeedr to ask Ebuyer not to do this? It is tricking your system and my searches are not delivering the desired results.

Thanks
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

If a product has a URL in the product image or product thumbnail field in their data feed, then we can only assume that the merchant is providing a valid URL for an image. If a URL exists, Has Image will return that product even if the URL is broken.

"Image not available" images which are supplied by the merchant will also be returned when using the Has Image filter. This is because the product does have an image but it's unfortunately not an image of the product.

We are unable to test each URL of each image in our database as we have over 200 million products which all have 2 product image fields in their datafeed.

I would suggest contacting the merchant(s) who aren't providing proper images and asking them to check their data feed and make sure all images are valid.

Eric
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:23 AM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I understood why it happens. I just wondered if merchants could be asked kindly, enmasse, not to circumvent DataFeedr's option of allowing product images by providing images that consist of little more than their company logo.

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

We have no way to communicate to merchants en masse.

Eric
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Hello Eric

I have a very similar question. Adding the product "St. John Coral Underwire Bikini Top and Tab Side Bottom (200.00)" from swimspot.com it shows the picture perfectly. Changing into my website it does not show the picture at all, only the description. What's wrong?

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,
Caroline
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by odorogroup View Post
Hello Eric

I have a very similar question. Adding the product "St. John Coral Underwire Bikini Top and Tab Side Bottom (200.00)" from swimspot.com it shows the picture perfectly. Changing into my website it does not show the picture at all, only the description. What's wrong?

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,
Caroline
Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the forums!

Sometimes merchants impose access controls on their images so that we cannot download them and store them locally nor can we rewrite the image URL. The only way to get the image to display on your website is by requesting the image directly from the merchant's server. Here's more information on how to solve this issue:

http://www.datafeedr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6858

Eric
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Default store images locally

Hi Eric

Thanks, impressed by the fast answer
Okay, I've read through your link about "requesting images directly from merchants".
If I go through your steps, the changes will be valid for every merchant, right?
Although for the ones, where the images work fine? If your answer is yes, it seems to be easier just to not use the merchant that controls his images.

Happy to get your feeback!

Caroline
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by odorogroup View Post
If I go through your steps, the changes will be valid for every merchant, right?
That's correct.

Eric