Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Questions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Default Adding a second CATEGORY widget

In my store there are visitors from USA and UK (half/half). I want to have a store category widget that contains only categories for the UK readers (since those are different affiliate programs). Right now the only structure I see possible is a Categories Widget that lists all the categories in the store. However what I need is more something like this...

USA Store Categories
-Category 1
-- subcategory 1.1

UK Store Categories
- Category 1
- Category 2
- Category 3

I have a category widget that provides the USA store category
Ideally I would be able to load a second widget that uses only the categories I choose to insert there. In this case it will be categories for the UK affiliates. A widget would allow me to have a header to say UK Store Categories and totally differentiate from the current Store Categories. It is ok if I cannot change the widget name for the current one that says Store Categories. However I need the new widget to say UK Store Categories and load only those categories that I choose. Those categories I show in the UK Store should not appear in the other widget categories.

You can check how the store sidebar is now at thriftytraveling.com/store
I do really have a need to add a UK Store Categories that I can clearly differentiate from the current ones (which are all USA affiliates) and I would like to do this without having to create a second store.

Any insights to solve this problem in an easy way?
Any code to insert in a widget text that may achieve this? Any datafeedr widget that could be use for this purpose?
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

I covered that here: http://www.datafeedr.com/forums/show...8410#post18410

Eric
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:55 PM

It seems clear to get a widget that will show only the category that I want. That example says show "children only". I assume if i don't mark that one it will show the category name and its children. I want both.

However I suspect that that category will also appear in the other category widget (the one I am using now) as I add this category to the list of store categories in the factory. I don't want this other category to show in the other list. I am trying to have two different store category lists with different and unique content for each one.

By the way, can i rename the widget for categories to be UK travel-store instead of store categories (which would be the same name than the one that addresses the US travel-store). In theory I would like my category widgets to be named US Travel-Store (with all categories below for it) and UK Travel-Store (with the different categories for this)
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

If you want both category name and its children, you could just hard-code the parent name. That's easy enough.

If you use the Widget Context plugin, you have full control over where widgets appear and do not appear.

Yes, all titles of widgets can be modified in the View Properties for the said widget.

Eric
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM

i understand how to use the widget context to show different widgets. my concern is not about showing the widgets but instead hiding one of the categories/children from one of the widgets. I understand that the category named UK travel store will need to be added to my list of categories. I assume the current category view (let's say US travel-store widget) will pick up and show this category and its children because I am just adding a new category to the list, and by default this category widget shows all categories. I see how I can create a second widget to show only one category. However I don't want this category that shows in the second category widget to show in the first category widget. How do I remove a category from a category widget.. in other words..show in this category widget all categories except parent category UK travel Store (because this one is shown in the other category widget).
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

OK, I think I understand...

What is the code in your Category Wigdet and what is the ID of the Category you want to hide?

Eric
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM

this is what I have so far [DFR:UKTravelStore?c=799513]

the code of the category widget is 156531

For now I have the category and child for UK Travel Store hidden. However when i tried above It shows all the categories not only the 799513 which should be the one for the UK Travel Store category. So, I have not manage to do this part

the second part is that i don't want this specific category to show in the other category widget which is the default categories widget 139427. This category should show only on the widget UK Travel Store
Old February 18th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

This code will do what you want in a Category list module:

HTML Code:
[category.list before='<ul>' after='</ul>']
	<?php if ($category->id != 714223 && $category->parent != 714223) { ?>
		<li>
			<a href="[category.link]" title="[category.name]">[category.name]</a>
			[category.repeat]
		</li>
	<?php } ?>
[/category.list]
Basically, if the category ID is 714223 or if the parent category ID is 714223 (ie. a sub-category of 714223) then it will not be displayed in a list.

I created a new Widget in your store named "Exclude Category". Check it out and you can see it in action on your site.

Eric
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Thank You! this is all I need for now. Need to put products into the store. I wish it was more affiliates from the UK though)
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvm27 View Post
I wish it was more affiliates from the UK though)
Not sure if you're aware but we support plenty of UK networks: Affiliate Window, Buy.at UK, Linkshare UK, Paid On Results, Commission Junction UK, Webgains UK, TradeDoubler UK, TradeTracker UK, Affilinet UK, Belboon UK, ClixGalore UK and Amazon UK.
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:04 PM

Eric, is easy to tune the store front page to not show the products from the UKtravelstore which is category 799513? I want to show only USD products.

I think those products in the store front page are this random list loop below from the front page product list code.

I assume I need to add an "if" somewhere in this section of the code:-)
It could also say show only random products with the $ currency (USD) if that's easier...

<!-- Random Products List Loop -->
<div class="pl">
[product.each]
<div class="t1 col3">
<div class="bdr">
<h2><a href="[product.link]" title="[product.name]">[product.name]</a></h2>
<div class="thmb"><a href="[product.link]" title="[product.name]">[product.thumbnail tag='1']</a></div>
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi

No, this is not easy. Sure, you could add an if/else but it wouldn't help pagination or layout.

Eric