Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old April 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Default Automotive niche models

I am experimenting with a specific make/model of a car for an automotive niche. Right now I have added Auto Parts Warehouse and Auto Barn to my CJ affiliates in the Factory.

The problem is that searching for the car make/model + "brake pads" (e.g.: Ford Mustang Brake Pads) in the Product Name or Description returns a LOT less results than doing that same search in the merchant's store. It appears the only time the products show up is when that phrase/keywords are specifically in the product name/description.

The vast majority of auto parts are not listed that way however - there is some kind of cross reference within those sites that says Part XYZ fits these 10 makes/models of cars.

How do I get past that? Has anyone else run into it?
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Datafeedr Team

THREAD MOVED TO VERSION 3 FORUMS.
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Try doing a search like this:

Product Name: Ford Mustang
Keyword: "brake pads"

or even this:

Keyword: "Ford Mustang" "brake pads"

That might help,
Eric
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:04 PM

I tried that and as many other combinations that I could think of - the result is still maybe 10% (or frequently zero) of what the "real" total is.
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Datafeedr Team

This is probably a case of the merchant not adding all of their products to their datafeed. Many merchants do not add their entire inventory to their datafeeds for one reason or another.
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Sorry - just trying to understand how this all works.

If I do a specific search at cj.com I get 1000+ results from the two companies I am looking at. When I do this same search through the datafeedr factory I get 31 for those same two companies.

Is CJ.com's search results based off of something besides their datafeed?
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

When I did a search I got over 80 products returned:

But it seems the reason for the discrepancy is that APW has 2 different datafeeds: Auto Parts Train Product Catalog and APW Product Catalog 1. We are using the latter catalog.

Eric
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Part of the problem may be that I am not actually searching for Ford Mustang Brake Pads - it's a much more narrow niche I'd rather not publicize.

Want me to PM you the info?
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Datafeedr Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcanicmd View Post
Want me to PM you the info?
Sure.
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Auto Parts Warehouse delivers 2 CJ feeds. One feed contains 100K products and the second one about 84K. In Datafeedr we currently have 85K Auto Parts Warehouse products so it seems we're missing almost 100K products. That may explain why you're missing products in your searches. We look further into this and update the thread when we know more.

Last edited by stefan : April 15th, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Auto Parts Warehouse delivers 2 CJ feeds. One feed contains 100K products and the second one about 84K. In Datafeedr we currently have 85K Auto Parts Warehouse products so it seems we're missing almost 100K products. That may explain why you're missing products in your searches. We look further into this and update the thread when we know more.
We took a closer look to the contents of the CJ APW datafeeds. The reason we only have 85K products in Datafeedr is because of the many duplicate products that are available in both datafeeds! If our script detects a duplicate product the duplicate product is not stored in our database.

So if you do not find the products you're looking for there may be 2 reasons: OR APW does not include all its products in the CJ datafeeds OR the datafeeds haven't been updated since a long time. When I look at the last update date in our CJ control panel I see that the 100K datafeed has as last update date 19-Jan-2011 07:20 PST while the other feed has as last update date 4-Apr-2011 08:15 PDT.

APW is also available via the Google Affiliate Network with over 1 million! products in Datafeedr. Maybe your searches will generate better results when switching to this network.

Last edited by stefan : April 15th, 2011 at 08:08 AM.