Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old September 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Default Reducing bounce rate

Eric,

Not sure if this is possible or I will explain it well but here goes......I need to find a way to reduce my bounce rate. I rank individual products very high and get tons of traffic from Google etc on these pages. The trouble is the users are seeing the product on my site and then clicking through to the merchant. This is good in one respect but in another it's hurting my rankings. Through a lot of studying and testing I have come to the conclusion that bounce rate is one of the ranking factors considered by the Panda update; if 90 of users go to a site and bounce then it could be considered the site is not of any value.

My question really is this; is there anyway I can add a several second delay when someone clicks on the Visit Merchant link? maybe a 'you are being redirected to....' type page. As one of the measurements of bounce rate is time spent on a page this could help a lot.
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Datafeedr Team

THREAD MOVED TO 'Questions' FORUM.
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Datafeedr Team

I guess you could set up a single php page which you would pass the merchant's URL as a parameter to that page, show a message to the user for a few seconds and then redirect them to the merchant.
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks I will try that. As I mentioned I rank very high for the individual products on my site and so my bounce rate can be in excess of 85% in certain sites! Google would see this as a poor site due to the high no of people leaving so quickly. Yet, ironically the high no of people leaving to go to what they want to purchase should mean it's a good site.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Hi Digital,

Doesnt bounce rate mean the amount of pages the user views within the website? So if they land on www.cars.com/kia and only stay and exit on that page its suggests your bouch rate is hight becuase they havent looked at any other pages/content within your website bfore exiting.

Let me know if i'm incorrect, but exit rate and bounce rate are two different things.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfink View Post
Doesnt bounce rate mean the amount of pages the user views within the website?
This is how Google defines "Bounce Rate"

http://www.google.com/support/analyt...y?answer=81986

Last edited by stefan : September 28th, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM

yes, that's the traditional way Google defines it but they also, although don't tell you, consider time on site to be part of the factor. User experience on the site is becoming a bigger part of ranking these days. You can get ranking fairly easy but if the time people spend on your site is too low or the bounce rate too high (among many other factors) this is reflected in your click through rate.

A low bounce rate is ideal but if you can get the time on site high then that suggests even though you have bounced from the site, the amount of time you spent on the site meant you found if of use.

The direction of seo and website is all about adding value. Need to offer the end user more when they land on your site. It's a great way for Google to deal with spam sites....you cannot deal with them for backlinks as that would affect everyone. The scraped content they are displaying is getting better and better, but the one thing they will never be able to do is create a great user experience