Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Default Hidden Categories question

Eric, the description for Category Type says:

"Normal category is shown in the categories menu. You can use slash-separated names to create multiple categories at once.

Hidden category doesn't appear in the categories menu, but can be referred to in DFR tags or used for dripping."

I want something in between these two options... like I always do!

I want to have a hidden category with a bunch of products in it. I don't want it to display in the categories navigation, to make it available to the user, but if someone (ie googles spider) went direct to the url, then I would like the details page to display.

Some background why I need this:
I am fixing up a lot of my stores and in one case, I have a merchant in both SaS and CJ. I was originally using their SaS feed, but I want to use their CJ feed as it is soooo much better, as we all know to work with CJ. So I want to put all of the SaS products in a hidden category, so that any links from else where on the web, to these old products, still show (ie kaboodle). There are just hundreds of them and I have previously been redirecting them all individually, but that is sooo much work.

Another instance is when I want to test out a store with 1 of 3 different available merchants to see which one performs the best. When the pages go live, the product detail pages get indexed by google. But if I remove the products from the store, then google fusses as it can't find half of my websites previously indexed urls. I want to try a few weeks with merchant 1, a few with merchant 2, a few with merchant 3. But only one merchant at a time displaying in the categories page. But I want the other two merchant's products to still be accessible by the direct Page Detail url (for google and kaboodles sake), but not available to the person browsing the site.

Any ideas on how I can make this possible?

Oh please oh please don't say it is not possible ever. I hope it is at least a "future" possibility.
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagonia View Post
I want to have a hidden category with a bunch of products in it. I don't want it to display in the categories navigation, to make it available to the user, but if someone (ie googles spider) went direct to the url, then I would like the details page to display.
This is already possible. I set up a hidden category, created a custom view to display them and then I was able to access the products directly even though they are in a hidden category.
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Eric, I have just been trying to do the same thing, but I can't get any of my hidden products to show! Does it only work with products in a direct category? Ie if I have the products in sub category of a hidden category, does it not work?
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:44 PM

So tell me, by that theory, I should be able to just directly access the product detail urls of any hidden products in my store right?
I wouldn't necessarily have to create a custom view to see them, I should be able to just type in the product detail url and it would go to that page right?
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Datafeedr Team

I just made a sub-category (hidden) of a parent category (also hidden), modified my custom view to display products from that category and I can also access products from that category.

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagonia View Post
So tell me, by that theory, I should be able to just directly access the product detail urls of any hidden products in my store right?
I wouldn't necessarily have to create a custom view to see them, I should be able to just type in the product detail url and it would go to that page right?
That depends on your URL Settings for product detail pages. If that includes category information, then the product needs to be part of a category.
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Okay, well I figured out that problem! I had a hidden parent cat, with "normal" sub cats and it wouldn't show my products. But if both parent and sub cats are hidden, then it displays the products. Go figure!

So this may solve a few of my problems.
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That depends on your URL Settings for product detail pages. If that includes category information, then the product needs to be part of a category.
I just tested this out and even a hidden category and hidden subcategory can be navigated to directly if you know the url structure.