Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM
mkane mkane is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 234
Default description limits, link and meta tags

Hi:

Quick question(s) Eric:


On my template for the store front page I specified:

Code:
 <p class="desc">[product.description cut='255 chars']</p>
but for some reason it insists of only displaying a maximum of 70 characters, sometimes only 54 ?? - In the old version longer text used to ' wrap around ' the image - does that not work anymore ?

also, my inidividual product pages ( all pages for that matter ) have the following in the source code :


Code:
<link rel='index' title='site name' href='http://www.domain.com' />
( I changed the actual names to protect the innocent
can that be changed to :

<link rel="canonical" href='http://www.domain.com/individual_pages.com' />

and lastly :

for some reason the keyword meta tag generates an ' extra ' " symbol. i.e.


<meta name="keywords" content=""kw1,kw2,kw3....>

thanks for all the help. For what it's worth I'm loving V3 ; just need to unlearn a couple of things

Cheers

Michael
  #2  
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:53 PM
mkane mkane is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 234
Default

some follow up

after looking into the source code - the 255 character are actually being generated but it looks like the template just ' cuts off ' the display. ( I am displaying a ' product list ' )
  #3  
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Eric's Avatar
Eric Eric is offline
Datafeedr Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane View Post
On my template for the store front page I specified:

Code:
 <p class="desc">[product.description cut='255 chars']</p>
but for some reason it insists of only displaying a maximum of 70 characters, sometimes only 54 ?? - In the old version longer text used to ' wrap around ' the image - does that not work anymore ?
You're right, it's being cut off by the template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane View Post
also, my inidividual product pages ( all pages for that matter ) have the following in the source code :


Code:
<link rel='index' title='site name' href='http://www.domain.com' />
( I changed the actual names to protect the innocent
can that be changed to :

<link rel="canonical" href='http://www.domain.com/individual_pages.com' />
I do not believe that <link rel='index' is being added by Datafeedr. Your theme or another plugin may be generating that code.

As for adding a canonical link to your pages, you can do that by adding this
<link rel="canonical" href="[server.url type='fullpage']" />.

To add that, go to the pages (under VIEWS) where you want to make that <link> appear, then go to the View menu > View <head> Elements. There you can add the canonical code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane View Post
and lastly :

for some reason the keyword meta tag generates an ' extra ' " symbol. i.e.


<meta name="keywords" content=""kw1,kw2,kw3....>
What's the page name and the shop ID that this is occurring on?

Eric
  #4  
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Eric's Avatar
Eric Eric is offline
Datafeedr Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,902
Default

Hi

OK, for the meta tags...

Basically, the extra double quote is appearing because some of your product names have double quotes in them.

Anyway, they can easily be filtered out.
  1. Log into the Factory
  2. Go into your store
  3. Go to VIEWS > PRODUCT DETAIL > Default
  4. Go to the View menu > View <head> Elements
  5. Delete everything that is there.
  6. Paste the following code into the textarea:
    Code:
    <?php
    $product_name = str_replace('"', '', $product->name);
    $category_name = str_replace('"', '', $category->name);
    ?>
    
    <title>[product.name] | [category.name] | </title>
    <meta name="description" content="[product.description]" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo str_replace(' ', ',',$product_name); ?>,<?php echo str_replace(' ', ',',$category_name); ?>" />
  7. Save
  8. Update store.

Basically, that removes all double quotes from the product name and category name, then replaces any spaces with commas to generate your meta keyword values.

Eric
  #5  
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM
mkane mkane is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 234
Default

Thank you as always
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.