Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Feature Requests
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old February 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Arrow Rel Canonical Tags for Non-edited Products

My big problem with data feeds is always the duplicate content issue. Now I'm a big fan of writing my own unique content per product - even if it's 1000+ products. I'll outsource it and get a bunch of long-tail traffic. However, while the content is being written (this can take months and is sometimes ongoing for years) my site will always get slapped for Panda/duplicate content. So as an SEO my option is to 1.) block search bot crawler access to the product pages via robots.txt et al. which then doesn't allow the content to be crawled while it's being written (doesn't work for ongoing content updating) or 2.) only publish edited posts (this limits my viewers content and hurts affiliate conversion rates).

So my proposed "optional feature" is that if the product description or title has not been edited or customized by the DataFeedr user that a rel canonical tag be used on that post to flag it as "duplicate content" and avoid any SEO penalty.

Honestly, if you would add this feature (which should actually be simple from a coding perspective), I would immediately upgrade my account to the top package. I think the majority of the affiliates on this site would also benefit from it.
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:54 AM

Just curious... what exactly do you mean when you say "my site will always get slapped for Panda/duplicate content"?

Do you mean that the product pages end up in the alternative index in Google?

Or something else?

So far I have not worried about this at all... don't expect to get indexed on the product pages... instead I focus on the category pages...

Easy-Email - Access ALL your email accounts with one login & synchronize automatically on all your computers.
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:49 AM

He means that google sees the pages that he did not alter yet as duplicates from another site (mostly the merchant) and removes or penalises those pages from the main index, if there are too many of those pages the chances are you get removed completely from google.
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmahler View Post
My big problem with data feeds is always the duplicate content issue. Now I'm a big fan of writing my own unique content per product - even if it's 1000+ products. I'll outsource it and get a bunch of long-tail traffic. However, while the content is being written (this can take months and is sometimes ongoing for years) my site will always get slapped for Panda/duplicate content. So as an SEO my option is to 1.) block search bot crawler access to the product pages via robots.txt et al. which then doesn't allow the content to be crawled while it's being written (doesn't work for ongoing content updating) or 2.) only publish edited posts (this limits my viewers content and hurts affiliate conversion rates).

So my proposed "optional feature" is that if the product description or title has not been edited or customized by the DataFeedr user that a rel canonical tag be used on that post to flag it as "duplicate content" and avoid any SEO penalty.

Honestly, if you would add this feature (which should actually be simple from a coding perspective), I would immediately upgrade my account to the top package. I think the majority of the affiliates on this site would also benefit from it.
That is a good idea, it would be very easy to implement this. There should be an option where you can enables this so if you did not yet edit the page it would place a META tag in the header for noindex That would even be a better solution as setting it in the robots.txt since the robots file would count for all those pages (or a very very very long robots.txt page when you specify it for each product.)