Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old October 14th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Default OG Image size

http://saveongolf.net

I'm still trying to figure out why the Easy Share widget isn't grabbing an image. Although I've made some headway with the descriptions by playing around with some stuff in Jetpack and some easy share settings.

I know you're thinking this is not a datafeedr issue, but in a way it is. One of the errors I get when i try to debug this with the Facebook share debugger tool is this:

og:image could not be downloaded or is too small og:image was not defined, could not be downloaded or was not big enough. Please define a chosen image using the og:image metatag, and use an image that's at least 200x200px and is accessible from Facebook. Image 'http://wordpress.com/i/blank.jpg' will be used instead.

Since the product detail description is now correct on most attempted shares, I think the problem might be that the images are too small. (they have to be at least 200x200 pixels. Is there a way for me to set a min. thumbnail size in datafeedr? Do you think that might help and is their a downside to doing so? (for the product detail page only I think.)

Thanks
ken
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Small images could be an issue and Facebook won't "take" them if they are too small.

In the OG code we've provided, we use the full size image the merchant provides, not the thumbnail. Therefore if the large image the merchant is providing in their datafeed is too small for Facebook, there's not a lot Datafeedr can do about that...

However, without knowing the exact product we're talking about here, it's impossible for us to help further.

Eric
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:48 AM

Hi Eric,

Here are some URL's. Most of them display the correct description but not the correct image. The image should be set to blank (no default image) but sometimes it still shows up. I'm thinking the problem might be in Yoast Google Analytics? See screen shot.

http://saveongolf.net/store/callaway...8301477778238/

http://saveongolf.net/store/golf-gif...7901869457474/

http://saveongolf.net/store/golf-gif...1801528500842/

http://saveongolf.net/store/titleist...7901875246561/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OG.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	809  
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Your source code indicates that both Yoast WordPress SEO and JetPack are adding the same OG tags to your <head> area.

Here are some of the duplicated tags in your <head> area:

HTML Code:
<meta property="og:description" content="Compare Prices on Golf Equipment and Save at SAVEONGOLF.NET! Unmatched Selection!" />
<meta property="og:description" content="Product Details: Callaway Big Bertha Driver - RH - X - 13.5 $399.99 Callaway Big Bertha Driver Big Bertha Is Back, And She\'s A Lot Meaner! The new Callaway" />

<meta property="og:site_name" content="Save On Golf" />
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Save On Golf" />

<meta property="og:title" content="Compare Prices" />
<meta property="og:title" content="Compare Prices" />

<meta property="og:type" content="article" />
<meta property="og:type" content="article" />

<meta property="og:url" content="http://saveongolf.net/" />
<meta property="og:url" content="http://saveongolf.net/" />
Eric
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Great! ;0(

Thanks for checking it. I've been trying to get someone (paid) to fix the issue and I'm being told that I need extensive coding done. One says they need to add "hooks" that will be time consuming and complicated. The other is suggesting that because the share bar is in the foot area that's why it's not working. Neither makes sense to me but I keep shelling out money and getting no results. (just requests for more money!)

I know you don't support widgets, and any advice you give on this stuff isn't guaranteed as you're not an expert on every widget out there, but given what you said above, what would you do if it were your site? I can't see any settings in Yoast or in Jetpack that I can turn off the OG tags. It may be in there but I can't find it. Should I just turn one off? I'm thinking the Yoast SEO but I'd really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,
Ken
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Personally, I would not use Jetpack unless you absolutely need some functionality it provides.

Eric
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:27 AM

Hey Eric.

I found an article on adding some code to the functions php file to stop Jetpack from adding OG Tags since Yoast SEO is also doing so.

http://jetpack.me/tag/open-graph/

I'm going to try and add them and see if it helps.

So unless you think this is a bad idea I think I may have a solution. Thanks for your help in getting me on the right track. I'll post when it's done to let other's know if this solved the problem if they should encounter the same issue.

Thanks.
Ken
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:31 AM

our messages crossed on the web. My problem is I don't know if I need some of the functionality or not since I hired someone to build the site. I'll ask and see if he thinks I can just shut it off. I'm afraid if I deactivate it that I may lose the settings if things blow up and I won't know what they were to put it back. Ugh!

Thanks again for your continued support.
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM

Eric/Stefan,

Still trying to get this Share This bar to work. Right now it seems to be giving the correct description of the page it's on, but no image. While I work on other stuff could this code in the product detail be causing the problem by serving up the thumbnail image? ( <div class="thmb"> ) I'm guessing that it's correct as it is, but was wondering if there is another way to do it so the image displayed is at least 200 x 200 pixels? (as you know facebook won't accept images smaller than that.

<!-- Detail Heading -->
<h2>Product Details:</h2>
<!-- /Detail Heading -->

<!-- Single Product -->
<div class="sp">
<div class="bdr">
<div class="lc">
<div class="thmb">
<a href="[product.url direct='0']" title="[product.name]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
[product.image tag='1']
</a>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div class="rc">
<h2><a href="[product.url direct='0']" title="[product.name]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">[product.name]</a></h2>

<?php if ($product->saleprice > 0 && $product->saleprice < $product->price) { ?>
<div class="prc">
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:41 PM

HI Eric.

It doesn't matter which image from what page. Not a single facebook share will pull an image. I don't even see an OG image tags in the code. This one is as good as any for an example. http://saveongolf.net/store/titleist...8301438788967/
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

I can see the og:image tag in your code with an image of 200x200px.

I have no idea why FB isn't grabbing it.

Eric
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Hi Eric,

I saw that late last night after I wrote to you about it. I'm totally lost now! To top it off, my developer, who really is a good guy, just asked me if I could give him an example of a site that is using datafeedr and the share buttons that is working the way I want mine to! Which I find astonishing a bit since we've been at this for a few weeks. I would have thought he knew what the symptom was at least. But apparently not, or he wants to see that indeed what I want this thing to do with datafeedr is even possible.

Stefan mentioned that he is using it on his sites and it is working fine. Can I get the URL to one of them anyway so I can show my guy what it can and is supposed to do. (share the page)
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeestonk View Post
Stefan mentioned that he is using it on his sites and it is working fine. Can I get the URL to one of them anyway so I can show my guy what it can and is supposed to do. (share the page)
Sorry, I don't share the URLs of my private sites.

All I can say is that the Easy Social Share Buttons widget is working on my sites.

These sites don't have og: tags in the source but also have other themes and plugins installed.

Maybe disabling the og:tags alltogether on your end will solve the issue.

As an alternative you can try some other similar social sharing plugins.

Maybe one of these may work better: https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=social+share
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:01 AM

that's amazing that you just wrote that. ;0) I was trying to do some research by looking at other datafeedr sites in the forum here. I found one that looks really nice and was using the add this widget instead of easy share. I looked up and down and there were no og tags on the page. Never having heard of OG tags before I thought they were necessary. I guess not.

I have to try and explain this to the guy who made my site. Are OG tags static? I mean are they like regular meta tags for say title, description etc? Can they be just removed from the theme if they were indeed there to begin with? This is very confusing and I can't seem to find anyone who knows about this. I'm left with researching it and telling them what to do. Which stinks big time since until last week I had no idea these tags even existed.

Does datafeedr add an OG tags?

Last edited by yankeestonk : October 16th, 2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Datafeedr does not add og:tags.

Check your theme files (especially the header.php file) on the presence of og: tags or ask the theme developer whether og: tags are added or not.

If it's not your theme it's likely one or more of your installed plugins (like JetPack, Yoast, WPSSO, ...) are adding these og: tags.

If there's no option in the plugin to switch these og: tags off you should disable the plugin or if you absolutely want to use the plugin ask the plugin developer how to get rid of them.
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Stefan, you have been VERY patient with me on this. I'm very appreciative and I know many of my questions are stupid. But since my developer doesn't know I have to try to find out myself. I found this site that uses datafeedr. here is their detail page of an item http://nuchic.co.uk/index.php/womens...irt-white.html . There are no OG tags on this page that I can see. So I will try what you say. (their add this bar works btw!) My guy put the share bar on the bottom of every page. Which is not the best spot for the product details. This is going to sound dumb but can I put the share this stuff directly into the product detail module in datafeedr?

One more thing. Do you know if I disable Jetpack and find out later that I needed it for something on the site, can I just enable it again and have all the same settings? I wrote to Jetpack yesterday and haven't heard back. I'd like to try disabling everything you say but I'm not sure if they are needed in my theme, since I didn't put them there. My developer is very hard to get a hold of and often his answers are more questions and him being in India I have to ask a question, wait until the next day and find out I just got a question back. It's frustrating.

Last edited by yankeestonk : October 16th, 2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
This is going to sound dumb but can I put the share this stuff directly into the product detail module in datafeedr?
Yes, that's possible. Just insert the plugin shortcode into the product detail module where you want the bar to appear.

Quote:
Do you know if I disable Jetpack and find out later that I needed it for something on the site, can I just enable it again and have all the same settings? I wrote to Jetpack yesterday and haven't heard back. I'd like to try disabling everything you say but I'm not sure if they are needed in my theme, since I didn't put them there. My developer is very hard to get a hold of and often his answers are more questions and him being in India I have to ask a question, wait until the next day and find out I just got a question back. It's frustrating.
Each plugin works in a different way so it's difficult to tell whether you will lose settings or not.

If your developer has installed these plugins for you he must be able to tell you why he did install these specific plugins and what functionality these plugins are adding to your site and what would happen if you deactivate a plugin.

If you want to be sure you don't lose anything start by making a backup of your database before doing anything else.
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:20 PM

Hi ! Eric and Stefan .....

I have added these tags for Facebook fetching the title, description, image, ...
http://clip2net.com/s/j6IoQN
but it's fetching the logo
http://c2n.me/j6IunN
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

This seems like an FB issue that other people are having, too.

Eric
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM

never mind figured that out
thanks for your time mate !