Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Tips, Tricks & Tutorials
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old January 17th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Default Unique content on ALL product pages

Eric,

Thanks for your help in getting the unique content to work on product pages and categories, it's helping the seo a lot.

Have another related question though. I wish to add a unique article to each one of the product pages on my store - about 96,000. I have unlimited unique content so that's not a problem, however if I were to do it the same way as before, using the php to pull a .txt file from a folder, I would end up with at least 275,000 lines on the file which may be a little large!

Is a work around I could use where I could upload tons of articles to a folder and php include a random article?
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Sure, you could use PHP to grab a random article from a directory. Here's a snippet of code I found after a quick search: http://www.jonasjohn.de/snippets/php/random-file.htm

Eric
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:57 AM

thanks, will try.
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:39 AM

Eric, Sorry to ask another question on this and dig out an old thread....

Would it be possible to have the random unique content working on each product page but pulling from specific folders depending on which category a product is in?

Lets say I a category ID 1 for dresses, could I use a random code to pull content from a folder called 1. If I had category ID 2 for jeans, i would want to pull random articles from folder 2 to display on products in category 2.

Does that make sense?
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:58 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

Sure, you would just need to pass the RandomFile() function the folder name based on the category ID or category slug.

print RandomFile($category->id.'/','.*');

Eric
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcow View Post
Eric,

Thanks for your help in getting the unique content to work on product pages and categories, it's helping the seo a lot.
Any chance I could get a link to this? Getting unique content would be something I would be interested in too.

Thanks
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn1 View Post
Any chance I could get a link to this? Getting unique content would be something I would be interested in too.
The link is posted in post #2 (above).

Eric
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hi

Sure, you would just need to pass the RandomFile() function the folder name based on the category ID or category slug.

print RandomFile($category->id.'/','.*');

Eric
Hi Eric,

One small doubt. If I want to use the category slug, then what should come in place of "id" in the above php code?

Also, how to find out the Category IDs for the store categories?

Last edited by raj2006 : August 11th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

$category->slug will give you the slug.

You can see the category IDs in the Factory on every category page. Example:

Eric
Old August 11th, 2013, 06:57 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot.

Raj
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Hi Eric,

I tried this function. It works fine but it assumes that I will have the folders equivalent to category slugs in the root (public_html).

When I have several categories, then the root becomes extremely cluttered with so many folders for the unique content.

I would like to put all these unique content related folders under "unique-content/top/category slug" and "unique-content/bottom/category slug" corresponding to content for top and bottom of the product detail page.

How to add this extra sub-folders specs in this function so that the random file is acquired from inside this sub-folder structure?

Sorry. I don't know php, so I would really appreciate if you would help me with this change.

Thanks
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi,

Actually a better method would be to use what was mentioned in post # 13 of this thread: http://www.datafeedr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5952

I wouldn't put any of the articles in the root folder. I would make a sub-folder and put them there.

Eric
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:34 AM

Hi Eric,

I have implemented it successfully. It is working fine now.

Thanks for your help.

Raj